In 2 weeks I'll be going on a 3 week trip thru the NW US (and SW Canada).
I'm pretty fine with the first leg from my starting point, Calgary, to Butte, MT (incl. Glacier/Waterton NP)
But still a bit unsure which route to take from Montana to Washington.
Going west from Montana, I could stick closer to the border and follow I-90 (not necessarily driving I-90 all the way) to Spokane. Then veer off to the North to go thru North Cascades NP on Rte. 20 (via Winthrop, WA) to Seattle.
An alternative routing would take me further South from Butte via Idaho Falls, Craters of the Moon NM, Boise, (Portland OR optional), Mt. Rainier, to Seattle. I think I could also visit some sites along the Oregon Trail if I chose these routing.
Time budget will be relatively flexible for either route. I think 3 nights on the road would be a minimum, 5-6 nights probably the maximum.
Have a nice drive with some scenic or interesting intervals.
A few spots on the way to explore some history. Anything that could be tagged from "Old West", ghost towns to 1950s/60s Americana sure would interest me. Even if it's not some grand-scale tourist attraction.
Do some short hikes/trails (1-2 hrs).
Nature/ national parks are also very welcome, though I am very happy with the not-so-famous ones.
Any ideas which route would be "best" or what sights or options I am still missing.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 http://vitalieskincaretry.com/power-testro/
- 2 MY BIo
- 3 Boston, Maine, Nantucket/MV, RI,
- 4 Frustrated with VRBO owners
- 5 Live in FL need a road trip suggestion
- 6 Avalon/ Catalina Questions
- 7 Vegas-GC-Page-Bryce-Zion-Vegas
- 8 Vegetarian options in New Orleans
- 9 Driving from Seattle to San Deigo
- 10 Itinerary help for 3-night stay in DC?
- 11 Oregon Itinerary Critique, please.
- 12 Realistic expectations in Yellowstone in July
- 13 Dining at CIA in Hyde Park
- 14 Trip from Anchorage to Homer, AK
- 15 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!
- 16 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 17 Anniversary Getaway in August Where Too?
- 18 New Orleans music
- 19 Contemplating moving from Chicago to Nashville
- 20 What to do with teenagers in Napa and Mendocino
- 21 Las Vegas Show Advice for Beatles Fan
- 22 Washington DC: your favorite part of your visit
- 23 Christmas vacation-Maui or Carribean?
- 24 Holman Ranch vineyard tour in Carmel Valley (Monterey County)
- 25 Rental Car using the ferries in Washington
Road Trip: Butte, MT to Seattle, WA.. which route to take?