My partner and I are headed to Oregon for 7 days in August and I'm stuck trying to decide whether to include the Mt. Hood / Columbia River Gorge area in our itinerary or not. Thus far the plan is that we'll be spending three nights based in Cannon Beach, to explore the northern Coast, then we have 2 nights unspoken for, followed by 2 nights in Portland to end the trip. I'm debating between giving the 2 nights in the middle to either the Yachats/Florence area OR Mount Hood. I'm leaning towards more time on the coast simply because we live quite near the Canadian Rockies (Jasper and Banff) and so I wonder whether Mount Hood will just be more mountains (albeit beautiful), whereas the coast is something we don't have locally and so would feel more unique, at least to us. Am I overlooking something truly amazing by choosing to skip Mount Hood? Is more time on the coast a good idea? In terms of our interests I think both would be great (we enjoy hiking, taking drives, quaint little towns etc) but I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are on this debate. All opinions are much appreciated
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Our explorations of the Hudson Valley & Catskills
- 2 Pix from Paradise (the Big Island, Kauai & Maui)
- 3 Hudson Valley Drive Suggestions
- 4 Fun family adventures in/around Charleston?
- 5 NYC Suggestions - Six Week Trip…?
- 6 Finding the right moving company. (Calgary to Seattle!)
- 7 Farewell from Ira
- 8 Overnight tour from New York to see Washington, D.C.
- 9 Long weekend in New Orleans
- 10 Oklahoma - Dallas - Houston - New Orleans - Orlando
- 11 Coronado, La Jolla, or Other?
- 12 Cape Cod - around Sandwich
- 13 Driving San Antonio to Galveston--how to avoid Houston
- 14 Historial/Culture-filled restaurants in Savannah, and Atlanta!
- 15 Need a corporate sedan in JFK
- 16 Family vacation itinerary pointers
- 17 chicago to hibbing
- 18 The Manhattan Project - The Maitais Return To The Big Apple
- 19 Where to stay in Missoula?
- 20 2 months road trip out west - need one way renting mini RV
- 21 Recommendations for birthday Sunday brunch near but outside Boston
- 22 Pacific coast road trip
- 23 Springfield, Massachusetts and I-91 : Surprisingly Awesome
- 24 Restaurants in San Francisco and Napa/Sonoma Valley
- 25 Arlington Hotels