In 2 weeks I'll be going on a 3 week trip thru the NW US (and SW Canada).
I'm pretty fine with the first leg from my starting point, Calgary, to Butte, MT (incl. Glacier/Waterton NP)
But still a bit unsure which route to take from Montana to Washington.
Going west from Montana, I could stick closer to the border and follow I-90 (not necessarily driving I-90 all the way) to Spokane. Then veer off to the North to go thru North Cascades NP on Rte. 20 (via Winthrop, WA) to Seattle.
An alternative routing would take me further South from Butte via Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon NM, Boise, (Portland OR optional), Mt. Rainier, to Seattle. I think I could also visit some sites along the Oregon Trail if I chose these routing.
Time budget will be relatively flexible for either route. I think 3 nights on the road would be a minimum, 5-6 nights probably the maximum.
Have a nice drive with some scenic or interesting intervals.
A few spots on the way to explore some history. Anything that could be tagged from "Old West", ghost towns to 1950s/60s Americana sure would interest me. Even if it's not some grand-scale tourist attraction.
Do some short hikes/trails (1-2 hrs).
Nature/ national parks are also very welcome, though I am very happy with the not-so-famous ones.
Any ideas which route would be "best" or what sights or options I am still missing.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Road Trip: Butte, MT to Seattle, WA.. which route to take?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Berkshires
- 2 Disappointed with Budget Car Rental Las Vegas
- 3 Sea world San Diego
- 4 Car rentals- San Francisco
- 5 Fiery Furnace Hike in Arches national park
- 6 Jersey Shore to NYC?
- 7 Portland to San Fransisco in 7 days in mid March
- 8 Friendship, fiddling, and freezing in Boston
- 9 Prince of Wales or Many Glacier? WHY?
- 10 Las Vegas in March
- 11 Just started to plan my Mid-March visit to Alaska!
- 12 Where is the best shrimp on Oahu
- 13 Hotel: Union Sq. or Fisherman's Wharf?
- 14 September Long Weekend in SW Colorado
- 15 Clearwater visit.
- 16 Centrally located hotel in Philadelphia
- 17 Glacier National Park 10 Days
- 18 2nd Trip to Alaska, Looking for some off the beaten path suggestions
- 19 Bear Viewing in Alaska in early June... Any cost effective recommendations?
- 20 hotels near Denali
- 21 Dessert with a view in Monterey?
- 22 Suggested route for National Park's drive, starting in Glacier NP.........
- 23 Lunch on the Turquoise Trail
- 24 Utah 2
- 25 9 Day Itinerary in NOLA