I live in the DC area of Maryland and am looking for a destination for next summer. We are a family traveling with a dog (so we ll be driving) and we love the outdoors and small towns. We also love history as well. I am looking for somewhere no farther than like 500-550 miles from the DC area, so somewhere on the east coast or eastern mid-west. Florida would be too far for this trip even though I want to spend some time there sometimes. Of course we can go father if we spend the night. We also usually only have a week to ten days. Ive already seen a good part of Maine including Bar Harbor, Acadia NP, Baxter SP, Moosehead Lake, and other places. I have driven through the White Mountains of New Hampshire and driven the Kamacamgas Highway, but never stayed there. Same with Vermont, I drove through there on the way home from Maine and went through Woodstock and Rutland. But, didin't get as far north as Burlington or Stowe. I have seen a good part of Upstate New York including Niagara Falls, the Finger Lakes, and the Adirondacks. But, have not yet been to the Catskills. I have driven the Massachuetts east to west through the Berkshires, but have never been to Boston or Cape Cod. Same with Rhode Island and Connecticut and I haven't been to Newport, RI yet. I have been to New York City, but not Long Island. I have been many places in Pennsylvania including Philadelphia, Gettysburg, and others, but have not been to Pittsburgh yet. I haven't been to the Pocanos either. I have also not yet been to the states of Ohio and Kentucky. I live in Maryland, so ive been everywhere here. Been to many places in West Virginia including Seneca Rocks, Fayetteville (New River Gorge), and Beckley. Have not been to Cass or Snowshoe Mountain. In Virginia, seen Shenandoah NP, Williamsburg, Charlottesville (Monticello), and other places. In North Carolina, ive seen the Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smoky Mts NP, Asheville, Blowing Rock, and the Outer Banks. I have also been to Gatlinburg,TN. And I have not yet been to Charleston, SC, Savannah,GA, or Atlanta, GA. So, places im considering are:
1. White Mountains, New Hampshire and/or Northern Vermont
2. Cape Cod, Boston, and Newport, RI.
3. Catskills and Pocanos along with the Delaware Water Gap NP
4. Ohio....Cuyahoga Valley NP? and/or the Hocking Hills?
5. Kentucky including Mammoth Cave NP, Cumberland Falls, Cumberland Gap, Red River Gorge,etc etc
6. Charleston,SC and Savannah, GA
Of these, I am tending to lean towards a beach destination, since we have been going to the mountains for the last couple years. But, im open to anything. Charleston,SC might be best for a wintertime trip and/or combined with a trip to Florida. However, Cape Cod is the only place in New England I haven't been to yet and might be a good place to go. I like the looks of the National Seashore. We also love seafood, but just worried about crowds at the beach. And I haven't been to Boston either yet. I have gone through the White Mountains several times and did see part of Vermont, but it was beautiful. I have also driven through the Catskills and Pocanos on the interstates but haven't spent time there. The Delaware Water Gap looks particularly interesting but kinda too close for a week long vacation, might be better for a weekend trip. Might could even drive through there on a trip to New England. I haven't been to Ohio yet and its pretty close to Maryland, but dosen't seem like theres a lot in the way of scenery like the Atlantic Coast or Appalachian Mountains. I have never been to Kentucky either and is kind of far, but it does have the famous Mammoth Cave and Cumberland Falls. Any other places to recommend? We would also like to find a quaint town with a good restaurant selection.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 1.5 Days in Boston with 3 little ones
- 2 Napili in Maui with toddlers?
- 3 Where to stay to visit Glacier National Park
- 4 Towing a camper trailer during January
- 5 Travelling from NYC to Washington Depot
- 6 Are you sick from Alaskan tour?
- 7 May 2016 Trip to the Big Island
- 8 Any off site car rental agencies around JFK?
- 9 First Trip to New Mexico
- 10 JFK TO MANHATTEN
- 11 NYC Airport transport (well, Newark)
- 12 My Avis/kona rental experience
- 13 10 Year Anniversary Dinner in NYC
- 14 Need advise sightseeing Seattle - Pendleton - Twin Falls - Yellowstone
- 15 San Antonio shopping
- 16 Which island for R&R?
- 17 Montana dude ranch recommendation
- 18 blue ridge parkway?
- 19 Scenic road trip northeast Pennsylvania to Charlotte
- 20 Cross country road trip to the east coast- here we go...
- 21 Warning: Recent increase in violent crime in New Orleans' French Quarter
- 22 Pls help keep dolphins happy & healthy
- 23 San Diego, mission valley
- 24 California trip .. some guidance needed
- 25 Road Trip/Excursions for a weekend outside of Denver