My husband and two kids (7 and 4) are planning a week-long driving tour from our home in Portland, Oregon in early August. We'd like to travel far enough south to see the redwoods in Northern California, then travel up the coast as far as Newport, Oregon, then home.
We'd like to do the BIG driving over the course of two days, then stick to short-ish (2-3-hour) hops for the rest of the trip.
I'm ashamed to admit, though, that I have no idea of where to start. I know we'd like to see Bandon and the Oregon Dunes, but the California part of the trip absolutely stumps me.
So! I'd love to get opinions about the best route, the best places to stay, the off-the-beaten-path must-sees along the way, good eats, etc. Thanks for any suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 aol Installation Contact 1:800:681:7208 aol Tec*h care 24/7
- 2 RV road trip from CA to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
- 3 Novel in Progress
- 4 Lunch near 9/11 Memorial
- 5 5 Days in Charleston and Savannah in December?
- 6 Eating Well In Manhatten
- 7 Rental car between Providence, RI and Woodstock CT
- 8 Trip Report National Parks Utah in October 2017
- 9 Short Notice
- 10 Utah National Parks Itinerary help please
- 11 Lodging Grand Canyon South Rim
- 12 Pacific Grove/Carmel CA area
- 13 Pawley's Island, SC Favorite Restaurants?
- 14 Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota trip report
- 15 Inn at Key West
- 16 Acadia/Bar Harbor in early June
- 17 8 day Road Trip! Spokane to New Orleans
- 18 Black History Museum
- 19 Advice needed: first trip to Hawaii
- 20 Another Great DC Trip
- 21 Chicago 2017
- 22 I Hiked the Grand Canyon Down & Up in One Day!
- 23 arizona rte 66
- 24 Yellowstone/Glacier - a cabin with a view
- 25 Food & Wine Festival at Epcot