I am from Australia and am taking a Nth American trip in August, with 16 days, starting from NYC to see the coast of Maine, Nova Scotia and PEI and get to Rochester NY to drop the car off and fly out.
I am looking at somthing like the following day by day sched.
1. NYC to Providence, RI by Amtrak. Pickup rental car.
2. RI via Plymouth to Portland, ME
3. Wiscasset, Boothbay Hbr to Port Clyde
4 Ferry to Monhegan Is from Port Clyde, Rockland, Rockport, Camden
5-6 Bar Harbor, Acadian Nat Pk,
7. Saint John, NB ferry to Digby NS, Lunenburg
8. Mahone Bay, Peggy's Cove, Halifax
9-10 Cabot Trail, Cape Breton
12 PEI to Moncton, NB
13-16. Gaspe to Rochester, NY
I realise it is a big rush, but it is my only opportunity to see these areas. We are two adults in our 50's, I am used to driving long distances. We prefer seascapes, scenery, islands, over cities and shopping etc.
I figure much in these areas will be similar. Any suggestions what could be dropped and what is best kept?
Should we forget Boothbay? I am happy just to focus on the Acadian Nat Park and not spend more than an evening in Bar Harbor, or is it better to forget that as well and put more time into Cape Breton etc. in Nova Scotia?
I've thought about including Newfoundland, and cutting out some other areas. But even though I hear it is the most beautiful of all these areas I am it sounds a step too far to fit it in, especially with so much time getting there and back by ferry.
Any comments, recommendation are much appreciated. I doubt I will get the opportunity to get back to Maine and the Maritimes again, so I am working hard to plan the best trip I can do in the time.
Thanks in advance,
Road Trip Aug 2010; RI, ME, Maritimes
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Getting to Key West
- 2 62 Hikers airlifted out of Kalalau Trail
- 3 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 4 Indoor Waterpark in Wisconsin Dells ?
- 5 Wisconsin Dells, Lake Geneva or Door county for a family vacation?
- 6 Any edits? San Antonio & Austin Itinerary Dec 31st-Jan 5th or 6th
- 7 Philadelphia Airport Hotels with Extended Parking
- 8 Hang out, Low Key, Getaway Area?
- 9 Best non-tourist trap restaurants in South Beach
- 10 Help needed from USA experts... where to?
- 11 The Sagamore - Winter Activities
- 12 fly fishing spring break - warm weather
- 13 3 weeks in USA in February -- final post before booking hotels
- 14 Portsmouth NH to NYC
- 15 Lake Rabun Hotel
- 16 Dinner in Miami
- 17 Orlando to Savannah
- 18 Tipping advice
- 19 Road trip March from Atlanta
- 20 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 21 After Chigago ? side trips- suggestions
- 22 Met Opera rush tickets - process changed again!
- 23 Need help planning weekend trips: Georgia, Chicago, Tennessee, Alaska?!
- 24 Family Reunion Ideas for Maine Coast
- 25 Seattle hotel recommendation needed