I'm an Australian who is spending the month of December in the USA this year. We have family in San Diego and Baltimore but my 7yr old son and I will be doing a 3-4 day trip up to New York City. Never been to New York before but eager to check out some highlights. I'm a bit nervy in big cities and I guess NY is about as big as it gets, but I don't want this ruining our time there. I figured we would take day trips to check out the sights. I would greatly appreciated any advice you could give. I have put below our interests and likes....
* would love to see Christmas lights/ activities
* not a boat person
* love the idea of a horse-drawn carriage ride
* quite the foodie!!!
* have always wanted to see Hershey Chocolate Factory and Amish Community - is this a possibility from NYC?
* son has poor muscle tone so tires easily with a lot of walking
* would love a chance for my son to see snow
* bit scared to explore the city by myself
* we will be coming in and out via Amtrak
Also, have NO IDEA what area to look at staying. Budget is very limited - $200US per night. Looking for somewhere where tour companies would collect from. Don't need fancy, but clean and safe.
Thanks in advance for your advice!
NYC for timid Mom + child
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 2 weeks in FL, Savannah and Charleston
- 2 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 3 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 4 Quick advice needed for 1st visit to HNL & Kauai
- 5 Weather in Hawaii in January
- 6 NYC becoming a battleground for Air BnB apartment rentals
- 7 Weekend in NYC
- 8 I am "The Prince of Tides"
- 9 Antelope Canyon, Best Friends, Bryce, Zion trip report
- 10 Kanab and Page with Kids Trip Report
- 11 Looking for good moonstone beach hotels in cambria
- 12 Booking Lodging at the Grand Canyon
- 13 Tennessee Alabama Louisiana
- 14 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 15 Grand Teton & Yellowstone & ???
- 16 Three or Four Nights in Moab?
- 17 Utah mid Sept Trip Report, Zion, Bryce, Arches- beautiful!
- 18 Breckenridge in October
- 19 East Coast to West Coast travel route
- 20 Family Trip to Moab - Flying into SLC
- 21 Richmond highlights?
- 22 Best City on the Gulf Coast to live?
- 23 "HUMORLESS" response to Kauai comment silliness
- 24 Central Park Fall Foliage
- 25 Pet Friendly places in Myrtle Beach