My husband and two kids (7 and 4) are planning a week-long driving tour from our home in Portland, Oregon in early August. We'd like to travel far enough south to see the redwoods in Northern California, then travel up the coast as far as Newport, Oregon, then home.
We'd like to do the BIG driving over the course of two days, then stick to short-ish (2-3-hour) hops for the rest of the trip.
I'm ashamed to admit, though, that I have no idea of where to start. I know we'd like to see Bandon and the Oregon Dunes, but the California part of the trip absolutely stumps me.
So! I'd love to get opinions about the best route, the best places to stay, the off-the-beaten-path must-sees along the way, good eats, etc. Thanks for any suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 IAH to HOU Questions
- 2 Going to L.A. dec18-25; Road trip to D.V. and on rt66
- 3 Honeymoon on PCH
- 4 San Francisco food suggestions?
- 5 Photos from Glacier National Park October 2016
- 6 Traveling into the US with Alcohol
- 7 Great OR beach house locations?
- 8 Ideas for New York
- 9 San Francisco transit options
- 10 Best/Cheapest way to get to Copper Mtn, CO?
- 11 Sedona v Scottsdale?
- 12 CEO Dollar Rental Car
- 13 Lodging outside of Yellowstone
- 14 Grand Canyon / Bryce / Zion in August with Teens
- 15 75th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor Attack Events
- 16 Honeymoon Trip to California
- 17 CAJUN region, plus NEW ORLEANS
- 18 Road Trip From Central PA TO CA (LA, California)
- 19 Pittsburgh to Richmond - Possible Routes?
- 20 Where to stay in maui Kihei vs Paia vs Wailea vs Lahaina, Kaanapali
- 21 Hurricane Matthew damage along Florida East Coast?
- 22 Shuttle, taxi or Uber from PGD to Boca Grande area
- 23 3-week one-way cross country trip in June
- 24 No Spam this morning!!
- 25 Four Nights in Texas? San Antonio? Austin? Dallas?