We've been vacationing on Nantucket for years, but were thinking we'd try a Rhode Island beach this summer. We have young children and would love to find a beach town where they can swim (they love waves, but it does need to be swimmable), where we can walk into town to get an ice cream at night, and that has lots of safe biking or walking opportunities. One option is Block Island. Does anyone have any other recommendations that come close to the "feel" of Nantucket in terms of really nice beaches, small town, and nature walks (we can do quite happily without the lily pulitzer shops, however). If Block Island is the best fit, have folks found weekly rentals there to be less expensive than Nantucket? What about Little Compton or any of those areas? Thanks in advance for the advice!
Rhode Island beach vacation
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Yes it's March, but let's talk Christmas destinations!
- 2 driving from San Francisco to Seattle
- 3 Feedback on Palm Springs with Kids Itinerary
- 4 Best places to move to Florida?
- 5 West Coast Bound End of March
- 6 Your favorite Glacier NP lodging and itinerary help
- 7 Grand Circle & Wyoming
- 8 Philly sports fans: bar needed...and running route.
- 9 Here's how I spent my 3 hour layover in Washington, DC
- 10 Oahu ideas
- 11 Vacation rentals in Tucson
- 12 Key Largo, FL
- 13 Death Valley in June in a motorhome
- 14 Death Valley in June
- 15 travel up the coast from San Franciso to Seattle
- 16 Rodeo Near Tulsa or Woodward?
- 17 San Diego grocery stores
- 18 Gatlinburg Tennessee Itinerary suggestions
- 19 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 20 Planning help for honeymoon - likely Maui and the big island of Hawaii
- 21 Southern California Dining Guide - 2014/2015
- 22 Need an interesting place for one night near Memphis
- 23 Nude Beaches- Positive or Negative Experience?
- 24 Buy GoPro Hero3
- 25 Down to three New York City hotels for December visit