I am trying to develop an itinerary for our trip to the Grand Canyon by way of Phoenix the second week of April. Our ten year old son is losing his vision to a retinal disease, yet, still has very functional peripheral vision with which he can appreciate some sights and much adventure. We have a lengthy list of natural wonders we want him to see before his vision worsens and the Grand Canyon is next on our list.
Over the school spring break, we would like to take he and our 14 year old daughter to the area for the sights, hiking and rafting. I have done some research, but am struggling to develop an itinerary that allows us to see a great deal, yet, also is at a reasonable pace that permits enjoyment. I have crafted two potential routes, but am very open to input. We are willing to fly out of a different airport on the departure even though it's more expensive.
Below are my thoughts. Thank you so much for any insight and advice!
Itinerary with round trip from PHX
Day one (Sunday) arrive in PHX in late eve....drive to sedona for night(late arrival)
Day two : second night in Sedona (hike)
Day three: Sedona ( hike)
Day four: Drive to Grand Canyon (stay one night)
Day five: Drive to Page (stay next two nights)
Day Six : Raft on Lake Powell (stay another night)
Day Seven: Drive to Flagstaff or somewhere closer to Airport
Day Eight: Leave early from PHX
Itinerary with arrival in PHX and Departure St. George UT
Day one: Arrive late, drive to Sedona for next two nights
Day two: see and Hike Sedona
Day Three: Drive to Grand Canyon and spend night
Day four Drive to Page for two nights
Day five: Raft Lake Powell and spend night
Day Six: Drive to Bryce Canyon and Spend night
Day Sevenrive closer to St. George
Day Eight: leave from ST. George UT early in morning.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Martha's Vineyard with the in-laws
- 2 Trailing of the Sheep Festival
- 3 Maui hotel for 20 somethings...
- 4 Does anyone know the hotel in Maui...
- 5 Grocery Shopping in Maui - is Costco worth the stop?
- 6 Looking for suggestions for Washington state weekend getaways
- 7 Honeymoon Suggestions
- 8 My Bucket List Retirement Trip
- 9 Vegas Where to Start
- 10 Ticket to Matilda on 7/16, NYC
- 11 Need anniversary dinner in Boston
- 12 June 2015 Trip to Oregon
- 13 final plans utah/arizona trip
- 14 Yellowstone June 2014
- 15 2 months in Hawaii!
- 16 North Fork Vineyards/ Greenport Long Island trip planning
- 17 Help tweak my Colorado itinerary
- 18 NEEDED: Travel Agent for Honeymoon in Hawaii
- 19 Horseback riding in Waipio Valley
- 20 Road trip from DC to NYC--help with itinerary?
- 21 Annapolis to Boston
- 22 Road Trip
- 23 DC/MD/VA GTG in the Fall
- 24 NY to North Carolina family road trip in August
- 25 Rail from New York to Washington, D.C.
please help w/ trip for visually-impaired 10 year old to Arizona/ GC!