Been a lurker and reader on this site for a while. Great resource and thank you.
Planning a trip to Oregon for four-ish days in Mid October.
Plan is to fly in to Portland from CA late afternoon on a Thursday. Flying out of Portland that following Monday mid day.
Thinking of driving from airport to Hood River. Spending Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights in Hood River with hiking and wineries during the day on Friday and Saturday. Sunday, return to Portland and maybe catch another hike along the way but planning to spend most of Sunday and Monday morning exploring Portland: urban hiking, checking out the Japanese and Chinese gardens, maybe a museum, hip neighborhoods, etc.
We are a family of three including a six year old son. We're avid hikers, and our son can do a nine mile or so hike with some carrying by us.
We like to avoid crowds.
We want to avoid spreading ourselves too thin. We were thinking about hitting the coast too, but we live near the coast in CA and it's not exotic for us. But maybe the mouth of the Columbia River is different?
Any recommendations on this itinerary, hike suggestions, lodging, food or winery recommendations (we prefer reds, pinot noir is great).
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Tioga Rd closed May-Oct??
- 2 Middle aged and overweight - can I hike
- 3 Vegas to Grand Canyon by car in a day
- 4 Two Seniors Visit NOLA, Cajuns and MS, Leave Wiser
- 5 Colorado Forest Die Off - How Awful Is It? Should We Visit Elsewhere?
- 6 What type of hire car for Nat Parks in UT, AZ
- 7 Inexpensive NYC Meals 2.0
- 8 Pacific Coast Highway 1st Timer
- 9 Northwest Passage
- 10 Hotel near Marlins Park
- 11 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!
- 12 All you can eat lobster in vegas and caviar
- 13 Family Colorado Road Trip
- 14 fairfeld inn or Hampton inn
- 15 Northwest Car Trip
- 16 Springfield, IL to Louisville, KY best route
- 17 Maui Bed and Breakfast
- 18 NE Itinerary - Thoughts?
- 19 Fodor's Walt Disney World 2017 travel guide
- 20 What do you think of my Yellowstone itinerary - August 2017?
- 21 ONLY 2 DAYS IN WILLIAMSBURG
- 22 North Rim, Page, Bryce & Zion Advice
- 23 Sonoma
- 24 Fodor's Travel QA Test_20170428141326
- 25 Alaska cruise