My partner and I visted the USA for the first time last year, 4 week road trip in California and Nevada and loved it. Now planning to go back again in mid October this year for a road trip in the Deep South for between 4 and 5 weeks. Why the Deep South? Just somewhere different.
Initial plan is to fly in to Memphis then drive a very big loop (over 4,000km's) taking in Clarksdale, Vicksburg, New Orleans, head west along gulf coast, go south as far as Kennedy Space Center in Florida, then north through St Augustine, Savannah and Charleston. Then head back in land through Augusta, Atlanta, Chattanooga, Nashville and back to Memphis.
Coming from Australia the driving time is not of great concern. However, is this a manageable trip in 4 to 5 weeks without feeling we have rushed through everywhere? We aim to stay off the main highways where ever possible with multiple day stops at the major centres.
If you think we are trying to cover too much, any suggestions to a better route would be greatly appreciated.
Also as this is the first time we will have visited any of these places any recommendations on places to visit outside of the main attractions would be greatly appreciated.
My partner and I are both in our 40's and very active. Our tastes and interests are very broad; music, food, sport, history, nature, shopping. So does not really help with regards to suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Maui - best hotels/condos with good snorkeling right at the hotel
- 2 Develop Muscle
- 3 Waikoloa restaurants?
- 4 Auto train tips?
- 5 Nashville 2016
- 6 Hotels Houston
- 7 Recent reports on Kapoho & Wai'Ope snorkeling or water conditions?
- 8 I40 East in November
- 9 4 days in Colorado in December with kids
- 10 Best MGM owned hotel on the Las Vegas Strip?
- 11 My CA itinerary
- 12 New England Fall trip- road trip
- 13 Dallas or Atlanta in January??
- 14 Asbury Park, NJ area help
- 15 Big Island Itinerary Feedback
- 16 Agriturisimos in Napa, Sonoma?
- 17 Newark Airport Hotel for a day
- 18 Washington State Anniversary Weekend Getaway
- 19 Grand Canyon to LA
- 20 Good areas for families in Tampa, FL
- 21 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 22 Two days and no car in San francisco
- 23 Need help planning Arizona & California Desert trip in March
- 24 Overnight parking in San Francisco
- 25 Birmingham, Alabama in December