In 2 weeks I'll be going on a 3 week trip thru the NW US (and SW Canada).
I'm pretty fine with the first leg from my starting point, Calgary, to Butte, MT (incl. Glacier/Waterton NP)
But still a bit unsure which route to take from Montana to Washington.
Going west from Montana, I could stick closer to the border and follow I-90 (not necessarily driving I-90 all the way) to Spokane. Then veer off to the North to go thru North Cascades NP on Rte. 20 (via Winthrop, WA) to Seattle.
An alternative routing would take me further South from Butte via Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon NM, Boise, (Portland OR optional), Mt. Rainier, to Seattle. I think I could also visit some sites along the Oregon Trail if I chose these routing.
Time budget will be relatively flexible for either route. I think 3 nights on the road would be a minimum, 5-6 nights probably the maximum.
Have a nice drive with some scenic or interesting intervals.
A few spots on the way to explore some history. Anything that could be tagged from "Old West", ghost towns to 1950s/60s Americana sure would interest me. Even if it's not some grand-scale tourist attraction.
Do some short hikes/trails (1-2 hrs).
Nature/ national parks are also very welcome, though I am very happy with the not-so-famous ones.
Any ideas which route would be "best" or what sights or options I am still missing.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Road Trip: Butte, MT to Seattle, WA.. which route to take?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Seattle to California (Northern) by car
- 2 Ft. Myers, Fl airport rental agencies
- 3 Northern California for 7 days in May
- 4 Connecticut Highway 1. Should we do it?
- 5 Does the Warner Brothers Tour (Burbank) actually sell out?
- 6 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!
- 7 New York City-New Things?
- 8 Camping Generator!?
- 9 Minneapolis Parking
- 10 Alaska Trip Planning
- 11 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 12 Which neighborhood to stay in that's convenient to Broadway shows?
- 13 4/30/2015 Driving Vegas to Newport Rhode Island - southern route
- 14 DC - WW2 flyover
- 15 How Do We Get from JFK to Stamford, CT?
- 16 3 Days in Northern California w Car- Itinerary Recommendations?
- 17 Lake Tahoe - May Vacation Advice
- 18 NC or SC Beach Escape
- 19 Best place to stay for Canyon de Chelly
- 20 Feedback needed for our book club trip to New England
- 21 Which 2 islands to visit?
- 22 Fun girls' weekend in San Antonio - recommendations?
- 23 Best restaurants in Seattle
- 24 Washington Monument Reservtions and timing ~ plus Paddleboats
- 25 Things to do in La Jolla