In 2 weeks I'll be going on a 3 week trip thru the NW US (and SW Canada).
I'm pretty fine with the first leg from my starting point, Calgary, to Butte, MT (incl. Glacier/Waterton NP)
But still a bit unsure which route to take from Montana to Washington.
Going west from Montana, I could stick closer to the border and follow I-90 (not necessarily driving I-90 all the way) to Spokane. Then veer off to the North to go thru North Cascades NP on Rte. 20 (via Winthrop, WA) to Seattle.
An alternative routing would take me further South from Butte via Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon NM, Boise, (Portland OR optional), Mt. Rainier, to Seattle. I think I could also visit some sites along the Oregon Trail if I chose these routing.
Time budget will be relatively flexible for either route. I think 3 nights on the road would be a minimum, 5-6 nights probably the maximum.
Have a nice drive with some scenic or interesting intervals.
A few spots on the way to explore some history. Anything that could be tagged from "Old West", ghost towns to 1950s/60s Americana sure would interest me. Even if it's not some grand-scale tourist attraction.
Do some short hikes/trails (1-2 hrs).
Nature/ national parks are also very welcome, though I am very happy with the not-so-famous ones.
Any ideas which route would be "best" or what sights or options I am still missing.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Road Trip: Butte, MT to Seattle, WA.. which route to take?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Antelope Canyon, Best Friends, Bryce, Zion trip report
- 2 Packer game hotel on the bus line.
- 3 "HUMORLESS" response to Kauai comment silliness
- 4 bus tour for Grand canyon(South Rim), Horse shoe in 1-day?
- 5 I am "The Prince of Tides"
- 6 NYC becoming a battleground for Air BnB apartment rentals
- 7 Drinking a beer in all 50 states for cancer reseach. Need bar suggestions!
- 8 Wilderness Lodge at Disney World questions
- 9 Kanab and Page with Kids Trip Report
- 10 Trip Report to Pacific Northwest: August 2014
- 11 Quick advice needed for 1st visit to HNL & Kauai
- 12 How to dress in Vegas
- 13 USA trip
- 14 Things to do in and around Westbrook, CT in November 2014
- 15 Chicago Questions
- 16 Air Connections on Maui
- 17 camaro hire in waikiki
- 18 Pet Friendly places in Myrtle Beach
- 19 Timeshare Nightmares
- 20 Booking Lodging at the Grand Canyon
- 21 Breckenridge in October
- 22 New Orleans in November - too cool?
- 23 Orlando for Work
- 24 sleepy hollow NY......what to do????
- 25 Ski Season Underway in Colorado