We just returned from a five day stay in DC. We stayed at the Fairmont, which is a great hotel choice. The rooms were above average and the service was impeccable. It was a 5 minute walk to the Foggy Bottom/GWU metro stop. One downfall was the fact that there were no restaurants outside hotel fare in the immediate area. We either had to walk to the Georgetown area or walk/metro it to the Dupont Circle area. If you plan to do the museums/monuments, try to get as many advanced tickets as possible. There were security waits at all museums plus a ticket requirement for the holocaust, spy museum, washington monument, etc.. You can get tickets in advance by looking at the respective websites. There is a small service charge but it is worth the guarantee to get to see the site. Also, do the tourmobile if possible. Things look like they are in close proximity but this is deceiving. With on/off priveleges it is worth the cost not to have to walk miles and miles. Plan out which restaurants you might like to try in each area and take a list with addresses. It will make it easier to narrow down choices and their locations. There are many restaurant sites on the net to get info.
Overview of trip to DC/ Fairmont Hotel
- 1 Washington DC - Philadelphia - New York extravaganza
- 2 A visit to Fallingwater and places nearby
- 3 Best places to stop New Orleans to Los Angeles
- 4 Using public transit in San Diego
- 5 Can Foodies Overcome the Flu in Honolulu? A March 2013 Oahu TR...
- 6 10 days after cruise - Fort Lauderdale Fly out from LA?????
- 7 What to do with extra day in Virginia?
- 8 1st time in Boston --need advice
- 9 Help finalizing August itinerary for Utah NPs (with a child)
- 10 Southern Utah and GC Trip Cont.- Itinerary Help
- 11 Seattle restaurants in Queen Anne neighborhood?
- 12 San Francisco - one semi-splurge restaurant?
- 13 Seattle Hotel Choice and Other Questions
- 14 First-time to NYC Trip Report as promised!
- 15 D.C. in a day
- 16 New Orleans trip (plus road trip) Help Pls!
- 17 Luggage stolen from locked rental car in Orlando
- 18 Yellowstone Snow Melt, Roads and Trails - Timing
- 19 Finally, seeing the Outer Banks
- 20 Need help with itinerary to Seattle, Oregon, California
- 21 San Fran, Napa, Palo Alto, Carmel advice
- 22 Rocks and Roads in Utah
- 23 2 Brits Travelling USA July-Aug 2013
- 24 Stay between San Francisco and Redwoods?
- 25 Memphis Tours