I'm looking for recs on how to best spend our wee amount of time in SD. We really are just driving through, en route from a cabin in Colorado with friends to a cabin in Minnesota with family. We're leaving the Estes Park area on a Sunday and should probably be in Minnesota on Wednesday afternoon. Though we like to hike, we're really looking for more tips on scenic drives (quickie strolls are okay) than get out and hike ideas.
My thinking was that we would drive up through eastern WY, then down through Spearfish to Rapid City and onto Custer, the Badlands, and the Native American Scenic Byway up to North Dakota. Would you go with this general (vague?) plan, or would you cut out the northern part of the Black Hills and head to Custer through far southwest SD?
Also, what are your thoughts on timing? If you were leaving Estes Park area noonish on a Sunday and wanted to be in Bismark Tuesday night, how would you break up the drive?
An added tidbit--I'm a freak for waterfalls. Oh, and we are probably okay on skipping Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse monuments.
I hope this isn't too vague! Thanks in advance for any tips.
Road trip through SD
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 VRBO/Airbnb rental status in San Francisco
- 2 Downtown Denver restaurant recommendation, please~
- 3 Hardly Strictly Bluegrass
- 4 New York City Taking First Steps Against Air BnB Members
- 5 Boston/Fenway park
- 6 3 Days in Denver area- want to hike and bike, stay in Boulder or Denver?
- 7 Atlanta with kids
- 8 Which NYC subway should I take?
- 9 Any nice Family Camps near Lake Winnepesauki?
- 10 Where to stay with kids in Nashville
- 11 New York City Restaurants
- 12 Searching For The Rhythm Of Florida
- 13 Cabaret seating at Studio 54 - huh?
- 14 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 15 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 16 Alexandria or Georgetown
- 17 East Coast road trip from Boston to Washington DC
- 18 Spring Has Officially Sprung in Central Park
- 19 Family Camp in Maine
- 20 San Diego
- 21 Suggestions for road trip with children from Birmingham, AL to Grand Canyon
- 22 2 Days in Portland - Best of?
- 23 Timeshare Nightmares
- 24 Santa Fe advice needed (40th anniversary)
- 25 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles