My husband and two kids (7 and 4) are planning a week-long driving tour from our home in Portland, Oregon in early August. We'd like to travel far enough south to see the redwoods in Northern California, then travel up the coast as far as Newport, Oregon, then home.
We'd like to do the BIG driving over the course of two days, then stick to short-ish (2-3-hour) hops for the rest of the trip.
I'm ashamed to admit, though, that I have no idea of where to start. I know we'd like to see Bandon and the Oregon Dunes, but the California part of the trip absolutely stumps me.
So! I'd love to get opinions about the best route, the best places to stay, the off-the-beaten-path must-sees along the way, good eats, etc. Thanks for any suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Planning a 12-13 Day Cali Trip SF to SD
- 2 Ouray to Aspen or Carbondale to Estes
- 3 Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion..
- 4 good restaurant near Nawiliwili port, Kauai
- 5 Luau Worth the Money or Not?
- 6 Uber from Baton Rouge to N.O. Airport
- 7 Train from east cost to west coast
- 8 Civilian Visit to Schofield Barracks and Kolekole Pass
- 9 Walking at Ka'anapali Beach
- 10 Solo Trip to Mid-West
- 11 Arches or Zion?
- 12 Route 66
- 13 3wks in USA, flying in & out of LA, in Jan 2018
- 14 Which National Park summer 2018 with kids
- 15 Charleston Itinerary Feedback Please
- 16 Hiking from Aspen to Crested Butte
- 17 Any nice condo's to stay in Seaside, Florida?
- 18 Where to go for a long winter vacation in Florida, Panama City Beach??
- 19 Driving through Chicago area to Wisconsin
- 20 Restaurant recommendations in falmouth/mashpee, ma area
- 21 Travel Friday Harbor to Olympic Peninsula?
- 22 Trip Report Part 2 (w/teens) - Zion, Bryce and Park City
- 23 Northern California Gardens.
- 24 NEW ORLEANS AND CAJUN COUNTRY...A WEEK-LONG FOOD QUEST
- 25 Adventure Travel in Kenai Peninsula