I'm thinking of taking a road trip from NYC to the Outer Banks (Ocracoke ultimately). I have 4 days and 3 nights.
I'm mostly after scenery and cool/interesting towns and places to visit along the way. I've never been to that part of the country so pretty much anything is fair game!
Should I take the Cape May - Lewes ferry or go around it? Is that pretty exciting or meh?
I'm thinking of driving along the coast on the way there and then going through Richmond/DC/Baltimore/Philly on the way back to make things more interesting -- is that a good idea?
What would be a good choice for midway points to stay the night, in both directions? By looking at the map I was thinking Lewes on the way there and then perhaps Richmond/DC coming back, but I'd actually prefer something off the beaten path.
Any other ideas on where to stop/sleep on either way?
thank you for any and all input!
PS. I'd be leaving next week! (fri, sat, sun, and back on monday evening)
NYC to Outer Banks and back in four days.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 WHY are rental cars in December in Florida so expensive?
- 2 Flying from LA to Massachusetts
- 3 New York City and New England
- 4 The East Coast adventure: December 2014
- 5 advice on possible employment in GA or NC rural areas
- 6 NYT article on exploring Los Angeles without a car
- 7 Please help identify location in Southern California
- 8 Zion, Bryce, Page, GC South Rim, and Arches
- 9 62 Hikers airlifted out of Kalalau Trail
- 10 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 11 San Francisco with 7 kids ages 5-14
- 12 3 weeks in USA in February -- final post before booking hotels
- 13 August 2015 Western Roadtrip Route? 30 days...Two 22-year-old Girls
- 14 Utah-Arizona National Parks intinary help needed
- 15 Last Minute NYE Trip to DC - Fancy Tea? Other special ideas...Wanted
- 16 After Chigago ? side trips- suggestions
- 17 Need help planning weekend trips: Georgia, Chicago, Tennessee, Alaska?!
- 18 Quick Austin weekend itinerary review
- 19 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 20 Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Banff in May or early Sept.?
- 21 Best Destination in USA
- 22 Rules of the Sidewalk
- 23 Road trip March from Atlanta
- 24 Nashville - Weekend Trip
- 25 Dinner stop between Boston and Bradley Airport in CT (Windsor)