My wife and I will be in Texas for ten days in May and were originally planning to spend the time within a 3 or 4 hour radius of Austin.
She recently sprung on me the idea of traveling 8 hours into the panhandle to see Palo Duro Canyon. (she's an art fan and this is apparently where Georgia O'Keefe got some of her inspiration)
Looking at a map, the region from Austin to the canyon looks pretty desolate. I don't mind driving especially when there is new scenery but a 16 hour round trip through a sparsely populated region of Texas has me a bit worried.
Is the canyon worth it? Are there things to do along the drive? Is it nice countryside or is it a little bleak? Thanks for any and all input.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Breast Cancer Car Donations Phoenix, AZ
- 2 a short trip to san francisco
- 3 Traveling to CO, worried about altitude sickness!
- 4 Best route to tour most of Michigan-Help!
- 5 Summer in Michigan
- 6 Naples/ Fort Myers
- 7 10-14 daycar fr. Monterey, CA to Jackson WY. Help - towns / Nat'l Parks
- 8 Glacier National Park
- 9 Big Island and Kauai questions
- 10 South east road trip
- 11 New England Road Trip Itinerary
- 12 Huntington Beach to Yosemite
- 13 6 days ABQ to Moab,4 Corners, Mesa Verde doable?
- 14 How much in 7 days on West Coast?
- 15 Where to stay for three nights after Volcanoes National Park
- 16 Scenic vistas along the road the big island Hawaii
- 17 sight seeing Las Vegas to Palm Springs to Sante Fe
- 18 Where's best place to stay near volcano big island besides volcano house?
- 19 Any Sanibel experts?
- 20 Oregon Trip March 2017
- 21 Later Winter around Mobile
- 22 Rafting the Colorado
- 23 CAJUN region, plus NEW ORLEANS
- 24 Florida keys trip
- 25 USA Trip in 4 Weeks