In 2 weeks I'll be going on a 3 week trip thru the NW US (and SW Canada).
I'm pretty fine with the first leg from my starting point, Calgary, to Butte, MT (incl. Glacier/Waterton NP)
But still a bit unsure which route to take from Montana to Washington.
Going west from Montana, I could stick closer to the border and follow I-90 (not necessarily driving I-90 all the way) to Spokane. Then veer off to the North to go thru North Cascades NP on Rte. 20 (via Winthrop, WA) to Seattle.
An alternative routing would take me further South from Butte via Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon NM, Boise, (Portland OR optional), Mt. Rainier, to Seattle. I think I could also visit some sites along the Oregon Trail if I chose these routing.
Time budget will be relatively flexible for either route. I think 3 nights on the road would be a minimum, 5-6 nights probably the maximum.
Have a nice drive with some scenic or interesting intervals.
A few spots on the way to explore some history. Anything that could be tagged from "Old West", ghost towns to 1950s/60s Americana sure would interest me. Even if it's not some grand-scale tourist attraction.
Do some short hikes/trails (1-2 hrs).
Nature/ national parks are also very welcome, though I am very happy with the not-so-famous ones.
Any ideas which route would be "best" or what sights or options I am still missing.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Road Trip: Butte, MT to Seattle, WA.. which route to take?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Special Occasion/Fancy Dress shops in South Florida
- 2 Grand Canyon , Zion and Bryce Itinerary suggestions
- 3 Three nights in Chicago -- a report
- 4 USA and Canada in 2 months
- 5 kuai and maui top 10 to see list
- 6 Girls Weekend Trip to Sarasota/Tampa Florida Area
- 7 DC in Dec-Restaurant ideas near Hilton Mark Alexandria
- 8 I am turning 60 and boy do I need help with my trip!
- 9 Richmond to Oklahoma City Slowly: what not to miss?
- 10 Take the T or cab from Logan
- 11 Elephant Man Preview on Broadway with Bradley Cooper
- 12 One less trip on the Bucket List - Visit to New York City
- 13 Chicago Questions
- 14 Hotel in Newton outside Boston - need transportation and related advice
- 15 Hotel near the Miami airport
- 16 Best way to see South & Central Florida in a week.
- 17 Recommendations for things to do near San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina
- 18 Accommodations in Floriday keys
- 19 Is the New York subway safe?
- 20 Chicago eateries downtown
- 21 Lake Rabun Hotel
- 22 Where to from Tampa?
- 23 Tell me about Santa Catalina Island
- 24 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas II
- 25 Looking for a travel loop in Arizona (Las Vegas to Tucson & back)