In 2 weeks I'll be going on a 3 week trip thru the NW US (and SW Canada).
I'm pretty fine with the first leg from my starting point, Calgary, to Butte, MT (incl. Glacier/Waterton NP)
But still a bit unsure which route to take from Montana to Washington.
Going west from Montana, I could stick closer to the border and follow I-90 (not necessarily driving I-90 all the way) to Spokane. Then veer off to the North to go thru North Cascades NP on Rte. 20 (via Winthrop, WA) to Seattle.
An alternative routing would take me further South from Butte via Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon NM, Boise, (Portland OR optional), Mt. Rainier, to Seattle. I think I could also visit some sites along the Oregon Trail if I chose these routing.
Time budget will be relatively flexible for either route. I think 3 nights on the road would be a minimum, 5-6 nights probably the maximum.
Have a nice drive with some scenic or interesting intervals.
A few spots on the way to explore some history. Anything that could be tagged from "Old West", ghost towns to 1950s/60s Americana sure would interest me. Even if it's not some grand-scale tourist attraction.
Do some short hikes/trails (1-2 hrs).
Nature/ national parks are also very welcome, though I am very happy with the not-so-famous ones.
Any ideas which route would be "best" or what sights or options I am still missing.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 AUGUST---7 day San Fran to San Diego
- 2 Lake Tahoe hotel with a lake view
- 3 Aug. cruise wardrobe
- 4 Desert Southwest
- 5 Napa valley getaway
- 6 CA Fire - need revised itinerary help
- 7 Transit Advisory - PATH system - Weekends from August 6 to December 19, 2016
- 8 Los Angeles Indefinitely
- 9 Best restaurants?! - first time to NYC!
- 10 Help Planning Zion/Bryce Itinerary
- 11 Road trip from Gulf Coast to Key West
- 12 Boston waterfront Italian
- 13 Last minute Maine/New Hampshire trip
- 14 Need help with National Parks trip in 2017
- 15 Day in Spokane
- 16 Zion and Bryce in July
- 17 Marriott or Sheraton in Orlando?
- 18 Kids Vacation Place
- 19 East United State - what do you reccomend ?
- 20 First time, Best business class?
- 21 What to pack
- 22 Trip Report: 2 weeks from SF to Yellowstone and back, June 2016
- 23 summer vacation
- 24 Restaurant Recs for Minneapolis
- 25 Planning Rim2Rim Hike at Grand Canyon
Road Trip: Butte, MT to Seattle, WA.. which route to take?