Wonder if any of you kind people can help
Coming over from Scotland and I am planning a road trip around California etc lasting a few weeks during June / July 2013.
I will have with me my wife, my daugter , my son in lawand my granddaughter (aged 13 years) We have a wide range of interests which include but are not limited to – horse activities (the bigger the horse the better especially welcome Heavy horses) – wildlife watching such as whales , seals, deer , bison etc: motor sports especially monster trucks : water sports such as jetskis, paddle boarding etc; old historic areas relating to the ‘wild west era’; shopping ( both big malls and small designer areas) and touring around checking out the scenery and other interesting things.
Our rough route is :- Arrive in Los Angeles – drive via Barstow to Las Vegas then on via Death Valley Giant Sequoia area and Yosemite to Lake Tahoe, then onto San Francisco via Sacremento and Monterey. This is merely a rough idea and the only hotels we have booked are in Los Anegeles, Las Vegas and San Francisco , and even these are only booked for a maximum of 2 days per place, this means that we are totally flexible about where we go and where we stay
I have checked out the various official sites around these areas but there is no substitution for the thoughts of people who live there or have travelled these paths before. Any ideas along this route for things for us to do and/or see would be greatly appreciated. As I said the route is not set in tablets of stone so any side trips which are worth it would be considered. My hope is to give my family and in particular my granddaughter a vacation to remember as this may well be the last time we can all get away together.
Thanks in anticipation
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Between Naples and Fort Myers
- 2 Best restaurants?! - first time to NYC!
- 3 Restaurant Recs for Minneapolis
- 4 Planning Rim2Rim Hike at Grand Canyon
- 5 Moving from Fresno CA to highpoint NC
- 6 SW Colorado/San Juan Skyway ideas?
- 7 Two nights from Sacramento to Santa Barbara: where to spend the night?
- 8 JFK 10 hour layover-World Trade Center + ?
- 9 Steamboat in August
- 10 October 2016 Hawaii trip help please
- 11 MN lake home rental needed
- 12 Desert Southwest
- 13 Salt lake to boulder ideas
- 14 Whale watching in Bar Harbor Maine
- 15 Hawaii, January 2017.
- 16 Your favourite places in New York City
- 17 Grand Canyon From Phoenix
- 18 Napa valley getaway
- 19 Portland, Oregon, hotel: downtown or waterfront?
- 20 Help with road trip from Los Angeles to Utah
- 21 Lake Tahoe or ?
- 22 Need help with National Parks trip in 2017
- 23 OBX Corolla vs Nags Head as a Base for Sight Seeing?
- 24 Where to Spend Two Weeks in Florida in February
- 25 Extended weekend beach get away