Hello. We are going to rent a car for a day and drive the "Circle Island Drive" while in Oahu in December. Not sure how to plan this. The guidebook recommends 2 scenic highways through the middle of the island, Pali highway and H-3. It looks like we can start out counter clockwise around the island and after the North Shore beaches turn onto 99 and head for Waikiki, but take a detour after Pearl Harbor area to take scenic H-3 and then hook up with Pali Highway, stopping at the Pali lookout and then go on to Waikiki. Is this detour worth it scenically at the end of a long day? Alternatively we can take Pali Highway to the Pali Lookout early in the day when we get near Kailua, then return to Kailua to continue our drive around the island, and skip H-3 completely. Any suggestions on which might be better, whether H-3 is worth it, and what do you think the travel time would be from Kailua to Pali Lookout, and the travel time in the detour H-3 to Pali Highway? Thanks.
Oahu Circle island drive and Pali Lookout
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Here's how I spent my 3 hour layover in Washington, DC
- 2 Restaurants in Charleston, SC
- 3 NYC theatre broadway
- 4 Alaska
- 5 San Diego grocery stores
- 6 San Diego parks and attractions
- 7 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 8 Chain of Craters Road safe with Infants
- 9 Grand Circle Trip report, Arizona and Utah
- 10 Most affordable Wineries in Northern California near Napa?
- 11 First family ski trip
- 12 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 13 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 14 Looking for Destination Ideas
- 15 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 16 Chigo O'Hare layover
- 17 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 18 Other places like Chautauqua Institution
- 19 What to do in Pawley's Island in Early March?
- 20 Anchorage Sheraton Hotel and Spa
- 21 Visiting Denver
- 22 Visiting Denver
- 23 Planning family gathering in Sedona
- 24 Commute from Kailua Kona to Hilo - doable?
- 25 Laguna Beach, what to do