In 2 weeks I'll be going on a 3 week trip thru the NW US (and SW Canada).
I'm pretty fine with the first leg from my starting point, Calgary, to Butte, MT (incl. Glacier/Waterton NP)
But still a bit unsure which route to take from Montana to Washington.
Going west from Montana, I could stick closer to the border and follow I-90 (not necessarily driving I-90 all the way) to Spokane. Then veer off to the North to go thru North Cascades NP on Rte. 20 (via Winthrop, WA) to Seattle.
An alternative routing would take me further South from Butte via Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon NM, Boise, (Portland OR optional), Mt. Rainier, to Seattle. I think I could also visit some sites along the Oregon Trail if I chose these routing.
Time budget will be relatively flexible for either route. I think 3 nights on the road would be a minimum, 5-6 nights probably the maximum.
Have a nice drive with some scenic or interesting intervals.
A few spots on the way to explore some history. Anything that could be tagged from "Old West", ghost towns to 1950s/60s Americana sure would interest me. Even if it's not some grand-scale tourist attraction.
Do some short hikes/trails (1-2 hrs).
Nature/ national parks are also very welcome, though I am very happy with the not-so-famous ones.
Any ideas which route would be "best" or what sights or options I am still missing.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Road Trip: Butte, MT to Seattle, WA.. which route to take?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Boutique Hotels - NYC
- 2 Alexandria or Georgetown
- 3 3 Days in Denver area- want to hike and bike, stay in Boulder or Denver?
- 4 Where to stay with kids in Nashville
- 5 An overnight stay in NYC to see 2 shows
- 6 Searching For The Rhythm Of Florida
- 7 Atlanta with kids
- 8 Santa Fe advice needed (40th anniversary)
- 9 Any nice Family Camps near Lake Winnepesauki?
- 10 Boston/Fenway park
- 11 VRBO/Airbnb rental status in San Francisco
- 12 Downtown Denver restaurant recommendation, please~
- 13 Hardly Strictly Bluegrass
- 14 New York City Taking First Steps Against Air BnB Members
- 15 Which NYC subway should I take?
- 16 New York City Restaurants
- 17 Cabaret seating at Studio 54 - huh?
- 18 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 19 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 20 East Coast road trip from Boston to Washington DC
- 21 Spring Has Officially Sprung in Central Park
- 22 Family Camp in Maine
- 23 San Diego
- 24 Suggestions for road trip with children from Birmingham, AL to Grand Canyon
- 25 2 Days in Portland - Best of?