Been a lurker and reader on this site for a while. Great resource and thank you.
Planning a trip to Oregon for four-ish days in Mid October.
Plan is to fly in to Portland from CA late afternoon on a Thursday. Flying out of Portland that following Monday mid day.
Thinking of driving from airport to Hood River. Spending Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights in Hood River with hiking and wineries during the day on Friday and Saturday. Sunday, return to Portland and maybe catch another hike along the way but planning to spend most of Sunday and Monday morning exploring Portland: urban hiking, checking out the Japanese and Chinese gardens, maybe a museum, hip neighborhoods, etc.
We are a family of three including a six year old son. We're avid hikers, and our son can do a nine mile or so hike with some carrying by us.
We like to avoid crowds.
We want to avoid spreading ourselves too thin. We were thinking about hitting the coast too, but we live near the coast in CA and it's not exotic for us. But maybe the mouth of the Columbia River is different?
Any recommendations on this itinerary, hike suggestions, lodging, food or winery recommendations (we prefer reds, pinot noir is great).
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Best May/Jun Yosemite lodging areas: Yosemite West, El Portal, or Wawona?
- 2 Clear Roads From Seattle to Omaha 12-9-16?
- 3 Disappointed with Budget Car Rental Las Vegas
- 4 EWR to Midtown Manhattan
- 5 Driving from San Diego CA to Great lakes IL in FEB
- 6 17' uhaul from seattle wa to San Antonio Texas
- 7 DIA to Estes Park in mid-Feb. 4x4?
- 8 IAH to HOU Questions
- 9 Traveling into the US with Alcohol
- 10 "Unique" New York City Experiences-Yours
- 11 Last minute Keys Trip Advice Please
- 12 Jazzfest side trips
- 13 Sedona v Scottsdale?
- 14 March in New Mexico
- 15 No Spam this morning!!
- 16 San Francisco transit options
- 17 yosemite -grand canyon- bryce and zion
- 18 Ideas for New York
- 19 Best Kids' Skiing <3 hours from Chicago?
- 20 Lodging outside of Yellowstone
- 21 Road Trip from Washington DC to Asheville NC
- 22 Honeymoon Trip to California
- 23 75th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor Attack Events
- 24 Best/Cheapest way to get to Copper Mtn, CO?
- 25 Road Trip From Central PA TO CA (LA, California)