In 2 weeks I'll be going on a 3 week trip thru the NW US (and SW Canada).
I'm pretty fine with the first leg from my starting point, Calgary, to Butte, MT (incl. Glacier/Waterton NP)
But still a bit unsure which route to take from Montana to Washington.
Going west from Montana, I could stick closer to the border and follow I-90 (not necessarily driving I-90 all the way) to Spokane. Then veer off to the North to go thru North Cascades NP on Rte. 20 (via Winthrop, WA) to Seattle.
An alternative routing would take me further South from Butte via Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon NM, Boise, (Portland OR optional), Mt. Rainier, to Seattle. I think I could also visit some sites along the Oregon Trail if I chose these routing.
Time budget will be relatively flexible for either route. I think 3 nights on the road would be a minimum, 5-6 nights probably the maximum.
Have a nice drive with some scenic or interesting intervals.
A few spots on the way to explore some history. Anything that could be tagged from "Old West", ghost towns to 1950s/60s Americana sure would interest me. Even if it's not some grand-scale tourist attraction.
Do some short hikes/trails (1-2 hrs).
Nature/ national parks are also very welcome, though I am very happy with the not-so-famous ones.
Any ideas which route would be "best" or what sights or options I am still missing.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Pacific Grove for 5 or 6 nights
- 2 Cleveland West Side Market
- 3 Recent Spam Attacks
- 4 Santa Fe, New Mexico looking for a house
- 5 Boston hotel in May - Suburb and using the T-line
- 6 Is Yosemite worth going too in July?
- 7 Driving from Glacier National Park to Hood River
- 8 Heading to Asheville, NC
- 9 HAWAII- best islands at xmas time
- 10 Maui - luau question
- 11 Looking for advice on my hitchhike trip plan
- 12 LA/ Santa Monica with boyfriend and another couple!
- 13 Family trip Las Vegas to Zion, Bryce, Page, GC and Sedona?
- 14 Las vegas hotel off the beaten path
- 15 Zurich airport connections
- 16 I95 or I81 to Florida from NJ on Memorial Day Weekend Friday?
- 17 NEW ORLEANS AND CAJUN COUNTRY...A WEEK-LONG FOOD QUEST
- 18 Miami airport--safety??
- 19 Mesa Verde National Park Colorado
- 20 Cape Cod summer vacation
- 21 Things to do in Toronto
- 22 San Fran & Monterey Bay with Tweens
- 23 How Much??-Taxi from Atlanta airport to Emory University
- 24 UC Santa Barbara hotels
- 25 US whole month of January where to
Road Trip: Butte, MT to Seattle, WA.. which route to take?