I'm an Australian who is spending the month of December in the USA this year. We have family in San Diego and Baltimore but my 7yr old son and I will be doing a 3-4 day trip up to New York City. Never been to New York before but eager to check out some highlights. I'm a bit nervy in big cities and I guess NY is about as big as it gets, but I don't want this ruining our time there. I figured we would take day trips to check out the sights. I would greatly appreciated any advice you could give. I have put below our interests and likes....
* would love to see Christmas lights/ activities
* not a boat person
* love the idea of a horse-drawn carriage ride
* quite the foodie!!!
* have always wanted to see Hershey Chocolate Factory and Amish Community - is this a possibility from NYC?
* son has poor muscle tone so tires easily with a lot of walking
* would love a chance for my son to see snow
* bit scared to explore the city by myself
* we will be coming in and out via Amtrak
Also, have NO IDEA what area to look at staying. Budget is very limited - $200US per night. Looking for somewhere where tour companies would collect from. Don't need fancy, but clean and safe.
Thanks in advance for your advice!
NYC for timid Mom + child
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Downtown Denver restaurant recommendation, please~
- 2 Hardly Strictly Bluegrass
- 3 New York City Taking First Steps Against Air BnB Members
- 4 Boston/Fenway park
- 5 3 Days in Denver area- want to hike and bike, stay in Boulder or Denver?
- 6 Atlanta with kids
- 7 Which NYC subway should I take?
- 8 Any nice Family Camps near Lake Winnepesauki?
- 9 Where to stay with kids in Nashville
- 10 New York City Restaurants
- 11 Searching For The Rhythm Of Florida
- 12 Cabaret seating at Studio 54 - huh?
- 13 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 14 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 15 Alexandria or Georgetown
- 16 East Coast road trip from Boston to Washington DC
- 17 Spring Has Officially Sprung in Central Park
- 18 Family Camp in Maine
- 19 San Diego
- 20 Suggestions for road trip with children from Birmingham, AL to Grand Canyon
- 21 2 Days in Portland - Best of?
- 22 Timeshare Nightmares
- 23 Santa Fe advice needed (40th anniversary)
- 24 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 25 Best Glacier viewing (by boat) from Seward or Whittier