I'm new to the forum. We're considering an epic road trip with a two kids (7.5 and 3.5). Our current plan has us leaving San Diego (SAN) to San Luis Obispo (SLO) by train, then onward to San Francisco (SFO) for a day or two, then Redwoods for at least a night, then Portland area, then Seattle, then Coeur d'Alene, Boise, then finally ending up in either Idaho Falls or SLC at which point we'll stay a few days and then fly back home to DC. Ideally there would be some camping and kid-friendly hiking involved as well.
I'm starting to think we're crazy.
Alternative scenarios have us cutting out the SAN and SLO portions of the trip (which would mean we wouldn't see some family members) and just start in SFO. Another alternative would be to start in Idaho Falls/SLC area and do a loop (crossing over northern Nevada then up from SFO per the original itin (this loop logs just a bit more travel time than the original itin). A third itin has us going from SAN up the coast to Portland and then going straight over to ID/SLC and then back down to SAN.
Some considerations are the cost of a one-way car rental, the carseats which make the trip more miserable for the kids, and the fact that the longest roadtrip our kids have taken in recent memory was a 6.5 hour drive to a destination with a return three days later.
We ultimately have up to 3 weeks to do this trip; as I mentioned the original plan had us in SAN and SLC/ID for about 4-5 days each (visiting family) with the road trip in between. We'll likely be back out in SAN for Christmas so the pressure isn't as much to go there this summer.
Thoughts? Have any of you done something similar? What are the must-sees for kids? Hubs could honestly care less about the cities and is more interested in nature (he's never been north of Sacramento nor NW of Idaho Falls) and I've been to SFO, Portland, and Seattle but I would love to show the kids Pike's Market, Pier 39. I've never been north of SFO in California.
Lastly, a tangentially related question about carseats for a 7.5 year old--legally required? What if the child is the height of the average 10 year old?
Pacific Northwest in 10-21 days with young kids?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Broken Bow, Oklahoma in the Fall
- 2 Alexandria or Georgetown
- 3 Where to stay with kids in Nashville
- 4 Spring Has Officially Sprung in Central Park
- 5 3 Days in Denver area- want to hike and bike, stay in Boulder or Denver?
- 6 Santa Fe advice needed (40th anniversary)
- 7 Boston/Fenway park
- 8 Boutique Hotels - NYC
- 9 An overnight stay in NYC to see 2 shows
- 10 Searching For The Rhythm Of Florida
- 11 Atlanta with kids
- 12 Any nice Family Camps near Lake Winnepesauki?
- 13 VRBO/Airbnb rental status in San Francisco
- 14 Downtown Denver restaurant recommendation, please~
- 15 Hardly Strictly Bluegrass
- 16 New York City Taking First Steps Against Air BnB Members
- 17 Which NYC subway should I take?
- 18 New York City Restaurants
- 19 Cabaret seating at Studio 54 - huh?
- 20 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 21 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 22 East Coast road trip from Boston to Washington DC
- 23 Family Camp in Maine
- 24 San Diego
- 25 Suggestions for road trip with children from Birmingham, AL to Grand Canyon