I am from Australia and am taking a Nth American trip in August, with 16 days, starting from NYC to see the coast of Maine, Nova Scotia and PEI and get to Rochester NY to drop the car off and fly out.
I am looking at somthing like the following day by day sched.
1. NYC to Providence, RI by Amtrak. Pickup rental car.
2. RI via Plymouth to Portland, ME
3. Wiscasset, Boothbay Hbr to Port Clyde
4 Ferry to Monhegan Is from Port Clyde, Rockland, Rockport, Camden
5-6 Bar Harbor, Acadian Nat Pk,
7. Saint John, NB ferry to Digby NS, Lunenburg
8. Mahone Bay, Peggy's Cove, Halifax
9-10 Cabot Trail, Cape Breton
12 PEI to Moncton, NB
13-16. Gaspe to Rochester, NY
I realise it is a big rush, but it is my only opportunity to see these areas. We are two adults in our 50's, I am used to driving long distances. We prefer seascapes, scenery, islands, over cities and shopping etc.
I figure much in these areas will be similar. Any suggestions what could be dropped and what is best kept?
Should we forget Boothbay? I am happy just to focus on the Acadian Nat Park and not spend more than an evening in Bar Harbor, or is it better to forget that as well and put more time into Cape Breton etc. in Nova Scotia?
I've thought about including Newfoundland, and cutting out some other areas. But even though I hear it is the most beautiful of all these areas I am it sounds a step too far to fit it in, especially with so much time getting there and back by ferry.
Any comments, recommendation are much appreciated. I doubt I will get the opportunity to get back to Maine and the Maritimes again, so I am working hard to plan the best trip I can do in the time.
Thanks in advance,
Road Trip Aug 2010; RI, ME, Maritimes
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Road trip next summes...Suggestions ?
- 2 Dining in Manhattan
- 3 Chicago- The Godfrey hotel or the Hotel Burnham????
- 4 St Patrick's renovations
- 5 New Casual Italian/Pizza Restaurant, via Danny Meyer: MARTA
- 6 The reason for choosing Anti Aging serum Is Ok Or Not?
- 7 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 8 Escape cold in mid-Feb (4) nights from Michigan
- 9 Boston Uber shenanigans? Fake airport fees
- 10 where in 'Charleston' would you winter?
- 11 4 week family trip ideas
- 12 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 13 ideas for roadtrip through Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado
- 14 Is It Possible - One Post for MT, UT, WY in a Week?
- 15 From Seattle airport to the city
- 16 General Utah planning questions
- 17 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 18 Protecting yourself when using VRBO
- 19 Washington and Oregon Fall vacation 2015
- 20 need two stop-overs from LA to Santa Fe, NM
- 21 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 22 New York City Christmas Trip
- 23 Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, February
- 24 Washington - North cascades trails (Goat Lake and others) okay in winter?
- 25 Colorado Skiing