My wife and I will be in Texas for ten days in May and were originally planning to spend the time within a 3 or 4 hour radius of Austin.
She recently sprung on me the idea of traveling 8 hours into the panhandle to see Palo Duro Canyon. (she's an art fan and this is apparently where Georgia O'Keefe got some of her inspiration)
Looking at a map, the region from Austin to the canyon looks pretty desolate. I don't mind driving especially when there is new scenery but a 16 hour round trip through a sparsely populated region of Texas has me a bit worried.
Is the canyon worth it? Are there things to do along the drive? Is it nice countryside or is it a little bleak? Thanks for any and all input.
Palo Duro Canyon
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 NEW YORK CITY!!!
- 2 Trip Report: An Intoxicating Birthday Day-Trip in Napa
- 3 Heading to Maine in September - Where are the moose?
- 4 Need help with Yellowstone and area starting in SLC
- 5 Alaska trip -Labor Day weekend
- 6 Mesa Verde
- 7 Hiking Arches or Canyonlands National Park in fall?
- 8 LA via Death Valley, Grand Canyon to Vegas
- 9 Is Fox Rent A Car any good?
- 10 A tour of an Amish Community near Midland MI
- 11 Vail or Aspen in summertime?
- 12 Half Moon Bay, CA - stay there or go to Napa Valley?
- 13 Amtrak Train from California to Oregon or Washington
- 14 LUNCH IN ORLANDO, FL
- 15 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
- 16 December Break Need Recommendations for Southern Travel
- 17 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 18 Bath County, VA - anyone ever been?
- 19 ONP help
- 20 NYC Clubs for live music
- 21 Trip to the Adirondacks
- 22 No accomodation in Hana...should we forget about it?
- 23 Beachfront house rental - Fort Walton Beach/ Destin area
- 24 Seattle Hyatts
- 25 Detroit area getaway - outside of the city