Hello. We are going to rent a car for a day and drive the "Circle Island Drive" while in Oahu in December. Not sure how to plan this. The guidebook recommends 2 scenic highways through the middle of the island, Pali highway and H-3. It looks like we can start out counter clockwise around the island and after the North Shore beaches turn onto 99 and head for Waikiki, but take a detour after Pearl Harbor area to take scenic H-3 and then hook up with Pali Highway, stopping at the Pali lookout and then go on to Waikiki. Is this detour worth it scenically at the end of a long day? Alternatively we can take Pali Highway to the Pali Lookout early in the day when we get near Kailua, then return to Kailua to continue our drive around the island, and skip H-3 completely. Any suggestions on which might be better, whether H-3 is worth it, and what do you think the travel time would be from Kailua to Pali Lookout, and the travel time in the detour H-3 to Pali Highway? Thanks.
Oahu Circle island drive and Pali Lookout
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hotel - Caesars Palace OR Signature @ MGM
- 2 Boston area -- nature
- 3 A Student’s Perspective of Philadelphia and Washington DC:
- 4 Dont rent a car from Buchbinder car rental if you go Europe
- 5 New York city--best time to visit??
- 6 Which hotel - Washington Hilton OR Cambria Suites
- 7 California & French Polynesia
- 8 New Orleans November 2014- Trip Report
- 9 Chicago- The Godfrey hotel or the Hotel Burnham????
- 10 ideas for roadtrip through Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado
- 11 Hotel advice needed near Palo Alto
- 12 Hiking Arches or Canyonlands National Park in fall?
- 13 General Utah planning questions
- 14 Fun weekend in NYC, including a GTG
- 15 Naples-where to stay on the beach
- 16 Maui Luau?
- 17 Recomendations for outlets in miami and hotels in orlando
- 18 American Honeymoon in March
- 19 Vegetarian Friendly BBQ - Fort Worth or San Antonio?
- 20 Carmel (and Monterey) weekend with a 4 year old
- 21 Boston Uber shenanigans? Fake airport fees
- 22 Protecting yourself when using VRBO
- 23 4 week family trip ideas
- 24 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 25 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)