I am trying to develop an itinerary for our trip to the Grand Canyon by way of Phoenix the second week of April. Our ten year old son is losing his vision to a retinal disease, yet, still has very functional peripheral vision with which he can appreciate some sights and much adventure. We have a lengthy list of natural wonders we want him to see before his vision worsens and the Grand Canyon is next on our list.
Over the school spring break, we would like to take he and our 14 year old daughter to the area for the sights, hiking and rafting. I have done some research, but am struggling to develop an itinerary that allows us to see a great deal, yet, also is at a reasonable pace that permits enjoyment. I have crafted two potential routes, but am very open to input. We are willing to fly out of a different airport on the departure even though it's more expensive.
Below are my thoughts. Thank you so much for any insight and advice!
Itinerary with round trip from PHX
Day one (Sunday) arrive in PHX in late eve....drive to sedona for night(late arrival)
Day two : second night in Sedona (hike)
Day three: Sedona ( hike)
Day four: Drive to Grand Canyon (stay one night)
Day five: Drive to Page (stay next two nights)
Day Six : Raft on Lake Powell (stay another night)
Day Seven: Drive to Flagstaff or somewhere closer to Airport
Day Eight: Leave early from PHX
Itinerary with arrival in PHX and Departure St. George UT
Day one: Arrive late, drive to Sedona for next two nights
Day two: see and Hike Sedona
Day Three: Drive to Grand Canyon and spend night
Day four Drive to Page for two nights
Day five: Raft Lake Powell and spend night
Day Six: Drive to Bryce Canyon and Spend night
Day Sevenrive closer to St. George
Day Eight: leave from ST. George UT early in morning.
please help w/ trip for visually-impaired 10 year old to Arizona/ GC!
- 1 Inexpensive Weekend Getaway- New England
- 2 NOLA 10th Anniv. Suggestions?
- 3 Family holiday to Hawaii - which islands?
- 4 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 5 Question about Boulder area
- 6 Easter Holiday on Kauai with 10 year old daughter
- 7 Spending a week in Palm Springs in February
- 8 Christmas Holidays in Arizona
- 9 Christmas-time in New York City? Special holiday experiences?
- 10 Viginia Jan 18-21st
- 11 Paul Rabe - A West Chester Question
- 12 Vero Beach FL
- 13 Moonstruck Patisserie - Hilo ~ wow!!
- 14 Las Vegas to Zion National Park - Fear of Heights
- 15 Sightseeing and restaurants in LA
- 16 Traveling the pacific coast highway and national parks in one week
- 17 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 18 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 19 First timers in Kauai--would love advice/suggestions
- 20 What is the United Lounge like at LAX?
- 21 visiting Arizona area for 18 days from May19th 2014
- 22 US West Coast - Car or Camper
- 23 Fort Lauderdale weather in late January
- 24 Savannah or Charleston- If you had to choose.
- 25 Hike down the Grand Canyon in February?