Spent 5 days there after about 10-15 yrs. since last visit, so hardly an expert. Quick impressions:
-Beautiful as ever, especially in sunny May. Vistas EVERYwhere. Architectural surprises everywhere.
-New stuff all the time -- don't miss the DeYoung in Golden Gate Park, esp. view from the tower
-Old stuff is still lovely -- be it Golden Gate Park or the Presidio
-Mass transit is a model for any city. Use the visitor's center near the Powell @ Market crossroads for excellent directions, purchase of passes.
- a great restaurant city, from quick crepes and miso soup to Fisherman's wharf crabs to multi-starred classics
- a great boutique hotel city
- boutique hotels aren't cheap, even if they're plentiful. Look for discounts.
- signage in underground transit is not great, almost impossible to tell from inside a traincar what station you've stopped at.
- maintenance of some things is iffy (although they're working on some of the transit lines). For example, they seem to be arguing about whether to maintain Coit Tower. At the least, they need to cut back the overgrown view-obscuring shrubs and improve the quality of the now-trashy gift shop.
-other than City Lights, a poor bookstore city. A few indies and no Barnes and Noble -- surprising, esp. in Union Sq. area. Go out to Berkeley for books.
No earthquakes while I was there. Sometimes they don't have earthquakes (tongue-in-check icon here).
Quick review - San Francisco
- 1 a very short trip report of our 10 days on the Big Island
- 2 California Tour Groups?
- 3 Hotel near Public Theater
- 4 a very short, uneventful trip report of our 10 days in south Kona
- 5 US West Coast - Car or Camper
- 6 First timers in Kauai--would love advice/suggestions
- 7 Warm and don't Drive
- 8 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 9 Easter Holiday on Kauai with 10 year old daughter
- 10 Ohare Clearing Customs from VIE Sat May 24 @ 1:30pm for 3:10pm flight
- 11 Paul Rabe - A West Chester Question
- 12 PRIDE OF AMERICA
- 13 Viginia Jan 18-21st
- 14 Heard Les Miz is Returning - Production Any Good
- 15 NOLA 10th Anniv. Suggestions?
- 16 Broadway Banter: The Fall, 2013 edition
- 17 Philadelphia or Chicago
- 18 DETROIT'S BEAUTIFUL SIDE
- 19 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 20 Taking a Road trip Memphis through to Smokey Mtns.
- 21 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 22 Savanah Sojourn
- 23 What is the United Lounge like at LAX?
- 24 Our first trip to the USA: What a holiday it has been!
- 25 Old Fall River Road closed in Rocky Mountain National Park through 2014