I live in the DC area of Maryland and am looking for a destination for next summer. We are a family traveling with a dog (so we ll be driving) and we love the outdoors and small towns. We also love history as well. I am looking for somewhere no farther than like 500-550 miles from the DC area, so somewhere on the east coast or eastern mid-west. Florida would be too far for this trip even though I want to spend some time there sometimes. Of course we can go father if we spend the night. We also usually only have a week to ten days. Ive already seen a good part of Maine including Bar Harbor, Acadia NP, Baxter SP, Moosehead Lake, and other places. I have driven through the White Mountains of New Hampshire and driven the Kamacamgas Highway, but never stayed there. Same with Vermont, I drove through there on the way home from Maine and went through Woodstock and Rutland. But, didin't get as far north as Burlington or Stowe. I have seen a good part of Upstate New York including Niagara Falls, the Finger Lakes, and the Adirondacks. But, have not yet been to the Catskills. I have driven the Massachuetts east to west through the Berkshires, but have never been to Boston or Cape Cod. Same with Rhode Island and Connecticut and I haven't been to Newport, RI yet. I have been to New York City, but not Long Island. I have been many places in Pennsylvania including Philadelphia, Gettysburg, and others, but have not been to Pittsburgh yet. I haven't been to the Pocanos either. I have also not yet been to the states of Ohio and Kentucky. I live in Maryland, so ive been everywhere here. Been to many places in West Virginia including Seneca Rocks, Fayetteville (New River Gorge), and Beckley. Have not been to Cass or Snowshoe Mountain. In Virginia, seen Shenandoah NP, Williamsburg, Charlottesville (Monticello), and other places. In North Carolina, ive seen the Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smoky Mts NP, Asheville, Blowing Rock, and the Outer Banks. I have also been to Gatlinburg,TN. And I have not yet been to Charleston, SC, Savannah,GA, or Atlanta, GA. So, places im considering are:
1. White Mountains, New Hampshire and/or Northern Vermont
2. Cape Cod, Boston, and Newport, RI.
3. Catskills and Pocanos along with the Delaware Water Gap NP
4. Ohio....Cuyahoga Valley NP? and/or the Hocking Hills?
5. Kentucky including Mammoth Cave NP, Cumberland Falls, Cumberland Gap, Red River Gorge,etc etc
6. Charleston,SC and Savannah, GA
Of these, I am tending to lean towards a beach destination, since we have been going to the mountains for the last couple years. But, im open to anything. Charleston,SC might be best for a wintertime trip and/or combined with a trip to Florida. However, Cape Cod is the only place in New England I haven't been to yet and might be a good place to go. I like the looks of the National Seashore. We also love seafood, but just worried about crowds at the beach. And I haven't been to Boston either yet. I have gone through the White Mountains several times and did see part of Vermont, but it was beautiful. I have also driven through the Catskills and Pocanos on the interstates but haven't spent time there. The Delaware Water Gap looks particularly interesting but kinda too close for a week long vacation, might be better for a weekend trip. Might could even drive through there on a trip to New England. I haven't been to Ohio yet and its pretty close to Maryland, but dosen't seem like theres a lot in the way of scenery like the Atlantic Coast or Appalachian Mountains. I have never been to Kentucky either and is kind of far, but it does have the famous Mammoth Cave and Cumberland Falls. Any other places to recommend? We would also like to find a quaint town with a good restaurant selection.
Planning next summer's trip: Where to now?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 St Patrick's renovations
- 2 New Casual Italian/Pizza Restaurant, via Danny Meyer: MARTA
- 3 The reason for choosing Anti Aging serum Is Ok Or Not?
- 4 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 5 Escape cold in mid-Feb (4) nights from Michigan
- 6 Boston Uber shenanigans? Fake airport fees
- 7 where in 'Charleston' would you winter?
- 8 Chicago- The Godfrey hotel or the Hotel Burnham????
- 9 4 week family trip ideas
- 10 Dining in Manhattan
- 11 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 12 ideas for roadtrip through Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado
- 13 Road trip next summes...Suggestions ?
- 14 Is It Possible - One Post for MT, UT, WY in a Week?
- 15 From Seattle airport to the city
- 16 General Utah planning questions
- 17 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 18 Protecting yourself when using VRBO
- 19 Washington and Oregon Fall vacation 2015
- 20 need two stop-overs from LA to Santa Fe, NM
- 21 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 22 New York City Christmas Trip
- 23 Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, February
- 24 Washington - North cascades trails (Goat Lake and others) okay in winter?
- 25 Colorado Skiing