In 2 weeks I'll be going on a 3 week trip thru the NW US (and SW Canada).
I'm pretty fine with the first leg from my starting point, Calgary, to Butte, MT (incl. Glacier/Waterton NP)
But still a bit unsure which route to take from Montana to Washington.
Going west from Montana, I could stick closer to the border and follow I-90 (not necessarily driving I-90 all the way) to Spokane. Then veer off to the North to go thru North Cascades NP on Rte. 20 (via Winthrop, WA) to Seattle.
An alternative routing would take me further South from Butte via Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon NM, Boise, (Portland OR optional), Mt. Rainier, to Seattle. I think I could also visit some sites along the Oregon Trail if I chose these routing.
Time budget will be relatively flexible for either route. I think 3 nights on the road would be a minimum, 5-6 nights probably the maximum.
Have a nice drive with some scenic or interesting intervals.
A few spots on the way to explore some history. Anything that could be tagged from "Old West", ghost towns to 1950s/60s Americana sure would interest me. Even if it's not some grand-scale tourist attraction.
Do some short hikes/trails (1-2 hrs).
Nature/ national parks are also very welcome, though I am very happy with the not-so-famous ones.
Any ideas which route would be "best" or what sights or options I am still missing.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Family Vacation to Hawaii - Kauai and Maui or Oahu
- 2 Best Vegas hotel with 12 & 15 year olds
- 3 San Francisco, Yosemite, Carmel
- 4 Dining & Things to Do - North Bennington
- 5 Roadtrippin on Route 66
- 6 Driving from San Fran to Seattle
- 7 Key West Hidden Gem Hotels?
- 8 2-day romantic couple getaway in CO mountains?
- 9 Child safe Hawaii beaches in late October
- 10 San Diego/La Jolla?
- 11 Oahu condo-Ilikai
- 12 transportation from JFK to Newark airport 1 way
- 13 road trip
- 14 Thoughts on these 3 spots for Estes Park lodging?
- 15 Sept trip: San Diego, Disneyland and...?
- 16 Day hikes in Yosemite for family of 4 (2 teens)
- 17 Florida in October
- 18 Where to stay - Yosemite, Sequoia, Zion - late July
- 19 Yosemite traffic worth it for 2-3 days?
- 20 Hilton Waikoloa Village - Yay or Nay?
- 21 FLL to Key West
- 22 Driving south from Washington DC, but where??
- 23 Bringing gift box abroad as carry on?
- 24 Road Trip to ND, SD, Nebraska, and Iowas
- 25 7-DAY SOJOURN IN SO. CAL
Road Trip: Butte, MT to Seattle, WA.. which route to take?