In 2 weeks I'll be going on a 3 week trip thru the NW US (and SW Canada).
I'm pretty fine with the first leg from my starting point, Calgary, to Butte, MT (incl. Glacier/Waterton NP)
But still a bit unsure which route to take from Montana to Washington.
Going west from Montana, I could stick closer to the border and follow I-90 (not necessarily driving I-90 all the way) to Spokane. Then veer off to the North to go thru North Cascades NP on Rte. 20 (via Winthrop, WA) to Seattle.
An alternative routing would take me further South from Butte via Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon NM, Boise, (Portland OR optional), Mt. Rainier, to Seattle. I think I could also visit some sites along the Oregon Trail if I chose these routing.
Time budget will be relatively flexible for either route. I think 3 nights on the road would be a minimum, 5-6 nights probably the maximum.
Have a nice drive with some scenic or interesting intervals.
A few spots on the way to explore some history. Anything that could be tagged from "Old West", ghost towns to 1950s/60s Americana sure would interest me. Even if it's not some grand-scale tourist attraction.
Do some short hikes/trails (1-2 hrs).
Nature/ national parks are also very welcome, though I am very happy with the not-so-famous ones.
Any ideas which route would be "best" or what sights or options I am still missing.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Road Trip: Butte, MT to Seattle, WA.. which route to take?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Ackislander
- 2 Cross Country RV Trip
- 3 Northern California in February
- 4 Universal Orlando
- 5 Park Central Hotel via Priceline uh-oh
- 6 Scottsdale Mexican Restaurant Near Omni Scottsdale
- 7 Where should a coffee drinker worship in NYC?
- 8 Roadtrip in the deep south in August?
- 9 California
- 10 First Trip to California with Family of 6
- 11 Less than a day in Seattle area
- 12 Portsmouth NH without a car
- 13 East Coast Summer Vacation Destination
- 14 Photos from Texas Christmas Road Trip
- 15 Sunday jazz brunch & weekday afternoon tea recs?
- 16 Florida or caribbean
- 17 Baby Boomer Road Trip
- 18 Petrified national forest, AZ
- 19 Chattanooga to Washington DC via Blue Ridge Parkway
- 20 Deep South sept 2015
- 21 1st time DC-NYC for family of 5 - Need itinerary advice
- 22 Winter trip over the holiday season
- 23 New England September
- 24 17 day photo trip report - upstate New York
- 25 Active Vacation