My husband and two kids (7 and 4) are planning a week-long driving tour from our home in Portland, Oregon in early August. We'd like to travel far enough south to see the redwoods in Northern California, then travel up the coast as far as Newport, Oregon, then home.
We'd like to do the BIG driving over the course of two days, then stick to short-ish (2-3-hour) hops for the rest of the trip.
I'm ashamed to admit, though, that I have no idea of where to start. I know we'd like to see Bandon and the Oregon Dunes, but the California part of the trip absolutely stumps me.
So! I'd love to get opinions about the best route, the best places to stay, the off-the-beaten-path must-sees along the way, good eats, etc. Thanks for any suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Sarasota, Florida, good value hotels
- 2 Road trip from North Carolina to Maine
- 3 Florida Beach Hotel
- 4 Savannah in st patrick's weekend?
- 5 Seafood In Cannon Beach
- 6 Considering a vacation in Texas this year
- 7 Inn at Cocoa Beach Hotel
- 8 Alaska independent tour for group
- 9 Hamilton Broadway
- 10 Port Angelas -Vegas
- 11 Texas area with nature AND proximity to a city?
- 12 Washington DC with kids
- 13 My road trip through southern US.
- 14 Late night eating in Kauai
- 15 Native and Natural Interests near the Grand Canyon
- 16 Florida Nature Trip
- 17 help from a true New Yorker.
- 18 4 days in wine country. Where should we stay?
- 19 Road trip through southern US states - must-see suggestions?
- 20 8 Days in Yellowstone/GTNP
- 21 Our House Has no Hot Tub - Where to Soak in Crested Butte
- 22 Help! Road Trip from Boulder to Oregon 2/2016
- 23 Safety Concerns
- 24 Bronx Help to visit hospital
- 25 Jul, Aug or Sept for California trip, which is preferable and why?