In 2 weeks I'll be going on a 3 week trip thru the NW US (and SW Canada).
I'm pretty fine with the first leg from my starting point, Calgary, to Butte, MT (incl. Glacier/Waterton NP)
But still a bit unsure which route to take from Montana to Washington.
Going west from Montana, I could stick closer to the border and follow I-90 (not necessarily driving I-90 all the way) to Spokane. Then veer off to the North to go thru North Cascades NP on Rte. 20 (via Winthrop, WA) to Seattle.
An alternative routing would take me further South from Butte via Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon NM, Boise, (Portland OR optional), Mt. Rainier, to Seattle. I think I could also visit some sites along the Oregon Trail if I chose these routing.
Time budget will be relatively flexible for either route. I think 3 nights on the road would be a minimum, 5-6 nights probably the maximum.
Have a nice drive with some scenic or interesting intervals.
A few spots on the way to explore some history. Anything that could be tagged from "Old West", ghost towns to 1950s/60s Americana sure would interest me. Even if it's not some grand-scale tourist attraction.
Do some short hikes/trails (1-2 hrs).
Nature/ national parks are also very welcome, though I am very happy with the not-so-famous ones.
Any ideas which route would be "best" or what sights or options I am still missing.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Road Trip: Butte, MT to Seattle, WA.. which route to take?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Long Weekend In Austin, Texas
- 2 Help with seeing Rocky Mountain National Park
- 3 Colorado aspen updates
- 4 4 week family trip ideas
- 5 Yosemite Lodging
- 6 Tucson area flooding
- 7 Ground transportation Buffalo NY airport to Oakville, ON Canada?
- 8 Seward, Coopers Landing, Homer
- 9 What's new on Maui?
- 10 Another California/Utah/Arizona Road Trip Where to EAT
- 11 First trip to Portland, OR - looking for recommendations
- 12 Oregon Road Trip
- 13 Broadway choices
- 14 Hotel recommendations for Western Oregon
- 15 Mequite NV, Where to Stay for One Night?
- 16 Moving to New Jersey
- 17 Fairbanks, denali, kenai peninsula
- 18 Restaurants near Mendocino area
- 19 Kauai and Molokai or Kauai and Maui for 10 days?
- 20 New England Newbie - Help with 13 night itinerary - October
- 21 Safe for female travelling alone to Alaska in early November?
- 22 Arizona / Utah Itinerary
- 23 Getaway
- 24 Refining my California Itinerary
- 25 Palm Desert California recommendations for dining