I'm thinking of taking a road trip from NYC to the Outer Banks (Ocracoke ultimately). I have 4 days and 3 nights.
I'm mostly after scenery and cool/interesting towns and places to visit along the way. I've never been to that part of the country so pretty much anything is fair game!
Should I take the Cape May - Lewes ferry or go around it? Is that pretty exciting or meh?
I'm thinking of driving along the coast on the way there and then going through Richmond/DC/Baltimore/Philly on the way back to make things more interesting -- is that a good idea?
What would be a good choice for midway points to stay the night, in both directions? By looking at the map I was thinking Lewes on the way there and then perhaps Richmond/DC coming back, but I'd actually prefer something off the beaten path.
Any other ideas on where to stop/sleep on either way?
thank you for any and all input!
PS. I'd be leaving next week! (fri, sat, sun, and back on monday evening)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Farewell from Ira
- 2 Overnight tour from New York to see Washington, D.C.
- 3 Driving San Antonio to Galveston--how to avoid Houston
- 4 Oklahoma - Dallas - Houston - New Orleans - Orlando
- 5 chicago to hibbing
- 6 Long weekend in New Orleans
- 7 NYC Suggestions - Six Week Trip…?
- 8 Return from Bradenton FL back to New Haven CT
- 9 2 months road trip out west - need one way renting mini RV
- 10 Our explorations of the Hudson Valley & Catskills
- 11 Pix from Paradise (the Big Island, Kauai & Maui)
- 12 Hudson Valley Drive Suggestions
- 13 Fun family adventures in/around Charleston?
- 14 Finding the right moving company. (Calgary to Seattle!)
- 15 Coronado, La Jolla, or Other?
- 16 Cape Cod - around Sandwich
- 17 Historial/Culture-filled restaurants in Savannah, and Atlanta!
- 18 Need a corporate sedan in JFK
- 19 Family vacation itinerary pointers
- 20 The Manhattan Project - The Maitais Return To The Big Apple
- 21 Where to stay in Missoula?
- 22 Recommendations for birthday Sunday brunch near but outside Boston
- 23 Pacific coast road trip
- 24 Springfield, Massachusetts and I-91 : Surprisingly Awesome
- 25 Restaurants in San Francisco and Napa/Sonoma Valley