My partner and I visted the USA for the first time last year, 4 week road trip in California and Nevada and loved it. Now planning to go back again in mid October this year for a road trip in the Deep South for between 4 and 5 weeks. Why the Deep South? Just somewhere different.
Initial plan is to fly in to Memphis then drive a very big loop (over 4,000km's) taking in Clarksdale, Vicksburg, New Orleans, head west along gulf coast, go south as far as Kennedy Space Center in Florida, then north through St Augustine, Savannah and Charleston. Then head back in land through Augusta, Atlanta, Chattanooga, Nashville and back to Memphis.
Coming from Australia the driving time is not of great concern. However, is this a manageable trip in 4 to 5 weeks without feeling we have rushed through everywhere? We aim to stay off the main highways where ever possible with multiple day stops at the major centres.
If you think we are trying to cover too much, any suggestions to a better route would be greatly appreciated.
Also as this is the first time we will have visited any of these places any recommendations on places to visit outside of the main attractions would be greatly appreciated.
My partner and I are both in our 40's and very active. Our tastes and interests are very broad; music, food, sport, history, nature, shopping. So does not really help with regards to suggestions.
Road Trip Deep South in October/November
- 1 Broadway Banter: The Fall, 2013 edition
- 2 Heard Les Miz is Returning - Production Any Good
- 3 Apartment For Rent in Philadelphia
- 4 US West Coast - Car or Camper
- 5 Warm and don't Drive
- 6 Philadelphia or Chicago
- 7 Paul Rabe - A West Chester Question
- 8 DETROIT'S BEAUTIFUL SIDE
- 9 Ohare Clearing Customs from VIE Sat May 24 @ 1:30pm for 3:10pm flight
- 10 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 11 Taking a Road trip Memphis through to Smokey Mtns.
- 12 NOLA 10th Anniv. Suggestions?
- 13 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 14 Savanah Sojourn
- 15 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 16 What is the United Lounge like at LAX?
- 17 Our first trip to the USA: What a holiday it has been!
- 18 Easter Holiday on Kauai with 10 year old daughter
- 19 Old Fall River Road closed in Rocky Mountain National Park through 2014
- 20 Inexpensive Weekend Getaway- New England
- 21 PRIDE OF AMERICA
- 22 Family holiday to Hawaii - which islands?
- 23 Viginia Jan 18-21st
- 24 Help Requested for Winter Cross-Country Driving Move
- 25 Orlando to Salt Lake City route, end of January