Spent 5 days there after about 10-15 yrs. since last visit, so hardly an expert. Quick impressions:
-Beautiful as ever, especially in sunny May. Vistas EVERYwhere. Architectural surprises everywhere.
-New stuff all the time -- don't miss the DeYoung in Golden Gate Park, esp. view from the tower
-Old stuff is still lovely -- be it Golden Gate Park or the Presidio
-Mass transit is a model for any city. Use the visitor's center near the Powell @ Market crossroads for excellent directions, purchase of passes.
- a great restaurant city, from quick crepes and miso soup to Fisherman's wharf crabs to multi-starred classics
- a great boutique hotel city
- boutique hotels aren't cheap, even if they're plentiful. Look for discounts.
- signage in underground transit is not great, almost impossible to tell from inside a traincar what station you've stopped at.
- maintenance of some things is iffy (although they're working on some of the transit lines). For example, they seem to be arguing about whether to maintain Coit Tower. At the least, they need to cut back the overgrown view-obscuring shrubs and improve the quality of the now-trashy gift shop.
-other than City Lights, a poor bookstore city. A few indies and no Barnes and Noble -- surprising, esp. in Union Sq. area. Go out to Berkeley for books.
No earthquakes while I was there. Sometimes they don't have earthquakes (tongue-in-check icon here).
Quick review - San Francisco
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 2 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 3 Kennebunkport and....?
- 4 Travel options from Washington DC to Williamsburg, Virginia
- 5 Christmas cruise in Hawaii
- 6 Wedding in Hawaii
- 7 Houseboat on Lake Powell
- 8 rain in Kauai
- 9 Grand Staircase Esclante National Monument
- 10 Alaska cruise and land
- 11 Antelope Canyon. Tour form Page or just show up there and pick a guide ?
- 12 Alaska Itinerary/Suggestions
- 13 NEW YORK CITY!!!
- 14 Camping Summer of 2015 Yellowstone? Yosemite? GT?
- 15 Where to go in Maine?
- 16 Jersey City Parking
- 17 Hotel in Santa Barbara
- 18 Autumn stay on Cape Cod
- 19 SF to DR? WTH!
- 20 AirBnB is illegal in San Francisco,
- 21 NYC Itinerary Help
- 22 WISCONSIN
- 23 VRBO/Airbnb rental status in San Francisco
- 24 Washington DC Self Planned Walking Tour
- 25 Baggage on United and Delta Flights