My partner and I are headed to Oregon for 7 days in August and I'm stuck trying to decide whether to include the Mt. Hood / Columbia River Gorge area in our itinerary or not. Thus far the plan is that we'll be spending three nights based in Cannon Beach, to explore the northern Coast, then we have 2 nights unspoken for, followed by 2 nights in Portland to end the trip. I'm debating between giving the 2 nights in the middle to either the Yachats/Florence area OR Mount Hood. I'm leaning towards more time on the coast simply because we live quite near the Canadian Rockies (Jasper and Banff) and so I wonder whether Mount Hood will just be more mountains (albeit beautiful), whereas the coast is something we don't have locally and so would feel more unique, at least to us. Am I overlooking something truly amazing by choosing to skip Mount Hood? Is more time on the coast a good idea? In terms of our interests I think both would be great (we enjoy hiking, taking drives, quaint little towns etc) but I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are on this debate. All opinions are much appreciated
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Suggestions for Sedona and Grand Canyon
- 2 New England Tour
- 3 50th Anniversary ocean stay with luxuries?
- 4 Botanical gardens on Maui, Hilo, and Kauai: how much do they differ?
- 5 sf Chinatown restaurant
- 6 City of Seattle: What we might miss and the kick ourselves later
- 7 Downtown Denver hotel
- 8 Hotel location Albuquerque
- 9 When will Key West be recovered from Irma?
- 10 Great Lakes extended road trip
- 11 San Diego with teens in Februsry
- 12 Olympic National Park (3-4 Days)
- 13 Los Angeles Area Restaurants - 2017 Edition
- 14 Philadelphia Traffic Help
- 15 San Diego VRBO area
- 16 Queen Anne or Belltown Hotel
- 17 Glacier National Park 2018
- 18 Muir Woods in October
- 19 2 Grannies, 2 parents & 1 three-yr-old
- 20 Alaska 19 day itinerary - comments/opinions, please?
- 21 Chicago - Memphis - NO - Anaheim (train/plane and taxi)
- 22 Southbound lanes at San Ysidro Border Crossing close for 57 hrs.
- 23 Disneyland Grand Californian
- 24 Overnight stay along Newburyport/Rockport train line
- 25 Colorado Shows Off