Been a lurker and reader on this site for a while. Great resource and thank you.
Planning a trip to Oregon for four-ish days in Mid October.
Plan is to fly in to Portland from CA late afternoon on a Thursday. Flying out of Portland that following Monday mid day.
Thinking of driving from airport to Hood River. Spending Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights in Hood River with hiking and wineries during the day on Friday and Saturday. Sunday, return to Portland and maybe catch another hike along the way but planning to spend most of Sunday and Monday morning exploring Portland: urban hiking, checking out the Japanese and Chinese gardens, maybe a museum, hip neighborhoods, etc.
We are a family of three including a six year old son. We're avid hikers, and our son can do a nine mile or so hike with some carrying by us.
We like to avoid crowds.
We want to avoid spreading ourselves too thin. We were thinking about hitting the coast too, but we live near the coast in CA and it's not exotic for us. But maybe the mouth of the Columbia River is different?
Any recommendations on this itinerary, hike suggestions, lodging, food or winery recommendations (we prefer reds, pinot noir is great).
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Oregon Coast question
- 2 Savanah GA
- 3 First Time to Seattle-Portland-Willamette Valley
- 4 Makana Charter Reviews in Kauai?
- 5 transportation from Plano TX to Norman OK
- 6 Solo Trip to Mid-West
- 7 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 8 WNY, Cleveland, and Niagara on the Lake
- 9 Florida with a 2 year old
- 10 traveling I 70 across Colorado
- 11 Get Silky Hair with Follicle RX
- 12 Day Night Sensor Auto On & Off Switch
- 13 The Christian community of parish st paul and st Antoine de padou
- 14 Automatic Night Switch sensor switch
- 15 Homestay
- 16 ASAP Help w/San Fran to San Diego 12 day road trip with young kids
- 17 California road trip
- 18 Tony’s Locksmith Inc
- 19 IS IT SAFE TO USE?
- 20 Colorado itinerary
- 21 Grand Canyon in February?? Doable?
- 22 West Virginia -the 49th state!
- 23 Tetons, Yellowstone help
- 24 Driving through Chicago area to Wisconsin
- 25 Yellowstone NP planning questions