In 2 weeks I'll be going on a 3 week trip thru the NW US (and SW Canada).
I'm pretty fine with the first leg from my starting point, Calgary, to Butte, MT (incl. Glacier/Waterton NP)
But still a bit unsure which route to take from Montana to Washington.
Going west from Montana, I could stick closer to the border and follow I-90 (not necessarily driving I-90 all the way) to Spokane. Then veer off to the North to go thru North Cascades NP on Rte. 20 (via Winthrop, WA) to Seattle.
An alternative routing would take me further South from Butte via Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon NM, Boise, (Portland OR optional), Mt. Rainier, to Seattle. I think I could also visit some sites along the Oregon Trail if I chose these routing.
Time budget will be relatively flexible for either route. I think 3 nights on the road would be a minimum, 5-6 nights probably the maximum.
Have a nice drive with some scenic or interesting intervals.
A few spots on the way to explore some history. Anything that could be tagged from "Old West", ghost towns to 1950s/60s Americana sure would interest me. Even if it's not some grand-scale tourist attraction.
Do some short hikes/trails (1-2 hrs).
Nature/ national parks are also very welcome, though I am very happy with the not-so-famous ones.
Any ideas which route would be "best" or what sights or options I am still missing.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Florida apartments/condos?
- 2 Best way from LaGuardia to Stamford
- 3 Leesburg VA area restaurants
- 4 5 or 6 day road trip from Seattle
- 5 Broadway Banter? Fall 2016 - calling HowardR
- 6 Washington DC to Orlando
- 7 Guys Ski Trip in Breckenridge
- 8 NYC - 2 days and nights mid week in May
- 9 Seattle first timers....outdoor trip in October
- 10 Best Fall Foliage in NM and CO?
- 11 Rental car question
- 12 Yosemite places to eat in half dome village
- 13 Island Hopping. Need #1 things to do on each island.
- 14 Travel from Lee Vining To Murphy California
- 15 Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks
- 16 Long Island near Brookhaven
- 17 South Beach in October
- 18 Any suggestions about portable WIFI devices in the US?
- 19 VRBO is now charging renters a service fee--What's up?
- 20 Nantucket ferry - how badly did I miscalculate?
- 21 Grand Canyon hike
- 22 Renting camper van/ motor home
- 23 Live theater in the PNW/BC in October?
- 24 My kingdom for an acai bowl on Hawaii Island
- 25 Quick Acela Questions
Road Trip: Butte, MT to Seattle, WA.. which route to take?