My partner and I visted the USA for the first time last year, 4 week road trip in California and Nevada and loved it. Now planning to go back again in mid October this year for a road trip in the Deep South for between 4 and 5 weeks. Why the Deep South? Just somewhere different.
Initial plan is to fly in to Memphis then drive a very big loop (over 4,000km's) taking in Clarksdale, Vicksburg, New Orleans, head west along gulf coast, go south as far as Kennedy Space Center in Florida, then north through St Augustine, Savannah and Charleston. Then head back in land through Augusta, Atlanta, Chattanooga, Nashville and back to Memphis.
Coming from Australia the driving time is not of great concern. However, is this a manageable trip in 4 to 5 weeks without feeling we have rushed through everywhere? We aim to stay off the main highways where ever possible with multiple day stops at the major centres.
If you think we are trying to cover too much, any suggestions to a better route would be greatly appreciated.
Also as this is the first time we will have visited any of these places any recommendations on places to visit outside of the main attractions would be greatly appreciated.
My partner and I are both in our 40's and very active. Our tastes and interests are very broad; music, food, sport, history, nature, shopping. So does not really help with regards to suggestions.
Road Trip Deep South in October/November
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Flying from LA to Massachusetts
- 2 Please help identify location in Southern California
- 3 August 2015 Western Roadtrip Route? 30 days...Two 22-year-old Girls
- 4 62 Hikers airlifted out of Kalalau Trail
- 5 Need help planning weekend trips: Georgia, Chicago, Tennessee, Alaska?!
- 6 3 weeks in USA in February -- final post before booking hotels
- 7 Grand Teton Romantic Accomdations
- 8 advice on possible employment in GA or NC rural areas
- 9 WHY are rental cars in December in Florida so expensive?
- 10 New York City and New England
- 11 The East Coast adventure: December 2014
- 12 NYT article on exploring Los Angeles without a car
- 13 Zion, Bryce, Page, GC South Rim, and Arches
- 14 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 15 San Francisco with 7 kids ages 5-14
- 16 Utah-Arizona National Parks intinary help needed
- 17 Last Minute NYE Trip to DC - Fancy Tea? Other special ideas...Wanted
- 18 After Chigago ? side trips- suggestions
- 19 Quick Austin weekend itinerary review
- 20 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 21 Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Banff in May or early Sept.?
- 22 Best Destination in USA
- 23 Rules of the Sidewalk
- 24 Road trip March from Atlanta
- 25 Nashville - Weekend Trip