My partner and I visted the USA for the first time last year, 4 week road trip in California and Nevada and loved it. Now planning to go back again in mid October this year for a road trip in the Deep South for between 4 and 5 weeks. Why the Deep South? Just somewhere different.
Initial plan is to fly in to Memphis then drive a very big loop (over 4,000km's) taking in Clarksdale, Vicksburg, New Orleans, head west along gulf coast, go south as far as Kennedy Space Center in Florida, then north through St Augustine, Savannah and Charleston. Then head back in land through Augusta, Atlanta, Chattanooga, Nashville and back to Memphis.
Coming from Australia the driving time is not of great concern. However, is this a manageable trip in 4 to 5 weeks without feeling we have rushed through everywhere? We aim to stay off the main highways where ever possible with multiple day stops at the major centres.
If you think we are trying to cover too much, any suggestions to a better route would be greatly appreciated.
Also as this is the first time we will have visited any of these places any recommendations on places to visit outside of the main attractions would be greatly appreciated.
My partner and I are both in our 40's and very active. Our tastes and interests are very broad; music, food, sport, history, nature, shopping. So does not really help with regards to suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Trip to Palm Springs and San Diego
- 2 Sacramento Hotel
- 3 I continue to be stumped by amtrak...advice?
- 4 USA family tour
- 5 Feinsteins 54 Below
- 6 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 7 Favorite restaurants in Savannah
- 8 Philly Itinerary Help
- 9 4 days road trip southern New England
- 10 How to spend a few days in mid June near Oakland
- 11 Boston Restaurant suggestion
- 12 Road Trip Florida to Maine
- 13 Los Angeles Area Restaurants - 2017 Edition
- 14 California Coast Road Trip Itinerary Help
- 15 Overnight between Moab and Grand Canyon village
- 16 Driving Hwy 12 from Missoula Mr ro Walla Walla WA
- 17 Little Bighorn, beartooth, Yellowstone, Tetons, Jackson hole, Cody
- 18 Quick trip to Poughkeepsie area
- 19 Road Trip-San Francisco and Los Angeles
- 20 Hawaiian Honeymoon - Hotel Advice
- 21 Sky Harbor to Tucson shuttle
- 22 Los Angeles area wildflower viewing?
- 23 Broadway Review - Show & Dinner
- 24 Here Are Our Interests, Now What Would You Add to Seattle?
- 25 Costco Travel