I'm looking for recs on how to best spend our wee amount of time in SD. We really are just driving through, en route from a cabin in Colorado with friends to a cabin in Minnesota with family. We're leaving the Estes Park area on a Sunday and should probably be in Minnesota on Wednesday afternoon. Though we like to hike, we're really looking for more tips on scenic drives (quickie strolls are okay) than get out and hike ideas.
My thinking was that we would drive up through eastern WY, then down through Spearfish to Rapid City and onto Custer, the Badlands, and the Native American Scenic Byway up to North Dakota. Would you go with this general (vague?) plan, or would you cut out the northern part of the Black Hills and head to Custer through far southwest SD?
Also, what are your thoughts on timing? If you were leaving Estes Park area noonish on a Sunday and wanted to be in Bismark Tuesday night, how would you break up the drive?
An added tidbit--I'm a freak for waterfalls. Oh, and we are probably okay on skipping Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse monuments.
I hope this isn't too vague! Thanks in advance for any tips.
Road trip through SD
- 1 San Franciso to Vancouver
- 2 ETHNIC RESTAURANTS IN DC W/ ETHNIC ENTERTAINMENT
- 3 time for a new countdown to Hawaii
- 4 Maine - July 5th to July 14
- 5 Pick up north of Boston Logan
- 6 Minneapolis Hotel
- 7 Place for lunch in Philly?
- 8 Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park opens today
- 9 Traveling the upper west coast into vancouver
- 10 South Tahoe around July 4 - GTG?
- 11 Driving from Seattle to San Fran
- 12 Which boat tour to take in New York with kids in June?
- 13 Washington Wineries
- 14 Luxor Egypt
- 15 MERIDIAN HILL PARK DRUM CIRCLE
- 16 Charleston, Savannah and more cheesy grits please
- 17 Road trip Sacramento to Denver, help requested
- 18 Seward to Anchorage
- 19 California, Northern
- 20 Buy now or wait . . . airfare to Santa Barbara in late July?
- 21 East coast tour - Part2: Phily, Washington, Niagara Falls
- 22 New York City Parking
- 23 JFK to Upper West Side by subway
- 24 Kodachrome Basin State Park in Utah
- 25 San Francisco,Monterey, Yosemite etc.!