I'm thinking of taking a road trip from NYC to the Outer Banks (Ocracoke ultimately). I have 4 days and 3 nights.
I'm mostly after scenery and cool/interesting towns and places to visit along the way. I've never been to that part of the country so pretty much anything is fair game!
Should I take the Cape May - Lewes ferry or go around it? Is that pretty exciting or meh?
I'm thinking of driving along the coast on the way there and then going through Richmond/DC/Baltimore/Philly on the way back to make things more interesting -- is that a good idea?
What would be a good choice for midway points to stay the night, in both directions? By looking at the map I was thinking Lewes on the way there and then perhaps Richmond/DC coming back, but I'd actually prefer something off the beaten path.
Any other ideas on where to stop/sleep on either way?
thank you for any and all input!
PS. I'd be leaving next week! (fri, sat, sun, and back on monday evening)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Post-Alaska cruise ideas July, 2018
- 2 train from NYC to Philadelphia
- 3 911 Museum
- 4 Kaihalulu Beach/Red Sand Beach - Maui, Hawaii
- 5 yeah or nay grand canyon in dec/jan
- 6 Bar Harbor, Maine
- 7 Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon in June 2018
- 8 Airbnb and Santa Fe/Where to Stay
- 9 TSA Security Question
- 10 Utah too much crammed into 9 days, help please
- 11 Washington - what should we see between Seattle and Cashmere?
- 12 hotel in NYC
- 13 3 day wine detour through the Willamette Valley
- 14 Crab restaurants near Silver Springs MD
- 15 Austin TX restaurants
- 16 Zion, Bryce, South/North Rim, Page
- 17 Denver to Mesa Verde National Park
- 18 Hotel in Austin
- 19 California: San Fran to San Diego
- 20 New York on the Super Cheap, May 2017
- 21 San Diego Marriott Coronado Island or Marriott Marquis downtown?
- 22 HotAirBalloon Festival
- 23 Coors Field Security for Zac Brown
- 24 A week in Ohau - what to do?
- 25 New/Different in Kennebunkport?