In 2 weeks I'll be going on a 3 week trip thru the NW US (and SW Canada).
I'm pretty fine with the first leg from my starting point, Calgary, to Butte, MT (incl. Glacier/Waterton NP)
But still a bit unsure which route to take from Montana to Washington.
Going west from Montana, I could stick closer to the border and follow I-90 (not necessarily driving I-90 all the way) to Spokane. Then veer off to the North to go thru North Cascades NP on Rte. 20 (via Winthrop, WA) to Seattle.
An alternative routing would take me further South from Butte via Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon NM, Boise, (Portland OR optional), Mt. Rainier, to Seattle. I think I could also visit some sites along the Oregon Trail if I chose these routing.
Time budget will be relatively flexible for either route. I think 3 nights on the road would be a minimum, 5-6 nights probably the maximum.
Have a nice drive with some scenic or interesting intervals.
A few spots on the way to explore some history. Anything that could be tagged from "Old West", ghost towns to 1950s/60s Americana sure would interest me. Even if it's not some grand-scale tourist attraction.
Do some short hikes/trails (1-2 hrs).
Nature/ national parks are also very welcome, though I am very happy with the not-so-famous ones.
Any ideas which route would be "best" or what sights or options I am still missing.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 3 week road trip South Carolina and Georgia
- 2 Last minute trip to Boston w/ kids and car
- 3 Glacier National Park in September
- 4 World's Longest Yard Sale - don't go!
- 5 Rocky Mountaineer added to Cruise
- 6 San Francisco through Colorado Rockies
- 7 trip to Charlettesville VA
- 8 Suggestion on agenda for SF to Seattle
- 9 Recommendation: Beachfront in VA or MD walking distance to quaint downtown
- 10 New Software
- 11 How many days for Martha's Vineyard? And Cape Cod in general
- 12 Yellowstone and Tetons in July 2016
- 13 Attending a wedding on Nantucket !
- 14 Road trip: Boston to Salt Lake City
- 15 Los Angeles Indefinitely
- 16 Rough (very) initial USA itinerary
- 17 Helpp JKF to lyndhurst NJ
- 18 Want to relocate out of Houston and maybe Texas. To NC or TN
- 19 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 20 Visiting Oregon - Portland to Crater Lake
- 21 Thinking of moving FROM Pittsburgh TO Seattle
- 22 Aussie family heading to the US for the first time
- 23 Lake Tahoe hotel with a lake view
- 24 September trip Portland/Seattle
- 25 Help Planning Zion/Bryce Itinerary
Road Trip: Butte, MT to Seattle, WA.. which route to take?