I live in the DC area of Maryland and am looking for a destination for next summer. We are a family traveling with a dog (so we ll be driving) and we love the outdoors and small towns. We also love history as well. I am looking for somewhere no farther than like 500-550 miles from the DC area, so somewhere on the east coast or eastern mid-west. Florida would be too far for this trip even though I want to spend some time there sometimes. Of course we can go father if we spend the night. We also usually only have a week to ten days. Ive already seen a good part of Maine including Bar Harbor, Acadia NP, Baxter SP, Moosehead Lake, and other places. I have driven through the White Mountains of New Hampshire and driven the Kamacamgas Highway, but never stayed there. Same with Vermont, I drove through there on the way home from Maine and went through Woodstock and Rutland. But, didin't get as far north as Burlington or Stowe. I have seen a good part of Upstate New York including Niagara Falls, the Finger Lakes, and the Adirondacks. But, have not yet been to the Catskills. I have driven the Massachuetts east to west through the Berkshires, but have never been to Boston or Cape Cod. Same with Rhode Island and Connecticut and I haven't been to Newport, RI yet. I have been to New York City, but not Long Island. I have been many places in Pennsylvania including Philadelphia, Gettysburg, and others, but have not been to Pittsburgh yet. I haven't been to the Pocanos either. I have also not yet been to the states of Ohio and Kentucky. I live in Maryland, so ive been everywhere here. Been to many places in West Virginia including Seneca Rocks, Fayetteville (New River Gorge), and Beckley. Have not been to Cass or Snowshoe Mountain. In Virginia, seen Shenandoah NP, Williamsburg, Charlottesville (Monticello), and other places. In North Carolina, ive seen the Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smoky Mts NP, Asheville, Blowing Rock, and the Outer Banks. I have also been to Gatlinburg,TN. And I have not yet been to Charleston, SC, Savannah,GA, or Atlanta, GA. So, places im considering are:
1. White Mountains, New Hampshire and/or Northern Vermont
2. Cape Cod, Boston, and Newport, RI.
3. Catskills and Pocanos along with the Delaware Water Gap NP
4. Ohio....Cuyahoga Valley NP? and/or the Hocking Hills?
5. Kentucky including Mammoth Cave NP, Cumberland Falls, Cumberland Gap, Red River Gorge,etc etc
6. Charleston,SC and Savannah, GA
Of these, I am tending to lean towards a beach destination, since we have been going to the mountains for the last couple years. But, im open to anything. Charleston,SC might be best for a wintertime trip and/or combined with a trip to Florida. However, Cape Cod is the only place in New England I haven't been to yet and might be a good place to go. I like the looks of the National Seashore. We also love seafood, but just worried about crowds at the beach. And I haven't been to Boston either yet. I have gone through the White Mountains several times and did see part of Vermont, but it was beautiful. I have also driven through the Catskills and Pocanos on the interstates but haven't spent time there. The Delaware Water Gap looks particularly interesting but kinda too close for a week long vacation, might be better for a weekend trip. Might could even drive through there on a trip to New England. I haven't been to Ohio yet and its pretty close to Maryland, but dosen't seem like theres a lot in the way of scenery like the Atlantic Coast or Appalachian Mountains. I have never been to Kentucky either and is kind of far, but it does have the famous Mammoth Cave and Cumberland Falls. Any other places to recommend? We would also like to find a quaint town with a good restaurant selection.
Planning next summer's trip: Where to now?
- 1 hawaii for 10 weeks
- 2 Inexpensive Weekend Getaway- New England
- 3 hotel near Met NYC
- 4 US West Coast - Car or Camper
- 5 Orlando to Salt Lake City route, end of January
- 6 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 7 Got Plans for New Year's Eve? Want to Count Down With a Giant Walleye?
- 8 Judo in California?
- 9 Hotels on Hilo side of the Big Island?
- 10 Las Vegas to Zion National Park - Fear of Heights
- 11 Christmas-time in New York City? Special holiday experiences?
- 12 Trip Report: New Orleans, Nov. 20 - 25, 2013
- 13 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 14 PRIDE OF AMERICA
- 15 Hey drivers, taking my grandmother to San Fran - lil help?!?
- 16 Madison Square Garden
- 17 Moonstruck Patisserie - Hilo ~ wow!!
- 18 Big Island Hawaii - stay in Kona AND Hilo? Also when are school holidays?
- 19 First timers in Kauai--would love advice/suggestions
- 20 Bowers Museum - Need Restaurant Suggestions Nearby
- 21 Eataly in Chicago -- Coming Soon!
- 22 Im new and need HELP to plan my Rv travel !!
- 23 Has anyone used AirBnB to find lodging?
- 24 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 25 First time to Austin-San Antonio area