Been a lurker and reader on this site for a while. Great resource and thank you.
Planning a trip to Oregon for four-ish days in Mid October.
Plan is to fly in to Portland from CA late afternoon on a Thursday. Flying out of Portland that following Monday mid day.
Thinking of driving from airport to Hood River. Spending Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights in Hood River with hiking and wineries during the day on Friday and Saturday. Sunday, return to Portland and maybe catch another hike along the way but planning to spend most of Sunday and Monday morning exploring Portland: urban hiking, checking out the Japanese and Chinese gardens, maybe a museum, hip neighborhoods, etc.
We are a family of three including a six year old son. We're avid hikers, and our son can do a nine mile or so hike with some carrying by us.
We like to avoid crowds.
We want to avoid spreading ourselves too thin. We were thinking about hitting the coast too, but we live near the coast in CA and it's not exotic for us. But maybe the mouth of the Columbia River is different?
Any recommendations on this itinerary, hike suggestions, lodging, food or winery recommendations (we prefer reds, pinot noir is great).
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Rental car or RV for road trip from San Francisco via Las Vegas to Denver
- 2 Alaska Trip Planning Please Help
- 3 Carmel Monterey
- 4 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 5 Travel options between Las Vegas and Grand Canyon South Rim
- 6 Big Sure in June
- 7 Quick Trip to D.C. In April
- 8 Santa Fe Itineray
- 9 Glacier, Yellowstone, Teton - Car Rental?
- 10 Northwest National Parks Tour
- 11 Where to watch Oscars in Palm Springs
- 12 Arches Devils Garden
- 13 Folly, Surfside, Carolina or Wrightsville Beach?
- 14 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 15 RV camping near Yosemite NP
- 16 Road trip to NP: from Denver to San Francisco or the other way around?
- 17 Moving to Dallas - Where to live?
- 18 best health clubs with lap pools
- 19 Where to stay 3 nights to see Yosemite from Death Valley?
- 20 Retiring to Tucson
- 21 universal studios and disney
- 22 Favourite San Francisco hotel / New things to see??
- 23 Spring Break @ Big Bend
- 24 Steelhead fishing in Kenai Alaska
- 25 Savannah hotel