Hello. We are going to rent a car for a day and drive the "Circle Island Drive" while in Oahu in December. Not sure how to plan this. The guidebook recommends 2 scenic highways through the middle of the island, Pali highway and H-3. It looks like we can start out counter clockwise around the island and after the North Shore beaches turn onto 99 and head for Waikiki, but take a detour after Pearl Harbor area to take scenic H-3 and then hook up with Pali Highway, stopping at the Pali lookout and then go on to Waikiki. Is this detour worth it scenically at the end of a long day? Alternatively we can take Pali Highway to the Pali Lookout early in the day when we get near Kailua, then return to Kailua to continue our drive around the island, and skip H-3 completely. Any suggestions on which might be better, whether H-3 is worth it, and what do you think the travel time would be from Kailua to Pali Lookout, and the travel time in the detour H-3 to Pali Highway? Thanks.
Oahu Circle island drive and Pali Lookout
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Booking Lodging at the Grand Canyon
- 2 NYC becoming a battleground for Air BnB apartment rentals
- 3 Grand Teton & Yellowstone & ???
- 4 Weather in Hawaii in January
- 5 Three or Four Nights in Moab?
- 6 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 7 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 8 Utah mid Sept Trip Report, Zion, Bryce, Arches- beautiful!
- 9 Looking for good moonstone beach hotels in cambria
- 10 Breckenridge in October
- 11 East Coast to West Coast travel route
- 12 Family Trip to Moab - Flying into SLC
- 13 Richmond highlights?
- 14 Best City on the Gulf Coast to live?
- 15 "HUMORLESS" response to Kauai comment silliness
- 16 Central Park Fall Foliage
- 17 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 18 Pet Friendly places in Myrtle Beach
- 19 I am "The Prince of Tides"
- 20 Things to do in and around Westbrook, CT in November 2014
- 21 New York accommodation - apartment for family needed (winter)
- 22 Washington DC in Spring?
- 23 Quick advice needed for 1st visit to HNL & Kauai
- 24 montana vs ft nelson bc area
- 25 Must Eats