Spent 5 days there after about 10-15 yrs. since last visit, so hardly an expert. Quick impressions:
-Beautiful as ever, especially in sunny May. Vistas EVERYwhere. Architectural surprises everywhere.
-New stuff all the time -- don't miss the DeYoung in Golden Gate Park, esp. view from the tower
-Old stuff is still lovely -- be it Golden Gate Park or the Presidio
-Mass transit is a model for any city. Use the visitor's center near the Powell @ Market crossroads for excellent directions, purchase of passes.
- a great restaurant city, from quick crepes and miso soup to Fisherman's wharf crabs to multi-starred classics
- a great boutique hotel city
- boutique hotels aren't cheap, even if they're plentiful. Look for discounts.
- signage in underground transit is not great, almost impossible to tell from inside a traincar what station you've stopped at.
- maintenance of some things is iffy (although they're working on some of the transit lines). For example, they seem to be arguing about whether to maintain Coit Tower. At the least, they need to cut back the overgrown view-obscuring shrubs and improve the quality of the now-trashy gift shop.
-other than City Lights, a poor bookstore city. A few indies and no Barnes and Noble -- surprising, esp. in Union Sq. area. Go out to Berkeley for books.
No earthquakes while I was there. Sometimes they don't have earthquakes (tongue-in-check icon here).
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Advice Road trip 15 days California Grand Canyon
- 2 San Francisco to Monterey Bay Time?
- 3 1st Visit to USA with kids in Jul-Aug, SFO,LA,SD & LAS - 21 days. Need Help
- 4 Colorado Winter Wedding Venue
- 5 Inexpensive family getaways
- 6 A day at Franconia Notch State Park and White Mountain National Forest
- 7 San Francisco to Indianapolis road trip with young kids
- 8 Rocky Mountain National Park early June
- 9 New York best app
- 10 Last minute: late lunch near Neue Gallerie?
- 11 Cape Cod in September with toddler
- 12 Hawaii Cruise
- 13 Help Flying to Portland, Maine
- 14 Best City/Place to stopover between Seattle & San Francisco
- 15 Plymouth or Cape Code/NEED help
- 16 Seattle, Portand, Hood River with kids- short notice
- 17 kauai
- 18 new england - a deer, a moose and a black bear too
- 19 San Fran & Napa 5/20/2016 - 5/25/2016
- 20 Which Island for a 3 week base over Christmas New Year?
- 21 First time to Alaska
- 22 Hawaii - where?
- 23 BBQ
- 24 Broiled Chicken and Sour Milk Biscuits in Delaware?
- 25 Anaheim - no car