I'm thinking of taking a road trip from NYC to the Outer Banks (Ocracoke ultimately). I have 4 days and 3 nights.
I'm mostly after scenery and cool/interesting towns and places to visit along the way. I've never been to that part of the country so pretty much anything is fair game!
Should I take the Cape May - Lewes ferry or go around it? Is that pretty exciting or meh?
I'm thinking of driving along the coast on the way there and then going through Richmond/DC/Baltimore/Philly on the way back to make things more interesting -- is that a good idea?
What would be a good choice for midway points to stay the night, in both directions? By looking at the map I was thinking Lewes on the way there and then perhaps Richmond/DC coming back, but I'd actually prefer something off the beaten path.
Any other ideas on where to stop/sleep on either way?
thank you for any and all input!
PS. I'd be leaving next week! (fri, sat, sun, and back on monday evening)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Ideas for New York
- 2 [SNF] Panthers vs Seahawks Live Stream NFL Week 13
- 3 Road trip from Madison, WI to Portland, OR in April, 2017
- 4 Help us choose a hotel
- 5 Lodging outside of Yellowstone
- 6 Honeymoon on PCH
- 7 Christmas shopping in Sante Fe
- 8 Magic Show
- 9 So if you had one night in SF, where would you eat?
- 10 Best/Cheapest way to get to Copper Mtn, CO?
- 11 Suggestions for a Week in Portland
- 12 2 Nights Dealth Valley from L.A.
- 13 Best Kids' Skiing <3 hours from Chicago?
- 14 "Unique" New York City Experiences-Yours
- 15 Family trip - West Coast - Summer 2017
- 16 My quickie roadtrip to Philly - art, photos, food, and some good karma.
- 17 Grand Canyon / Bryce / Zion in August with Teens
- 18 Staying outside DC
- 19 Bringing alcohol into the US
- 20 Santa Fe & Taos for Christmas week: feedback on itinerary?
- 21 Seafood restaurant in San Francisco - recommendations
- 22 Bringin Wine in by car from Mexico
- 23 Oahu Dec 17th -22nd 2016
- 24 Hollywood Area where to stay
- 25 Kauai for a group over New Years