NY Trip Report- Fodor’s 100 Winner
Ever wonder what it would be like to take a trip planned by real travel pros? My daughter and I recently returned from a four night stay in NY courtesy of Fodor’s.
You may have remembered a contest that ran during September 2012. Foderites could enter by submitting a hotel review. I submitted a review of the Atlanta Ritz Carlton where we had spent a night during the Labor Day Weekend. It was a fluke that we booked that hotel.
The review that I submitted for the contest is below:
They make great customer service look easy.
My famiy had their hearts set on attending the DragonCon parade. It was the same weekend in Atlanta as several major sports events. The whole city was booked up for twelve miles out. Low and behold the Ritz Carlton was available with Marriott points. It was directly on the parade route and blocks from the convention center.
Despite paying with points we were treated as royalty. We were offered bottled water or champagne at check in. There were cookies and custom M&Ms in the lobby. I was delighted that even though they were totally full, they honored our request for connecting rooms. The kids loved the I-pod dock and dimmable lights. My 13 year old tried on one of the fluffy white robes. My husband was amazed when he went to get ice and found the ice bucket had already been filled. (How did they do that?). I liked the plush bed and the fact that despite being filled with hundreds of sports fans and Klingon warriors the hotel was quiet.
It gets better. They gave us a 3 p.m checkout so we could enjoy ourselves and not rush. I want to go back. I don't know if I should buy lottery tickets or try to earn more Marriott points.
by palmettoprincess, 9/13/12
I have to admit, I thought that I would win. The entry deadline was my birthday which was a good omen. That being said I was still shocked to see the email from Fodor’s.
The dates of the trip were set for November At that time the hotel was still a secret. All I had to do was to select my travel companion. My husband was my first choice, but I knew it would be hard for both of us to get away during the school year. I thought of my college-aged daughter. She is studying graphic design and would love to meet the Fodor’s staff.
I had about month to plan the trip but for some reason I didn’t jump into my usual trip planning mod. I looked at getting tickets for plays but never hit “buy.” I tried on cocktail dresses for the Fodor’s 100 launch party, but didn’t find a favorite.
Of course I read the Fodor’s 2013 NY Guide from cover-to-cover but there was something off with my planning.
Sandy hit. I was dismayed at the devastation. Even those who were spared the wind and water struggled with power outages and gasoline shortages. I still wanted to go to New York but I didn’t want my first visit to the city to be under those conditions.
Fodor’s cancelled the Fodor’s 100 award ceremony because the event venue was damaged. They graciously allowed us to reschedule for my daughter’s spring break.
To Be Continued
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 60th birthday trip to Vermont, NH, Maine in October
- 2 Samsonite Silhouette 7 repair part
- 3 Newport Historic District - where is it? Walking tour?
- 4 1st trip to DC - for 2 nights
- 5 Steamboat in August
- 6 California Summer weather/ clothing
- 7 Transportation from downtown Miami to Ft. Lauderdale airport
- 8 Discount Broadway Show Tickets webistes
- 9 Napa Valley Hotel
- 10 Road trip from Boston to Florida
- 11 Movies to put you in the mood for a western road trip
- 12 Do you have suggestions on my first roadtrip South-West USA?
- 13 Need Advice For Trip with 16year old son-
- 14 The city never sleeps, but we needed to
- 15 The Great Debate, What is Worth Precious Money and Time in NYC
- 16 Christmas Napa Valley
- 17 Island of Oahu: looking for cheap accommodation
- 18 Southwest charging USD15/ for early bird check in
- 19 Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe to Riverside, CA
- 20 Your favourite places in New York City
- 21 Phone SIM
- 22 3 days in NYC with my Grandma!
- 23 Las vegas +21
- 24 1st Visit to USA with kids in Jul-Aug, SFO,LA,SD & LAS - 21 days. Need Help
- 25 Zion NP & Las Vegas with Kids for 3 days in July - Please Help
NY Trip Report- Fodor’s 100 Winner