I'm an Australian who is spending the month of December in the USA this year. We have family in San Diego and Baltimore but my 7yr old son and I will be doing a 3-4 day trip up to New York City. Never been to New York before but eager to check out some highlights. I'm a bit nervy in big cities and I guess NY is about as big as it gets, but I don't want this ruining our time there. I figured we would take day trips to check out the sights. I would greatly appreciated any advice you could give. I have put below our interests and likes....
* would love to see Christmas lights/ activities
* not a boat person
* love the idea of a horse-drawn carriage ride
* quite the foodie!!!
* have always wanted to see Hershey Chocolate Factory and Amish Community - is this a possibility from NYC?
* son has poor muscle tone so tires easily with a lot of walking
* would love a chance for my son to see snow
* bit scared to explore the city by myself
* we will be coming in and out via Amtrak
Also, have NO IDEA what area to look at staying. Budget is very limited - $200US per night. Looking for somewhere where tour companies would collect from. Don't need fancy, but clean and safe.
Thanks in advance for your advice!
NYC for timid Mom + child
- 1 Best City in FL for truck driving jobs
- 2 SF Activities
- 3 GF in Russia on a river cruise
- 4 Advice on where to stay in Boston
- 5 Christmas in NYC 2014
- 6 Snowmass Next week
- 7 Cinderella or Annie -- on Broadway
- 8 Good food or pizza in midtown Manhattan
- 9 West Coast Road Trip
- 10 Yountville Restaurant Help
- 11 Road trip from NYC to Las Vegas ( via New Orleans, TX) in 11 days
- 12 First timers in Kauai--would love advice/suggestions
- 13 Uber Car service
- 14 Aspen Snowmass 2012
- 15 Aspen/Snowmass questions
- 16 San Diego or Hawaii
- 17 NYC to Florida drive....seeking advice on stops in Va, NC, SC
- 18 Sightseeing and restaurants in LA
- 19 7 days Road Trip Help. Really need advice
- 20 Dog off leash areas No. Hwy 1 & Healdsburg Area
- 21 Tampa area and North
- 22 SARASOTA
- 23 Season greetings
- 24 San Antonio
- 25 Need help ASAP!