I'm thinking of taking a road trip from NYC to the Outer Banks (Ocracoke ultimately). I have 4 days and 3 nights.
I'm mostly after scenery and cool/interesting towns and places to visit along the way. I've never been to that part of the country so pretty much anything is fair game!
Should I take the Cape May - Lewes ferry or go around it? Is that pretty exciting or meh?
I'm thinking of driving along the coast on the way there and then going through Richmond/DC/Baltimore/Philly on the way back to make things more interesting -- is that a good idea?
What would be a good choice for midway points to stay the night, in both directions? By looking at the map I was thinking Lewes on the way there and then perhaps Richmond/DC coming back, but I'd actually prefer something off the beaten path.
Any other ideas on where to stop/sleep on either way?
thank you for any and all input!
PS. I'd be leaving next week! (fri, sat, sun, and back on monday evening)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Midway to U of Chicago
- 2 9 am - 5pm layover LAX - what to do?
- 3 Alaska Itinerary - Suggestions & Comments Please
- 4 Route Planning for East USA
- 5 6 full days in Colorado Itinerary Ideas
- 6 California Coast Road-Trip Must-Sees
- 7 Help PLS Philli or Boston
- 8 NYC - 10 Nights - Itinerary Feedback
- 9 Family spring break destinations on the N.E. coast
- 10 DC Cherry Blossoms 2017
- 11 Summer trip
- 12 Where to Stay in Philly in April?
- 13 Road trip to NP: from Denver to San Francisco or the other way around?
- 14 How many states have you been to?
- 15 Moving to Dallas - Where to live?
- 16 My quickie roadtrip to Philly - art, photos, food, and some good karma.
- 17 Jersey shore town recommendation for July 4th weeekend
- 18 Where to stay in Glacier NP
- 19 Alaska in First Week of Sept
- 20 family road trip from SF to Portland to Seattle
- 21 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 22 San Diego to Vancouver in 14 Days
- 23 Pacific Northwest with daughters
- 24 Gros Ventre campsite availability mid Sept
- 25 Florida keys trip