My partner and I visted the USA for the first time last year, 4 week road trip in California and Nevada and loved it. Now planning to go back again in mid October this year for a road trip in the Deep South for between 4 and 5 weeks. Why the Deep South? Just somewhere different.
Initial plan is to fly in to Memphis then drive a very big loop (over 4,000km's) taking in Clarksdale, Vicksburg, New Orleans, head west along gulf coast, go south as far as Kennedy Space Center in Florida, then north through St Augustine, Savannah and Charleston. Then head back in land through Augusta, Atlanta, Chattanooga, Nashville and back to Memphis.
Coming from Australia the driving time is not of great concern. However, is this a manageable trip in 4 to 5 weeks without feeling we have rushed through everywhere? We aim to stay off the main highways where ever possible with multiple day stops at the major centres.
If you think we are trying to cover too much, any suggestions to a better route would be greatly appreciated.
Also as this is the first time we will have visited any of these places any recommendations on places to visit outside of the main attractions would be greatly appreciated.
My partner and I are both in our 40's and very active. Our tastes and interests are very broad; music, food, sport, history, nature, shopping. So does not really help with regards to suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Parka in PA during February?
- 2 CEO Dollar Rental Car
- 3 Ideas for New York
- 4 Cross country tips
- 5 Back from the Big Easy
- 6 Three relaxing weeks in Palm Springs
- 7 Best May/Jun Yosemite lodging areas: Yosemite West, El Portal, or Wawona?
- 8 Last minute Keys Trip Advice Please
- 9 Clear Roads From Seattle to Omaha 12-9-16?
- 10 Best Kids' Skiing <3 hours from Chicago?
- 11 Disappointed with Budget Car Rental Las Vegas
- 12 EWR to Midtown Manhattan
- 13 Driving from San Diego CA to Great lakes IL in FEB
- 14 17' uhaul from seattle wa to San Antonio Texas
- 15 DIA to Estes Park in mid-Feb. 4x4?
- 16 IAH to HOU Questions
- 17 Traveling into the US with Alcohol
- 18 "Unique" New York City Experiences-Yours
- 19 Jazzfest side trips
- 20 Sedona v Scottsdale?
- 21 March in New Mexico
- 22 No Spam this morning!!
- 23 San Francisco transit options
- 24 yosemite -grand canyon- bryce and zion
- 25 Lodging outside of Yellowstone