My husband and two kids (7 and 4) are planning a week-long driving tour from our home in Portland, Oregon in early August. We'd like to travel far enough south to see the redwoods in Northern California, then travel up the coast as far as Newport, Oregon, then home.
We'd like to do the BIG driving over the course of two days, then stick to short-ish (2-3-hour) hops for the rest of the trip.
I'm ashamed to admit, though, that I have no idea of where to start. I know we'd like to see Bandon and the Oregon Dunes, but the California part of the trip absolutely stumps me.
So! I'd love to get opinions about the best route, the best places to stay, the off-the-beaten-path must-sees along the way, good eats, etc. Thanks for any suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Favorite restaurants in Savannah
- 2 Alaska trip rough Itinerary for Sep 2017
- 3 I continue to be stumped by amtrak...advice?
- 4 Where to go: Dallas-Austin-Houston-San Antonio
- 5 Trip to Palm Springs and San Diego
- 6 Sacramento Hotel
- 7 USA family tour
- 8 Feinsteins 54 Below
- 9 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 10 Philly Itinerary Help
- 11 4 days road trip southern New England
- 12 How to spend a few days in mid June near Oakland
- 13 Boston Restaurant suggestion
- 14 Road Trip Florida to Maine
- 15 Los Angeles Area Restaurants - 2017 Edition
- 16 California Coast Road Trip Itinerary Help
- 17 Overnight between Moab and Grand Canyon village
- 18 Driving Hwy 12 from Missoula Mr ro Walla Walla WA
- 19 Little Bighorn, beartooth, Yellowstone, Tetons, Jackson hole, Cody
- 20 Quick trip to Poughkeepsie area
- 21 Road Trip-San Francisco and Los Angeles
- 22 Hawaiian Honeymoon - Hotel Advice
- 23 Sky Harbor to Tucson shuttle
- 24 Los Angeles area wildflower viewing?
- 25 Broadway Review - Show & Dinner