In 2 weeks I'll be going on a 3 week trip thru the NW US (and SW Canada).
I'm pretty fine with the first leg from my starting point, Calgary, to Butte, MT (incl. Glacier/Waterton NP)
But still a bit unsure which route to take from Montana to Washington.
Going west from Montana, I could stick closer to the border and follow I-90 (not necessarily driving I-90 all the way) to Spokane. Then veer off to the North to go thru North Cascades NP on Rte. 20 (via Winthrop, WA) to Seattle.
An alternative routing would take me further South from Butte via Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon NM, Boise, (Portland OR optional), Mt. Rainier, to Seattle. I think I could also visit some sites along the Oregon Trail if I chose these routing.
Time budget will be relatively flexible for either route. I think 3 nights on the road would be a minimum, 5-6 nights probably the maximum.
Have a nice drive with some scenic or interesting intervals.
A few spots on the way to explore some history. Anything that could be tagged from "Old West", ghost towns to 1950s/60s Americana sure would interest me. Even if it's not some grand-scale tourist attraction.
Do some short hikes/trails (1-2 hrs).
Nature/ national parks are also very welcome, though I am very happy with the not-so-famous ones.
Any ideas which route would be "best" or what sights or options I am still missing.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Road Trip: Butte, MT to Seattle, WA.. which route to take?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 From NY to Miami with 3 teenage kids
- 2 Tipping advice
- 3 Queens, NY - Do not go
- 4 Avis Car rental Loss Damage Waiver LDW Fraud
- 5 Transportation from Newark airport to Secaucus
- 6 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 7 Rules of the Sidewalk
- 8 Wyndham timeshares--should we or shouldn't
- 9 After Chigago ? side trips- suggestions
- 10 Restaurant in NYC advice
- 11 USA New York City: First-time Visitors
- 12 5 Days in San Antonio and Austin Texas
- 13 Solo Female Traveller to New Orleans
- 14 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 15 Dad and daughter trip to Santa Fe
- 16 Wilmington, NC to Raleigh - Anything interesting to see in between?
- 17 charleston during Christmas Week
- 18 Fort Myers Beach vs Naples Beach
- 19 Advanced Reservations for USS Arizona Memorial Available Again
- 20 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 21 Tuscon to Las Vegas Drive in December
- 22 Hawaii Rental Cars - Book early
- 23 Boston, NYC or Chicago for 3rd weekend in March?
- 24 Maui - Need a Vegan-Friendly Restaurant Recommendation
- 25 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?