My husband and two kids (7 and 4) are planning a week-long driving tour from our home in Portland, Oregon in early August. We'd like to travel far enough south to see the redwoods in Northern California, then travel up the coast as far as Newport, Oregon, then home.
We'd like to do the BIG driving over the course of two days, then stick to short-ish (2-3-hour) hops for the rest of the trip.
I'm ashamed to admit, though, that I have no idea of where to start. I know we'd like to see Bandon and the Oregon Dunes, but the California part of the trip absolutely stumps me.
So! I'd love to get opinions about the best route, the best places to stay, the off-the-beaten-path must-sees along the way, good eats, etc. Thanks for any suggestions!
Redwoods driving tour
- 1 hawaii for 10 weeks
- 2 Univesity of Wisconsin Madison college visit -any tips
- 3 Fort Lauderdale weather in late January
- 4 Would this still be a good NYC to Boston Route?
- 5 RV trip from Raleigh NC to Grand Canyon, Zion, Arches.. and?
- 6 Trip Report: New Orleans, Nov. 20 - 25, 2013
- 7 SuperShuttle - are they always so rude?
- 8 Warm and don't Drive
- 9 After 13 Years, We Returned to the Big Apple
- 10 Antelope Canyon, Zion, and Bryce advice needed
- 11 a very short, uneventful trip report of our 10 days in south Kona
- 12 Biloxi questions again
- 13 For NYC Tourists ... How to spot a New Yorker
- 14 Roadtrip New Orleans, Vicksburg, Montgomery, Mobile, New Orleans
- 15 Heard Les Miz is Returning - Production Any Good
- 16 What is the most European looking city in the United States?
- 17 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 18 Traveling the pacific coast highway and national parks in one week
- 19 the Cliffs Resort at Princeville
- 20 Where is the best place to ski and stay in Lake Tahoe??
- 21 San Antonio
- 22 Sedona to Palm Springs
- 23 Family holiday to Hawaii - which islands?
- 24 NOLA 10th Anniv. Suggestions?
- 25 Zion or Death Valley for 2 days in December?