I'm thinking of taking a road trip from NYC to the Outer Banks (Ocracoke ultimately). I have 4 days and 3 nights.
I'm mostly after scenery and cool/interesting towns and places to visit along the way. I've never been to that part of the country so pretty much anything is fair game!
Should I take the Cape May - Lewes ferry or go around it? Is that pretty exciting or meh?
I'm thinking of driving along the coast on the way there and then going through Richmond/DC/Baltimore/Philly on the way back to make things more interesting -- is that a good idea?
What would be a good choice for midway points to stay the night, in both directions? By looking at the map I was thinking Lewes on the way there and then perhaps Richmond/DC coming back, but I'd actually prefer something off the beaten path.
Any other ideas on where to stop/sleep on either way?
thank you for any and all input!
PS. I'd be leaving next week! (fri, sat, sun, and back on monday evening)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Las Vegas Vacation
- 2 Warmth in December without Zika??
- 3 LA! Active, FUN couple - area to stay/itenerary
- 4 HOROSCOPE ZODIAC SIGNS DATES
- 5 Advertising Sublets in NYC Now Illegal - Air BnB Has Pulled Listings
- 6 DC restaurant report
- 7 Eastern California Winter Roadtrip
- 8 Travel in Houston and surrounding area
- 9 Trip Report: San Francisco, Monterey, Wine Country
- 10 The famous SF -> Seattle road trip
- 11 Washington DC Trip in December with Small Children
- 12 Northern California Redwoods
- 13 2016/17 Ski Season Opens
- 14 Southwestern Virginia Ideas?
- 15 Smoky Mountains Honeymoon
- 16 East Tennesee to mohonk.
- 17 Neue Galerie
- 18 SF with school-age kids -- too much to choose!
- 19 Thoughts on our Palm Springs Plans
- 20 Polynesian Cultural Centre
- 21 Philadelphia - Safe?
- 22 Arizona in winter
- 23 SF-Yosemite-Monterey Peninsula
- 24 NYC bus tour suggestions
- 25 Arizona in late January