In 2 weeks I'll be going on a 3 week trip thru the NW US (and SW Canada).
I'm pretty fine with the first leg from my starting point, Calgary, to Butte, MT (incl. Glacier/Waterton NP)
But still a bit unsure which route to take from Montana to Washington.
Going west from Montana, I could stick closer to the border and follow I-90 (not necessarily driving I-90 all the way) to Spokane. Then veer off to the North to go thru North Cascades NP on Rte. 20 (via Winthrop, WA) to Seattle.
An alternative routing would take me further South from Butte via Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon NM, Boise, (Portland OR optional), Mt. Rainier, to Seattle. I think I could also visit some sites along the Oregon Trail if I chose these routing.
Time budget will be relatively flexible for either route. I think 3 nights on the road would be a minimum, 5-6 nights probably the maximum.
Have a nice drive with some scenic or interesting intervals.
A few spots on the way to explore some history. Anything that could be tagged from "Old West", ghost towns to 1950s/60s Americana sure would interest me. Even if it's not some grand-scale tourist attraction.
Do some short hikes/trails (1-2 hrs).
Nature/ national parks are also very welcome, though I am very happy with the not-so-famous ones.
Any ideas which route would be "best" or what sights or options I am still missing.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Today it rained…on the road in the PNW
- 2 Suggestions for Philadelphia
- 3 Lounge Talk
- 4 HELP! Solo road trip - the Deep south - Hints & Tips needed!
- 5 Looking for a Bed and breakfast
- 6 Guys Ski Trip in Breckenridge
- 7 Broadway Banter? Fall 2016 - calling HowardR
- 8 which airport when going to Stamford,CT?
- 9 The Williamsburg Wedding
- 10 Mass Pike Electronic Tolling starts 10/28
- 11 Yellowstone/Grand Tetons (Oct 2016)
- 12 Polynesian Cultural Centre
- 13 OHare car service north suburbs
- 14 Yellowstone
- 15 Itinerary suggestion for southern Utah and Arizona
- 16 Reasonable accommodations in Wyoming
- 17 Ah, The California Wine Country!
- 18 DCArea GTG April 2017
- 19 California relaxing vacation ideas
- 20 Wine Bars in Hollywood / Fort Lauderdale
- 21 Page, AZ area
- 22 Moving to a new state looking for advice
- 23 saint john the divine concert for peace tickets
- 24 Traveling Alone
- 25 Northern California Redwoods
Road Trip: Butte, MT to Seattle, WA.. which route to take?