My partner and I visted the USA for the first time last year, 4 week road trip in California and Nevada and loved it. Now planning to go back again in mid October this year for a road trip in the Deep South for between 4 and 5 weeks. Why the Deep South? Just somewhere different.
Initial plan is to fly in to Memphis then drive a very big loop (over 4,000km's) taking in Clarksdale, Vicksburg, New Orleans, head west along gulf coast, go south as far as Kennedy Space Center in Florida, then north through St Augustine, Savannah and Charleston. Then head back in land through Augusta, Atlanta, Chattanooga, Nashville and back to Memphis.
Coming from Australia the driving time is not of great concern. However, is this a manageable trip in 4 to 5 weeks without feeling we have rushed through everywhere? We aim to stay off the main highways where ever possible with multiple day stops at the major centres.
If you think we are trying to cover too much, any suggestions to a better route would be greatly appreciated.
Also as this is the first time we will have visited any of these places any recommendations on places to visit outside of the main attractions would be greatly appreciated.
My partner and I are both in our 40's and very active. Our tastes and interests are very broad; music, food, sport, history, nature, shopping. So does not really help with regards to suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 LOVELY US:: Yahoo EMAIL Tec*h Support CONTACT---> 1-800-381-2506 Yahoo 24*7
- 2 11 day PNW coast-Olympic-Portland-Glacier
- 3 We want too see Statue of liberty. Flying into EWR and out of Jfk
- 4 road trip from NC to Maine in Sept.
- 5 Living in Tampa /West Palm
- 6 Amtrak California Zephyr and Yosemite waterfalls
- 7 ALASKA TWO WEEK TRIP Cruise/Land
- 8 Asheville to Atlanta 5 nights in between...need advice for the coast
- 9 Portland,Oregon- hotels and good food
- 10 In search of cool beach town in the Carolinas
- 11 10 Day Road Trip in Colorado
- 12 Food Festival Tour
- 13 California Coast Highway 1 from SF to LA Closed?
- 14 Seattle weather: not a troll
- 15 seattle apartment
- 16 Boston area hotels
- 17 Universal Studios vacation
- 18 Help! 2nd half of trip...From GTNP, 11 days before flying out of Denver.
- 19 Photos from Glacier National Park October 2016
- 20 Boston architecture, decorative arts, & food
- 21 Rules of the NY Subway
- 22 Epic Journey East coast and back
- 23 A pleasant day on the road in Oregon?
- 24 Mt Rushmore/Grand Tetons/JacksonHole/Yellowstone Adventure
- 25 Confused about Yellowstone trip