I'm looking for recs on how to best spend our wee amount of time in SD. We really are just driving through, en route from a cabin in Colorado with friends to a cabin in Minnesota with family. We're leaving the Estes Park area on a Sunday and should probably be in Minnesota on Wednesday afternoon. Though we like to hike, we're really looking for more tips on scenic drives (quickie strolls are okay) than get out and hike ideas.
My thinking was that we would drive up through eastern WY, then down through Spearfish to Rapid City and onto Custer, the Badlands, and the Native American Scenic Byway up to North Dakota. Would you go with this general (vague?) plan, or would you cut out the northern part of the Black Hills and head to Custer through far southwest SD?
Also, what are your thoughts on timing? If you were leaving Estes Park area noonish on a Sunday and wanted to be in Bismark Tuesday night, how would you break up the drive?
An added tidbit--I'm a freak for waterfalls. Oh, and we are probably okay on skipping Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse monuments.
I hope this isn't too vague! Thanks in advance for any tips.
Road trip through SD
- 1 PURCHASE AUTHENTIC PASSPORT,ID CARDS,DRIVING LICENSE
- 2 US West Coast - Car or Camper
- 3 Orlando to Salt Lake City route, end of January
- 4 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 5 Inexpensive Weekend Getaway- New England
- 6 Got Plans for New Year's Eve? Want to Count Down With a Giant Walleye?
- 7 Judo in California?
- 8 Hotels on Hilo side of the Big Island?
- 9 Las Vegas to Zion National Park - Fear of Heights
- 10 Christmas-time in New York City? Special holiday experiences?
- 11 Trip Report: New Orleans, Nov. 20 - 25, 2013
- 12 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 13 PRIDE OF AMERICA
- 14 Hey drivers, taking my grandmother to San Fran - lil help?!?
- 15 Madison Square Garden
- 16 Moonstruck Patisserie - Hilo ~ wow!!
- 17 Big Island Hawaii - stay in Kona AND Hilo? Also when are school holidays?
- 18 hawaii for 10 weeks
- 19 First timers in Kauai--would love advice/suggestions
- 20 Bowers Museum - Need Restaurant Suggestions Nearby
- 21 Eataly in Chicago -- Coming Soon!
- 22 Im new and need HELP to plan my Rv travel !!
- 23 Has anyone used AirBnB to find lodging?
- 24 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 25 First time to Austin-San Antonio area