Been a lurker and reader on this site for a while. Great resource and thank you.
Planning a trip to Oregon for four-ish days in Mid October.
Plan is to fly in to Portland from CA late afternoon on a Thursday. Flying out of Portland that following Monday mid day.
Thinking of driving from airport to Hood River. Spending Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights in Hood River with hiking and wineries during the day on Friday and Saturday. Sunday, return to Portland and maybe catch another hike along the way but planning to spend most of Sunday and Monday morning exploring Portland: urban hiking, checking out the Japanese and Chinese gardens, maybe a museum, hip neighborhoods, etc.
We are a family of three including a six year old son. We're avid hikers, and our son can do a nine mile or so hike with some carrying by us.
We like to avoid crowds.
We want to avoid spreading ourselves too thin. We were thinking about hitting the coast too, but we live near the coast in CA and it's not exotic for us. But maybe the mouth of the Columbia River is different?
Any recommendations on this itinerary, hike suggestions, lodging, food or winery recommendations (we prefer reds, pinot noir is great).
Thanks in advance.
Portland Oregon & Hood River/Columbia Gorge - ideas
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 3 weeks in USA in February -- final post before booking hotels
- 2 Is Coral Gables or Miami a shorter distance to the Everglades?
- 3 Getting to Key West
- 4 Indoor Waterpark in Wisconsin Dells ?
- 5 New Orleans Motel Question
- 6 Please help identify location in Southern California
- 7 San Francisco Italian Restaurant for 14
- 8 How the fairytale of New York can become a nightmare
- 9 Recommendations for things to do near San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina
- 10 fly fishing spring break - warm weather
- 11 Hang out, Low Key, Getaway Area?
- 12 Best non-tourist trap restaurants in South Beach
- 13 Happy Hour
- 14 Wisconsin Dells, Lake Geneva or Door county for a family vacation?
- 15 San Diego One Day Itinerary
- 16 road trip Houston-NJ
- 17 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 18 Help needed from USA experts... where to?
- 19 Philadelphia Airport Hotels with Extended Parking
- 20 Family Reunion Ideas for Maine Coast
- 21 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 22 62 Hikers airlifted out of Kalalau Trail
- 23 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 24 Any edits? San Antonio & Austin Itinerary Dec 31st-Jan 5th or 6th
- 25 The Sagamore - Winter Activities