Spent 5 days there after about 10-15 yrs. since last visit, so hardly an expert. Quick impressions:
-Beautiful as ever, especially in sunny May. Vistas EVERYwhere. Architectural surprises everywhere.
-New stuff all the time -- don't miss the DeYoung in Golden Gate Park, esp. view from the tower
-Old stuff is still lovely -- be it Golden Gate Park or the Presidio
-Mass transit is a model for any city. Use the visitor's center near the Powell @ Market crossroads for excellent directions, purchase of passes.
- a great restaurant city, from quick crepes and miso soup to Fisherman's wharf crabs to multi-starred classics
- a great boutique hotel city
- boutique hotels aren't cheap, even if they're plentiful. Look for discounts.
- signage in underground transit is not great, almost impossible to tell from inside a traincar what station you've stopped at.
- maintenance of some things is iffy (although they're working on some of the transit lines). For example, they seem to be arguing about whether to maintain Coit Tower. At the least, they need to cut back the overgrown view-obscuring shrubs and improve the quality of the now-trashy gift shop.
-other than City Lights, a poor bookstore city. A few indies and no Barnes and Noble -- surprising, esp. in Union Sq. area. Go out to Berkeley for books.
No earthquakes while I was there. Sometimes they don't have earthquakes (tongue-in-check icon here).
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 PANDA@ Installation renewal CONTACT ☎18006817208 PANDA Tec*h supp0rt 24/7
- 2 Moser Homes, Inc.
- 3 Skin Contour Cream (USA): Get Smooth And Soft Skin
- 4 Novel in Progress
- 5 RV road trip from CA to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
- 6 PRAY FOR THE LEG !!!
- 7 PNW & its grudge against the bumbershoot
- 8 Driving from Chicago to Sacramento
- 9 Short Oregon Trip
- 10 Hotel location Albuquerque
- 11 New offer from Southwest for California residents
- 12 Yellowstone/Glacier - a cabin with a view
- 13 Trip for 2 to Colorado need ideas.
- 14 Another JFK to Manhattan Question
- 15 Savannah or Charleston- If you had to choose.
- 16 Cruising the Cs: Canyon de Chelly, Canyonlands, and Capitol Reef
- 17 Has anyone tried Car Wiz for rentals?
- 18 Short Notice
- 19 Advice needed: first trip to Hawaii
- 20 4 days in San Francisco
- 21 LA Cali for 3 days alone, What To Do?
- 22 5 Days in Charleston and Savannah in December?
- 23 Pawley's Island, SC Favorite Restaurants?
- 24 Eating Well In Manhatten
- 25 Rental car between Providence, RI and Woodstock CT