Spent 5 days there after about 10-15 yrs. since last visit, so hardly an expert. Quick impressions:
-Beautiful as ever, especially in sunny May. Vistas EVERYwhere. Architectural surprises everywhere.
-New stuff all the time -- don't miss the DeYoung in Golden Gate Park, esp. view from the tower
-Old stuff is still lovely -- be it Golden Gate Park or the Presidio
-Mass transit is a model for any city. Use the visitor's center near the Powell @ Market crossroads for excellent directions, purchase of passes.
- a great restaurant city, from quick crepes and miso soup to Fisherman's wharf crabs to multi-starred classics
- a great boutique hotel city
- boutique hotels aren't cheap, even if they're plentiful. Look for discounts.
- signage in underground transit is not great, almost impossible to tell from inside a traincar what station you've stopped at.
- maintenance of some things is iffy (although they're working on some of the transit lines). For example, they seem to be arguing about whether to maintain Coit Tower. At the least, they need to cut back the overgrown view-obscuring shrubs and improve the quality of the now-trashy gift shop.
-other than City Lights, a poor bookstore city. A few indies and no Barnes and Noble -- surprising, esp. in Union Sq. area. Go out to Berkeley for books.
No earthquakes while I was there. Sometimes they don't have earthquakes (tongue-in-check icon here).
Quick review - San Francisco
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Use of an iPad in France
- 2 New York City Taking First Steps Against Air BnB Members
- 3 Chicago in early March 2015 - a dilemma...
- 4 New York City Restaurants
- 5 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 6 Helicopter tours from Vegas to Grand Canyon
- 7 2 Days in Portland - Best of?
- 8 Where to stay with kids in Nashville
- 9 Cabin Honeymoon Out West
- 10 DRIVING ACROSS COUNTRY EAST TO WEST MID MAY TO JUNE
- 11 Dining Suggestions for the Baltimore/Annapolis Area?
- 12 Searching For The Rhythm Of Florida
- 13 Trip Report: An Intoxicating Birthday Day-Trip in Napa
- 14 Boston/Fenway park
- 15 California self drive trip
- 16 Santa Fe advice needed (40th anniversary)
- 17 Boutique Hotels - NYC
- 18 Timeshare Nightmares
- 19 Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton itinerary - advice requested please!
- 20 10 day trip to California
- 21 Broken Bow, Oklahoma in the Fall
- 22 Oregon, Washington, Amtrak
- 23 Drive along the Columbia River
- 24 Wine Country Picnic
- 25 Audio Driving Tour Big Island and Oahu