In 2 weeks I'll be going on a 3 week trip thru the NW US (and SW Canada).
I'm pretty fine with the first leg from my starting point, Calgary, to Butte, MT (incl. Glacier/Waterton NP)
But still a bit unsure which route to take from Montana to Washington.
Going west from Montana, I could stick closer to the border and follow I-90 (not necessarily driving I-90 all the way) to Spokane. Then veer off to the North to go thru North Cascades NP on Rte. 20 (via Winthrop, WA) to Seattle.
An alternative routing would take me further South from Butte via Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon NM, Boise, (Portland OR optional), Mt. Rainier, to Seattle. I think I could also visit some sites along the Oregon Trail if I chose these routing.
Time budget will be relatively flexible for either route. I think 3 nights on the road would be a minimum, 5-6 nights probably the maximum.
Have a nice drive with some scenic or interesting intervals.
A few spots on the way to explore some history. Anything that could be tagged from "Old West", ghost towns to 1950s/60s Americana sure would interest me. Even if it's not some grand-scale tourist attraction.
Do some short hikes/trails (1-2 hrs).
Nature/ national parks are also very welcome, though I am very happy with the not-so-famous ones.
Any ideas which route would be "best" or what sights or options I am still missing.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 PATRON CONTACT 1:800:681:7208 EPSON PRINTER TENCHNICAL SETUP/setting
- 2 Confused about Yellowstone trip
- 3 Advice: Te^ch SUPP0RT AOL CONTACT 1:855:999:8045 AOL MAIL
- 4 California Coast Highway 1 from SF to LA Closed?
- 5 Advice: Te^ch SUPP0RT YAHOO CONTACT 1:8oo:570:1233 yahoo MAIL
- 6 Advice: Te^ch SUPP0RT YAHOO CONTACT 1:8oo:570:1233 yahoo MAIL
- 7 Advice: Te^ch SUPP0RT YAHOO CONTACT 1:8oo:570:1233 yahoo MAIL
- 8 Advice: Te^ch SUPP0RT YAHOO CONTACT 1:8oo:570:1233 yahoo MAIL
- 9 Rules of the NY Subway
- 10 Road Trip Bucks County PA to In the Dells Wisconsin
- 11 Middle aged and overweight - can I hike
- 12 Dividing time in Glacier
- 13 Photos from Glacier National Park October 2016
- 14 US/CANADA: Tec*h SUPP0RT YAHOO CONTACT 1:855:999:8045 YAHOO MAIL
- 15 Modify US/CANADA: Tec*h SUPP0RT YAHOO CONTACT 1:855:999:8045 YAHOO MAIL
- 16 11 Day Road Trip/Backpacking Trip to Utah's NPs, Looking for Suggestions.
- 17 Help! 2nd half of trip...From GTNP, 11 days before flying out of Denver.
- 18 Amtrak California Zephyr and Yosemite waterfalls
- 19 Bahubal +18 55 999 8045 %# @ Yahoo Mail Technical SuPPoRt nUmBeR
- 20 Half GB +18 55 999,8045 @ Yahoo Pasword Recovery Customer Help
- 21 My travels to Monument Valley
- 22 More lodging in Oregon for eclipse
- 23 Miami for 2 days
- 24 Universal Studios vacation
- 25 We want too see Statue of liberty. Flying into EWR and out of Jfk
Road Trip: Butte, MT to Seattle, WA.. which route to take?