I am planning two years out for our big Grand Canyon/Utah National Park trip. We are a family of five, mom, dad, three kids (ages 9,9, & 10 at time of travel).
In order to keep peace with the children (ie Balance out all of the scenic driving and looking at rocks ), we will choose to stay in hotels with pools as often as possible on our trip. I'd love any hotel recommendations at any of our stops!
Any thoughts on drive times and how long we need to get a basic feel for each National Park/stop would be appreciated!
Here is our itinerary:
Leave home, driving west, to Moab. This will take three days.
Arches and Canyonlands (We can do both of these based out of Moab, right?, How many nights?)
Monument Valley (one night?)
Grand Canyon, South Rim (one night)
Page - (2-3 nights? Half day float trip, Glen Canyon Dam, Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend)
Zion (We can bypass Las Vegas by driving from Page to Zion, correct? I saw another family did this, and I was thrilled. Nothing against Vegas, but I'd rather just stick with the National Parks) (How many nights here?)
Bryce (2 nights?)
Then, I'd like to drive from Bryce to Where? Torrey?
We can stop at Escalante, and Calf Creek Falls (?) and Capital Reef, but I have no intention of lots of time in these places, just stopping at lookouts. How long is this? A full day of driving on Rt 12?
Then, Goblin Valley and home.
Thoughts on the timing for each place? I'd say we'd do just a little bit of hiking - more lookouts and very easy and safe trails. My husband and I are in decent shape, and our kids are normal kids - healthy.
I'd love input. I know it's a bit far out time wise, but I love the planning almost as much as the traveling
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 family with 3 boys needing help for west coast itinerary
- 2 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!
- 3 Apply in 12th grade for an international student ?
- 4 Washington DC in July - hotel, and what items to book now
- 5 Sunniest place to stay in Kauai
- 6 West to East Coast in 10 days
- 7 Proposed Los Angeles itinerary, almost exclusively without a car
- 8 Breckenridge, Estes Park, and Fort Collins in May
- 9 Tour of the Grand Circle USA .HELP!
- 10 2 hours international transit in DFW airport
- 11 Need advice-Early June Oregon Coast, Columbia River Gorge, Crater Lake
- 12 las vegas, zion, bryce , grandcanyon, page (antelope canyon), sedona,
- 13 Laguna Beach Hotel
- 14 What do you think of my Yellowstone itinerary - August 2017?
- 15 Atlanta With Toddler
- 16 Metropolitan Opera - good seats?
- 17 NYC For The Day
- 18 Southwest/California NP roadtrip advice needed.
- 19 NYC opinions please! 2nt (shows & meals w/1st timer)
- 20 Senior citizens traveling as groupl
- 21 9-10 day trip to WA
- 22 Seattle and Vancouver/Victoria
- 23 Walking Safety Near Boston Common
- 24 Car rental from Baltimore airport
- 25 Turo?
Preliminary Itinerary for our Grand Circle Road Trip - Family with Kids