My husband and two kids (7 and 4) are planning a week-long driving tour from our home in Portland, Oregon in early August. We'd like to travel far enough south to see the redwoods in Northern California, then travel up the coast as far as Newport, Oregon, then home.
We'd like to do the BIG driving over the course of two days, then stick to short-ish (2-3-hour) hops for the rest of the trip.
I'm ashamed to admit, though, that I have no idea of where to start. I know we'd like to see Bandon and the Oregon Dunes, but the California part of the trip absolutely stumps me.
So! I'd love to get opinions about the best route, the best places to stay, the off-the-beaten-path must-sees along the way, good eats, etc. Thanks for any suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Glacier-Banaff-Jasper NPs Car Rental
- 2 Disneyworld from a west coast perspective
- 3 Reagan Library
- 4 Southern history- walkable cities
- 5 Ice cream Cape Cod
- 6 Scenic mountain views near Spokane
- 7 US Open Tennis
- 8 where do the locals eat in Portland, Maine
- 9 Hawaii with limited time
- 10 JFK 10 hour layover-World Trade Center + ?
- 11 Your favourite places in New York City
- 12 Steamboat in August
- 13 Hotels in San Diego
- 14 San Diego Marriott Marquis or Omni?
- 15 Suggestions - summer day in New Haven
- 16 Cape cod Labor Day
- 17 Calming Stay near Seattle/Vacouver??
- 18 Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion itinerary
- 19 Los Angeles and Beyond
- 20 A Gem of a Restaurant in Long Beach, CA
- 21 Even Disney isn't Disney anymore
- 22 Aussie family heading to the US for the first time
- 23 Trip report -- Vermont: Bennington and Manchester
- 24 Portland to mt St. Helens and my rainer
- 25 Grand Teton Questions