I'm looking for recs on how to best spend our wee amount of time in SD. We really are just driving through, en route from a cabin in Colorado with friends to a cabin in Minnesota with family. We're leaving the Estes Park area on a Sunday and should probably be in Minnesota on Wednesday afternoon. Though we like to hike, we're really looking for more tips on scenic drives (quickie strolls are okay) than get out and hike ideas.
My thinking was that we would drive up through eastern WY, then down through Spearfish to Rapid City and onto Custer, the Badlands, and the Native American Scenic Byway up to North Dakota. Would you go with this general (vague?) plan, or would you cut out the northern part of the Black Hills and head to Custer through far southwest SD?
Also, what are your thoughts on timing? If you were leaving Estes Park area noonish on a Sunday and wanted to be in Bismark Tuesday night, how would you break up the drive?
An added tidbit--I'm a freak for waterfalls. Oh, and we are probably okay on skipping Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse monuments.
I hope this isn't too vague! Thanks in advance for any tips.
Road trip through SD
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Visiting Paso Robles wine country
- 2 Backpacking in April
- 3 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 4 replica designer handbags
- 5 Portland Maine Hotels
- 6 San Diego parks and attractions
- 7 Help choosing Chicago hotel
- 8 Chigo O'Hare layover
- 9 Lodging in Mendocino County (Anderson Valley, Booneville, ??)
- 10 Old City -- Philadelphia -- Cocktails?
- 11 Palm Springs-Looking for Great Swimming Pool
- 12 Need Ideas for Quiet Vacation in Upstate New York
- 13 united and carry-ons
- 14 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 15 Any feedback on our roadtrip schedule would be much appreciated!
- 16 Cape Cod in early April
- 17 USA with a 3 year old
- 18 Yellowstone & Grand Tetons Wildlife
- 19 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 20 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 21 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 22 Near Plum Island, MA ...what to see and do?
- 23 Black Canyon of the Gunnison East Portal Road
- 24 Spending February on the Florida Panhandle
- 25 Light hiking around Santa Barbara