Thanks for your help on this. We ended up getting a later start than we wanted to.
Drive from CT was uneventful and easy.
Got to the zoo around 10:15 or so. We always try to go early to avoid crowds and hope that the animals are active. We enjoyed the zoo but felt that was too much backtracking necessary to see everything. This is probably a factor of the construction of the new Polar Bear Exhibit. Most of the animals were out (aardvark had a baby in March and isn't out right now). Some of the animals were tucked in the back of their exhibits so it was tough to see them. Having just been at the Southwick Zoo in Mass, I would rate Southwick above Roger Williams due to a bigger selection of animals. Still enjoyed this zoo and spent about 3 hours here.
Drove to Bristol. My GPS had a lot of problems around Providence due to the new construction. It was sending me off the highway onto roads to get back onto the highway. Thankfully I realized that but you need to be aware of this. I am due for an update - hopefully it includes Providence. We went to Quitos and ended up eating there. Excellent food. We sat outside and each had Fish n Chips. Good price and right on the water. We left there and drove into Colt Park. Lots of people there and barely got a parking spot. We through a football around while my friend's niece flew her kite. She was really enjoying it.
Left Bristol to drive to the Pawtucket Red Sox game. Very quick drive. Got there about 2 hours before the game and the parking lot was nearly full. There was a Youth Clinic before the game. However, the parking lot is small. Anybody going to a game here should be aware of this as it is a long walk from the alternate parking spots. Got to our seats and had a hot dog / beer. Great seats. I really enjoy going to PawSox games. Good atmosphere and a cheap alternative to Fenway. PawSox won after the Chiefs made 4 straight errors in the 8th Inning.
Drove back to Hartford after the game. Uneventful drive again. Its about 1.5 hours from my house to Providence. I need to go over there more often. Driving back through Providence from Pawtucket, you can see the State House lit up and towering over that section of the city. I have driven this a lot and don't remember seeing it.
Quick Day Trip to Providence
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 2 Young Couple Needs Apartment Rental Advice in/around Orlando
- 3 New York City in April
- 4 Elephant Man Preview on Broadway with Bradley Cooper
- 5 Boston in winter?
- 6 Long Beach - alternative lodging to Queen Mary but close by
- 7 Philadelphia accommodation thoughts
- 8 Public Transportation to DC and NY from Baltimore Area
- 9 Yellowstone in the winter?
- 10 san fran sightseeing
- 11 Transportation from Seattle to Vancouver BC
- 12 Best way to spend a few hours in Greater Los Angeles?
- 13 Need beach location for summer family reunion.
- 14 Help?! I-40 or I-20 across Southeast US this week? (Construction delays?)
- 15 Baytown, Texas
- 16 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 17 Moving from VA to CT
- 18 New Orleans pictures
- 19 Colonial williamsburg Lodge at Christmas
- 20 Boston Trip to BU from Chicago (and reply to advice)
- 21 Thanksgiving in Manhattan
- 22 American Honeymoon in March
- 23 Is It Possible - One Post for MT, UT, WY in a Week?
- 24 Big Bend National Park - 3 days January itinerary?
- 25 Dining in Manhattan