In 2 weeks I'll be going on a 3 week trip thru the NW US (and SW Canada).
I'm pretty fine with the first leg from my starting point, Calgary, to Butte, MT (incl. Glacier/Waterton NP)
But still a bit unsure which route to take from Montana to Washington.
Going west from Montana, I could stick closer to the border and follow I-90 (not necessarily driving I-90 all the way) to Spokane. Then veer off to the North to go thru North Cascades NP on Rte. 20 (via Winthrop, WA) to Seattle.
An alternative routing would take me further South from Butte via Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon NM, Boise, (Portland OR optional), Mt. Rainier, to Seattle. I think I could also visit some sites along the Oregon Trail if I chose these routing.
Time budget will be relatively flexible for either route. I think 3 nights on the road would be a minimum, 5-6 nights probably the maximum.
Have a nice drive with some scenic or interesting intervals.
A few spots on the way to explore some history. Anything that could be tagged from "Old West", ghost towns to 1950s/60s Americana sure would interest me. Even if it's not some grand-scale tourist attraction.
Do some short hikes/trails (1-2 hrs).
Nature/ national parks are also very welcome, though I am very happy with the not-so-famous ones.
Any ideas which route would be "best" or what sights or options I am still missing.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Places to stay in TX...?
- 2 Need a short term apartment in BOSTON
- 3 Roadtrip in the South. Help on when to go!
- 4 Alabama vs. Florida Beaches
- 5 Itinerary Advice for SLC - Moab - Zion
- 6 NYC - Sargent - Sorolla
- 7 Best Place to Stay in Asheville, North Carolina with 80 year old dad
- 8 San Fran to LA via PCH
- 9 Silverthorne
- 10 Another Quick NYC Trip - Food Ideas?
- 11 Best Affordable Hotel to Stay in Montana - Deborah
- 12 Highway 1 motels
- 13 New Orleans Best Guided Tours
- 14 Overwhelmed by Alaskan shore excursion choices
- 15 San Diego Clothing Help (woman)
- 16 Alaska itinerary - Anchorage, Seward, Denali, Juneau.
- 17 San Antonio
- 18 11 days SE coast road trip
- 19 Kauai Eats... Recommendations??
- 20 Getting around in NYC
- 21 Mountains, Hiking and Wildlife in Fall
- 22 Should I cancel Florida vacation?
- 23 Looking for pretty waterfront hotel for weekend trip from Detroit
- 24 3.5 weeks in the Deep South
- 25 International student, applying for school
Road Trip: Butte, MT to Seattle, WA.. which route to take?