In 2 weeks I'll be going on a 3 week trip thru the NW US (and SW Canada).
I'm pretty fine with the first leg from my starting point, Calgary, to Butte, MT (incl. Glacier/Waterton NP)
But still a bit unsure which route to take from Montana to Washington.
Going west from Montana, I could stick closer to the border and follow I-90 (not necessarily driving I-90 all the way) to Spokane. Then veer off to the North to go thru North Cascades NP on Rte. 20 (via Winthrop, WA) to Seattle.
An alternative routing would take me further South from Butte via Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon NM, Boise, (Portland OR optional), Mt. Rainier, to Seattle. I think I could also visit some sites along the Oregon Trail if I chose these routing.
Time budget will be relatively flexible for either route. I think 3 nights on the road would be a minimum, 5-6 nights probably the maximum.
Have a nice drive with some scenic or interesting intervals.
A few spots on the way to explore some history. Anything that could be tagged from "Old West", ghost towns to 1950s/60s Americana sure would interest me. Even if it's not some grand-scale tourist attraction.
Do some short hikes/trails (1-2 hrs).
Nature/ national parks are also very welcome, though I am very happy with the not-so-famous ones.
Any ideas which route would be "best" or what sights or options I am still missing.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Road Trip: Butte, MT to Seattle, WA.. which route to take?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Morning in miami
- 2 National Park itinerary- Utah, Wyoming
- 3 Driving - Philadelphia to San Francisco
- 4 Looking for Classic/ vintage cars points of interest
- 5 Seattle to LA (or not).
- 6 trip outside of San Francisco with kids
- 7 Setting Up Business with Airbnb?
- 8 Do foreign visitors need special car insurance?
- 9 Kauai our way! A Feb 2015 Trip Report
- 10 Central US goecaching trip via Amtrak
- 11 Restaurant Recommendations in Tucson
- 12 Hotel Recommendations For Rapid City, SD?
- 13 What To See & Do in Rapid City
- 14 What To See and Do in the Grand Rapids Area
- 15 which St. Louis neighborhood to base in, given these destinations?
- 16 Dublin International Customs / Connections
- 17 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour
- 18 adams morgan - safety
- 19 Unique & off the beaten path accomodations for Nature Lovers
- 20 Favorite Casual D.C. Restaurants?
- 21 How much to tip for Free tour on Foot
- 22 New England Road Trip- RI, MA, NH, ME
- 23 Yet Another Yellowstone/Glacier/Grand Teton Trip Request For Help
- 24 Grand Marais?
- 25 US Southwest