I'm thinking of taking a road trip from NYC to the Outer Banks (Ocracoke ultimately). I have 4 days and 3 nights.
I'm mostly after scenery and cool/interesting towns and places to visit along the way. I've never been to that part of the country so pretty much anything is fair game!
Should I take the Cape May - Lewes ferry or go around it? Is that pretty exciting or meh?
I'm thinking of driving along the coast on the way there and then going through Richmond/DC/Baltimore/Philly on the way back to make things more interesting -- is that a good idea?
What would be a good choice for midway points to stay the night, in both directions? By looking at the map I was thinking Lewes on the way there and then perhaps Richmond/DC coming back, but I'd actually prefer something off the beaten path.
Any other ideas on where to stop/sleep on either way?
thank you for any and all input!
PS. I'd be leaving next week! (fri, sat, sun, and back on monday evening)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Diego on New Year's Eve
- 2 car rentals in San Diego
- 3 Suggestions for summer vacation near lake with dog
- 4 Southern Utah - Need Hotel Reservations Last Week Of April?
- 5 Angels Landing
- 6 California & Arizona Itinerary
- 7 Denver/Breckenridge/Summit County
- 8 Grieving Widow wants escape from Christmas
- 9 Driving to Yellowstone,Grand Teton and Glacier from MN
- 10 First time visit to California
- 11 Dependable Airport Hotel Shuttlebus
- 12 How many days recommended for Williamsburg stay?
- 13 San Diego Family Reunion Planning
- 14 Is it Appropriate for Grandmother to Sing to Bar Mitzvah Boy?
- 15 NY State Assembly Internship
- 16 What should a foreigner know about the US?
- 17 Room Service @ Disney Hotel
- 18 Touring Hearst Castle
- 19 East coast & Thanksgiving in Pennsylvania
- 20 Waikoloa restaurants?
- 21 How can the weather report be so wrong?
- 22 San Francisco
- 23 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 24 California road trip - oneway or round trip
- 25 Seattle/Vancouver in July