My partner and I visted the USA for the first time last year, 4 week road trip in California and Nevada and loved it. Now planning to go back again in mid October this year for a road trip in the Deep South for between 4 and 5 weeks. Why the Deep South? Just somewhere different.
Initial plan is to fly in to Memphis then drive a very big loop (over 4,000km's) taking in Clarksdale, Vicksburg, New Orleans, head west along gulf coast, go south as far as Kennedy Space Center in Florida, then north through St Augustine, Savannah and Charleston. Then head back in land through Augusta, Atlanta, Chattanooga, Nashville and back to Memphis.
Coming from Australia the driving time is not of great concern. However, is this a manageable trip in 4 to 5 weeks without feeling we have rushed through everywhere? We aim to stay off the main highways where ever possible with multiple day stops at the major centres.
If you think we are trying to cover too much, any suggestions to a better route would be greatly appreciated.
Also as this is the first time we will have visited any of these places any recommendations on places to visit outside of the main attractions would be greatly appreciated.
My partner and I are both in our 40's and very active. Our tastes and interests are very broad; music, food, sport, history, nature, shopping. So does not really help with regards to suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Travel suggestions from Mystic, CT to Bar Harbor, Maine
- 2 Your favourite places in New York City
- 3 Where to stay in Munising, MI?
- 4 Trip Starting from New York
- 5 Portland, Crater Lake and coast to LA
- 6 Nilichik Ak.
- 7 Is Coney Island worth a trip if you don't like rides?
- 8 Best Brunswick Stew in Norfolk, Va
- 9 Grand Teton Questions
- 10 Gabfest in Fredericksburg VA
- 11 Bodega Bay with young kids
- 12 Grand American Road Trip!
- 13 What's the 14th Street area like?
- 14 Santa Cruz and down the coast.
- 15 Rules of the Subway
- 16 Grand Teton Questuons
- 17 Jazz and dinner -- Chicago
- 18 Thanksgiving Day in NYC
- 19 Visiting Seattle and Vancouver, BC in August, 2016
- 20 Los Angeles, California - Hiking
- 21 Mini Trip Report: Vegas in June-- HOT HOT HOT
- 22 San Francisco - Best place to see street art
- 23 Mystic CT
- 24 Alabama trip in Dec
- 25 Las vegas +21