I am trying to develop an itinerary for our trip to the Grand Canyon by way of Phoenix the second week of April. Our ten year old son is losing his vision to a retinal disease, yet, still has very functional peripheral vision with which he can appreciate some sights and much adventure. We have a lengthy list of natural wonders we want him to see before his vision worsens and the Grand Canyon is next on our list.
Over the school spring break, we would like to take he and our 14 year old daughter to the area for the sights, hiking and rafting. I have done some research, but am struggling to develop an itinerary that allows us to see a great deal, yet, also is at a reasonable pace that permits enjoyment. I have crafted two potential routes, but am very open to input. We are willing to fly out of a different airport on the departure even though it's more expensive.
Below are my thoughts. Thank you so much for any insight and advice!
Itinerary with round trip from PHX
Day one (Sunday) arrive in PHX in late eve....drive to sedona for night(late arrival)
Day two : second night in Sedona (hike)
Day three: Sedona ( hike)
Day four: Drive to Grand Canyon (stay one night)
Day five: Drive to Page (stay next two nights)
Day Six : Raft on Lake Powell (stay another night)
Day Seven: Drive to Flagstaff or somewhere closer to Airport
Day Eight: Leave early from PHX
Itinerary with arrival in PHX and Departure St. George UT
Day one: Arrive late, drive to Sedona for next two nights
Day two: see and Hike Sedona
Day Three: Drive to Grand Canyon and spend night
Day four Drive to Page for two nights
Day five: Raft Lake Powell and spend night
Day Six: Drive to Bryce Canyon and Spend night
Day Sevenrive closer to St. George
Day Eight: leave from ST. George UT early in morning.
please help w/ trip for visually-impaired 10 year old to Arizona/ GC!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 From Seattle airport to the city
- 2 General Utah planning questions
- 3 ideas for roadtrip through Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado
- 4 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 5 New York City Christmas Trip
- 6 Dining in Manhattan
- 7 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 8 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 9 Cafe Sevilla – Best Tapas Restaurant
- 10 Chicago- The Godfrey hotel or the Hotel Burnham????
- 11 Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, February
- 12 Washington - North cascades trails (Goat Lake and others) okay in winter?
- 13 Colorado Skiing
- 14 American Honeymoon in March
- 15 Is It Possible - One Post for MT, UT, WY in a Week?
- 16 Craft Beer & Delicious Food in Vegas
- 17 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 18 need two stop-overs from LA to Santa Fe, NM
- 19 golf and fishing recommendations in Tampa area
- 20 Recomendations for outlets in miami and hotels in orlando
- 21 Northern West Coast Road Trip
- 22 Yellowstone in the winter?
- 23 To San Francisco for 8 days
- 24 Middle America in October
- 25 visit to HIghLine