Hello. We are going to rent a car for a day and drive the "Circle Island Drive" while in Oahu in December. Not sure how to plan this. The guidebook recommends 2 scenic highways through the middle of the island, Pali highway and H-3. It looks like we can start out counter clockwise around the island and after the North Shore beaches turn onto 99 and head for Waikiki, but take a detour after Pearl Harbor area to take scenic H-3 and then hook up with Pali Highway, stopping at the Pali lookout and then go on to Waikiki. Is this detour worth it scenically at the end of a long day? Alternatively we can take Pali Highway to the Pali Lookout early in the day when we get near Kailua, then return to Kailua to continue our drive around the island, and skip H-3 completely. Any suggestions on which might be better, whether H-3 is worth it, and what do you think the travel time would be from Kailua to Pali Lookout, and the travel time in the detour H-3 to Pali Highway? Thanks.
Oahu Circle island drive and Pali Lookout
View all United States activity »
- 1 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 2 How to safely transport a newborn baby in downtown Chicago without your own car?
- 3 Staying at the Omni in downtown austin. Anywhere to park cheaper?
- 4 Wailea Maui Restaurants
- 5 Disney Florida - Which parks to go for 1.5 days?
- 6 Traveling the U.S. by car for a long time!
- 7 RIP Judy Rogers
- 8 Fun restaurants in New Orleans
- 9 Road trip across the USA - looking for suggestions.
- 10 Boston area
- 11 Savanah Sojourn
- 12 10 day Hawaii Vacations
- 13 2nd visit to California wine country, recommendations needed.
- 14 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 15 Maybe a trip to NYC will make my 16 year old think Mom's okay
- 16 South Lake Tahoe (end of December 2013)
- 17 The impossible dream: Bypassing I-95 between DC and Richmond
- 18 Hollywood with 17yr old son
- 19 UK passport to travel from US to Thailand
- 20 Any additions to my general plan for 2 night stay in Jacksonville (no car)?
- 21 dog friendly hotels websites--any others than bringfido.com?
- 22 Creating restaurant list for San Francisco - new ones??
- 23 Seniors need help with itinerary for grandkids!
- 24 Warm and don't Drive
- 25 Train from Boston to Rockport?