I am new to Fodors forums and hoping you can help me get started with planning a road trip for my hubby and I in mid October for a week, after our Canadian Thanksgiving!
We love walking (not fond of tourist traps) and enjoying good food (mmm lobster or any type of seafood). We like touring wineries and my husband enjoys sampling local wine/beer. We also enjoy shopping in small towns (trying to stay away from malls) and relaxing by the water. If there's time to get in a golf game to enjoy the fall colours, we might be open to that too.
Other than that, this is our first long road trip and we wanted to enjoy a scenic drive together and be spontaneous.
Any advice on whether Oakville to Vermont, Maine and Boston is too ambitious to accomplish in 7 days?
I heard Portland is good for foodies (we love farm to table restos), not sure if too far to travel to Bar Harbour. Any ideas/suggested routes/day 1 to 7 rough itinerary for a leisurely trip?
Also any suggestions on contemporary hotels or cute bed and breakfasts would be helpful. Am guessing we need to book soon altho looking for flexibility in booking in case our driving plans change.
Finally, we are debating on whether to go through Montreal ... or an alternate drive crossing the border. Decisions, decisions, decisions ...
Thanks so much in advance to all who are open to sharing experiences and/or advice!!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Avalon/ Catalina Questions
- 2 Your guy's favorite things to do in Door County
- 3 Rental Car using the ferries in Washington
- 4 Fake reviews on Tripadvisor
- 5 Returned from Sedona
- 6 Mill Valley California Walks and Hikes
- 7 Contemplating moving from Chicago to Nashville
- 8 Easy to Moderate Hikes - Moab Area
- 9 Seattle to Oakland, CA in three days?
- 10 Magazine St. and Garden District favorites
- 11 Centra Coast Wildlife
- 12 Mid 20's Honeymoon
- 13 hawaii location for young couple needed
- 14 New York: "It's SOOOOOOOO Touristy"
- 15 Western U.S. Road trip
- 16 Looking For Specific Accommodation Recommendations
- 17 Martha's Vineyard area
- 18 Drive time from Lynwood to CenturyLink Field
- 19 Awesome Things to do in Door County in the Summer
- 20 A short stay in LA...Trip Report
- 21 Washington DC: your favorite part of your visit
- 22 Itinerary help for 3-night stay in DC?
- 23 Boston--Another Art Mission
- 24 Dining at CIA in Hyde Park
- 25 Vacation Destination for Large Family
Road trip from Oakville to Vermont, Maine, Boston - too much in 7 days?