My partner and I visted the USA for the first time last year, 4 week road trip in California and Nevada and loved it. Now planning to go back again in mid October this year for a road trip in the Deep South for between 4 and 5 weeks. Why the Deep South? Just somewhere different.
Initial plan is to fly in to Memphis then drive a very big loop (over 4,000km's) taking in Clarksdale, Vicksburg, New Orleans, head west along gulf coast, go south as far as Kennedy Space Center in Florida, then north through St Augustine, Savannah and Charleston. Then head back in land through Augusta, Atlanta, Chattanooga, Nashville and back to Memphis.
Coming from Australia the driving time is not of great concern. However, is this a manageable trip in 4 to 5 weeks without feeling we have rushed through everywhere? We aim to stay off the main highways where ever possible with multiple day stops at the major centres.
If you think we are trying to cover too much, any suggestions to a better route would be greatly appreciated.
Also as this is the first time we will have visited any of these places any recommendations on places to visit outside of the main attractions would be greatly appreciated.
My partner and I are both in our 40's and very active. Our tastes and interests are very broad; music, food, sport, history, nature, shopping. So does not really help with regards to suggestions.
Road Trip Deep South in October/November
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Sacramento to State College, PA in late November
- 2 Where to from Tampa?
- 3 Angels Crest and Rim of the World Scenic Drives: Mid-November 2014
- 4 Drive Dallas To New Orleans - Best Food Stops!!
- 5 Need ideas - hGirls' trip to Chicago
- 6 What do you think about Asian tourist manner?
- 7 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 8 Chicago O'Hare to Downtown
- 9 Three nights in Chicago -- a report
- 10 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas II
- 11 USA and Canada in 2 months
- 12 Skiing New Mexico
- 13 Trip Report to Pacific Northwest: August 2014
- 14 Hotel in Newton outside Boston - need transportation and related advice
- 15 I am turning 60 and boy do I need help with my trip!
- 16 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 17 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 18 Thinking about moving from PA to Florida (Dr. Phillips area of Orlando)
- 19 Saturday arrival Seattle airport to Lake Crescent
- 20 Grand Canyon , Zion and Bryce Itinerary suggestions
- 21 Drive from Grand Canyon to Prescott next week
- 22 Houston Weekend Planning Help Needed, please
- 23 Special Occasion/Fancy Dress shops in South Florida
- 24 Looking for a travel loop in Arizona (Las Vegas to Tucson & back)
- 25 Is the New York subway safe?