I am from Australia and am taking a Nth American trip in August, with 16 days, starting from NYC to see the coast of Maine, Nova Scotia and PEI and get to Rochester NY to drop the car off and fly out.
I am looking at somthing like the following day by day sched.
1. NYC to Providence, RI by Amtrak. Pickup rental car.
2. RI via Plymouth to Portland, ME
3. Wiscasset, Boothbay Hbr to Port Clyde
4 Ferry to Monhegan Is from Port Clyde, Rockland, Rockport, Camden
5-6 Bar Harbor, Acadian Nat Pk,
7. Saint John, NB ferry to Digby NS, Lunenburg
8. Mahone Bay, Peggy's Cove, Halifax
9-10 Cabot Trail, Cape Breton
12 PEI to Moncton, NB
13-16. Gaspe to Rochester, NY
I realise it is a big rush, but it is my only opportunity to see these areas. We are two adults in our 50's, I am used to driving long distances. We prefer seascapes, scenery, islands, over cities and shopping etc.
I figure much in these areas will be similar. Any suggestions what could be dropped and what is best kept?
Should we forget Boothbay? I am happy just to focus on the Acadian Nat Park and not spend more than an evening in Bar Harbor, or is it better to forget that as well and put more time into Cape Breton etc. in Nova Scotia?
I've thought about including Newfoundland, and cutting out some other areas. But even though I hear it is the most beautiful of all these areas I am it sounds a step too far to fit it in, especially with so much time getting there and back by ferry.
Any comments, recommendation are much appreciated. I doubt I will get the opportunity to get back to Maine and the Maritimes again, so I am working hard to plan the best trip I can do in the time.
Thanks in advance,
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 CANON printer 1:800:681:7208 installations CONTACT ☎ CANON TEC*h care 24/7
- 2 Christmas in Colorado
- 3 Hawaii and...where?
- 4 Fall vacation in Beavers Bend State Park
- 5 Broken Bow, Oklahoma in the Fall
- 6 Babysitting on the North Shore, Oahu
- 7 Marfa/Big Bend
- 8 usa roadtrip
- 9 Driving conditions from Denver to Winter Park
- 10 DC Restaurants
- 11 Williamsburg, VA reunion for 80 year olds
- 12 Visiting San Antonio early November
- 13 Where to stay in Little Rock AR
- 14 3-day beach weekend in FL Nov for 2 adults
- 15 JFK to Washington
- 16 Phoenix for the weekend
- 17 Driving from FLL to Key West
- 18 LA Cali for 3 days alone, What To Do?
- 19 Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge in Big Sur to reopen at 5pm Friday October 13th
- 20 Route from Denver to SteamboatSprings
- 21 Mardi Gras - avoid or embrace?
- 22 TR Animal Kingdom Florida - WDW
- 23 Gatlinburg/Smokies trip report, with photos and captions
- 24 Los Angeles for Christmas
- 25 PNW & its grudge against the bumbershoot