I'm an Australian who is spending the month of December in the USA this year. We have family in San Diego and Baltimore but my 7yr old son and I will be doing a 3-4 day trip up to New York City. Never been to New York before but eager to check out some highlights. I'm a bit nervy in big cities and I guess NY is about as big as it gets, but I don't want this ruining our time there. I figured we would take day trips to check out the sights. I would greatly appreciated any advice you could give. I have put below our interests and likes....
* would love to see Christmas lights/ activities
* not a boat person
* love the idea of a horse-drawn carriage ride
* quite the foodie!!!
* have always wanted to see Hershey Chocolate Factory and Amish Community - is this a possibility from NYC?
* son has poor muscle tone so tires easily with a lot of walking
* would love a chance for my son to see snow
* bit scared to explore the city by myself
* we will be coming in and out via Amtrak
Also, have NO IDEA what area to look at staying. Budget is very limited - $200US per night. Looking for somewhere where tour companies would collect from. Don't need fancy, but clean and safe.
Thanks in advance for your advice!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 New York City to New Orleans Itinerary
- 2 GRAND CIRCLE 1 week RV/Campervan
- 3 Broadway show tickets
- 4 route tips Ashland OR to Durango, Pasgosa Springs
- 5 Best restaurant in Little Italy?
- 6 A stop between St Louis and Little Rock
- 7 Yellowstone and...what park would you do?
- 8 Hawk's
- 9 Camping Sites in and around NY
- 10 Suggestion for 4 day hotel in Miami
- 11 bad traffic on 476 in PA memorial day weekend
- 12 Another question about hawaii
- 13 BYOB in New York City
- 14 Getting to Oneonta or Delhi, NY
- 15 Carmel- Tickle Pink
- 16 Where to visit driving through coast of Maine
- 17 Travel from Juneau to Sitka or Skagway
- 18 Late winter road trip Deep South
- 19 Quick trip to New Mexico
- 20 Key West, FL
- 21 Mauna Kea with Children?
- 22 2 day trip covering Grand Canyon and Antelope canyon starting from Phoenix
- 23 Who offers multi-island guided birding trips in Hawaii?
- 24 2 1/2 days in Mesa Verde, Santa Fe, Taos
- 25 Hiking and biking hotel options