My husband and two kids (7 and 4) are planning a week-long driving tour from our home in Portland, Oregon in early August. We'd like to travel far enough south to see the redwoods in Northern California, then travel up the coast as far as Newport, Oregon, then home.
We'd like to do the BIG driving over the course of two days, then stick to short-ish (2-3-hour) hops for the rest of the trip.
I'm ashamed to admit, though, that I have no idea of where to start. I know we'd like to see Bandon and the Oregon Dunes, but the California part of the trip absolutely stumps me.
So! I'd love to get opinions about the best route, the best places to stay, the off-the-beaten-path must-sees along the way, good eats, etc. Thanks for any suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Quick Honeymoon ideas for Nov?
- 2 Bed and Breakfast
- 3 Route from South Rim Grand Canyon to Moab?
- 4 Weekend Getaway with Sights and Horsebackriding Help!!
- 5 Today it rained…on the road in the PNW
- 6 Myrtle Beach hotels that meet my specific criteria
- 7 California relaxing vacation ideas
- 8 which airport when going to Stamford,CT?
- 9 Lake Tahoe Honeymoon
- 10 Suggestions for Philadelphia
- 11 HELP! Solo road trip - the Deep south - Hints & Tips needed!
- 12 Looking for a Bed and breakfast
- 13 Guys Ski Trip in Breckenridge
- 14 Broadway Banter? Fall 2016 - calling HowardR
- 15 The Williamsburg Wedding
- 16 Mass Pike Electronic Tolling starts 10/28
- 17 Yellowstone/Grand Tetons (Oct 2016)
- 18 Polynesian Cultural Centre
- 19 OHare car service north suburbs
- 20 Yellowstone
- 21 Itinerary suggestion for southern Utah and Arizona
- 22 Reasonable accommodations in Wyoming
- 23 Ah, The California Wine Country!
- 24 DCArea GTG April 2017
- 25 Wine Bars in Hollywood / Fort Lauderdale