My partner and I visted the USA for the first time last year, 4 week road trip in California and Nevada and loved it. Now planning to go back again in mid October this year for a road trip in the Deep South for between 4 and 5 weeks. Why the Deep South? Just somewhere different.
Initial plan is to fly in to Memphis then drive a very big loop (over 4,000km's) taking in Clarksdale, Vicksburg, New Orleans, head west along gulf coast, go south as far as Kennedy Space Center in Florida, then north through St Augustine, Savannah and Charleston. Then head back in land through Augusta, Atlanta, Chattanooga, Nashville and back to Memphis.
Coming from Australia the driving time is not of great concern. However, is this a manageable trip in 4 to 5 weeks without feeling we have rushed through everywhere? We aim to stay off the main highways where ever possible with multiple day stops at the major centres.
If you think we are trying to cover too much, any suggestions to a better route would be greatly appreciated.
Also as this is the first time we will have visited any of these places any recommendations on places to visit outside of the main attractions would be greatly appreciated.
My partner and I are both in our 40's and very active. Our tastes and interests are very broad; music, food, sport, history, nature, shopping. So does not really help with regards to suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Diego/La Jolla?
- 2 Walking Safety Near Boston Common
- 3 Hawaii - June vs Aug, hotel vs rental
- 4 Revisiting Kauai: Heartbreak and Happiness
- 5 California Trip
- 6 Northeast/Mid-Atlantics States History/Beach Vacation
- 7 Need help nailing down the details
- 8 Metropolitan Opera - good seats?
- 9 Florida Beaches Compared To Caribbean
- 10 Proposed Los Angeles itinerary, almost exclusively without a car
- 11 Turo?
- 12 Seattle or Portland or Vancouver?
- 13 Recommendations for Hikes in Glacier National Park
- 14 SW Colorado-help with details please
- 15 Tohono Chul Tucson?
- 16 NYC For The Day
- 17 Alaska cruise excursions?
- 18 Senior citizens traveling as groupl
- 19 Breckenridge, Estes Park, and Fort Collins in May
- 20 NEW ORLEANS AND CAJUN COUNTRY...A WEEK-LONG FOOD QUEST
- 21 Tour of the Grand Circle USA .HELP!
- 22 Cross Country Road Trip VA - San Francisco
- 23 Laguna Beach Hotel
- 24 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 25 US whole month of January where to