My partner and I visted the USA for the first time last year, 4 week road trip in California and Nevada and loved it. Now planning to go back again in mid October this year for a road trip in the Deep South for between 4 and 5 weeks. Why the Deep South? Just somewhere different.
Initial plan is to fly in to Memphis then drive a very big loop (over 4,000km's) taking in Clarksdale, Vicksburg, New Orleans, head west along gulf coast, go south as far as Kennedy Space Center in Florida, then north through St Augustine, Savannah and Charleston. Then head back in land through Augusta, Atlanta, Chattanooga, Nashville and back to Memphis.
Coming from Australia the driving time is not of great concern. However, is this a manageable trip in 4 to 5 weeks without feeling we have rushed through everywhere? We aim to stay off the main highways where ever possible with multiple day stops at the major centres.
If you think we are trying to cover too much, any suggestions to a better route would be greatly appreciated.
Also as this is the first time we will have visited any of these places any recommendations on places to visit outside of the main attractions would be greatly appreciated.
My partner and I are both in our 40's and very active. Our tastes and interests are very broad; music, food, sport, history, nature, shopping. So does not really help with regards to suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hawaii - What 2 Islands? Maui, HI or Honolulu
- 2 Need help with National Parks trip in 2017
- 3 Cape cod, Vermont and Newyork
- 4 Need help with National Parks trip in 2017
- 5 Rhode Island Beach Vacation?
- 6 October 2016 Hawaii trip help please
- 7 Go NY Tour bus accident - 15 hurt
- 8 Los Angeles Indefinitely
- 9 3 week road trip South Carolina and Georgia
- 10 Oregon road trip
- 11 Southampton to JFK drive time and car service
- 12 US Open Tennis
- 13 Girl's trip to San Francisco
- 14 Help with first road trip - southeast us in January?
- 15 Dad & 15 year old daughter in NYC
- 16 Florida itinerary- your thought please
- 17 Monterey peninsula traffic Labor Day weekend.
- 18 conflicting restaurant reports
- 19 Itinerary Help Bryce and Zion
- 20 South Seattle to Sacrememto via San Fran! Help!
- 21 MOAB NP
- 22 DC for 3 hours
- 23 Visiting Miami
- 24 Trip help needed: Highway 1, Mendocino, Redwoods in October.
- 25 Calming Stay near Seattle/Vacouver??