I'm an Australian who is spending the month of December in the USA this year. We have family in San Diego and Baltimore but my 7yr old son and I will be doing a 3-4 day trip up to New York City. Never been to New York before but eager to check out some highlights. I'm a bit nervy in big cities and I guess NY is about as big as it gets, but I don't want this ruining our time there. I figured we would take day trips to check out the sights. I would greatly appreciated any advice you could give. I have put below our interests and likes....
* would love to see Christmas lights/ activities
* not a boat person
* love the idea of a horse-drawn carriage ride
* quite the foodie!!!
* have always wanted to see Hershey Chocolate Factory and Amish Community - is this a possibility from NYC?
* son has poor muscle tone so tires easily with a lot of walking
* would love a chance for my son to see snow
* bit scared to explore the city by myself
* we will be coming in and out via Amtrak
Also, have NO IDEA what area to look at staying. Budget is very limited - $200US per night. Looking for somewhere where tour companies would collect from. Don't need fancy, but clean and safe.
Thanks in advance for your advice!
NYC for timid Mom + child
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Bob Denver... Where are you?
- 2 Why are hotels in San Francisco sooooo expensive 10/11-10/14/14
- 3 Panama City beach or other suggestion
- 4 San Francisco - mid October
- 5 New York City Taking First Steps Against Air BnB Members
- 6 Apartment Rentals DC
- 7 100 Reason to Love New Mexico
- 8 John Denver - Rocky Mountain High
- 9 Zion to Albuquerque
- 10 NEW YORK CITY!!!
- 11 Narrowing things down for DC and Virginia
- 12 Stay in Santa Fe or Taos, NM
- 13 Best, most beautiful, unmissable sections of highway 1 on the CA coast
- 14 Vegas hotels for families
- 15 Round trip from Chicago
- 16 Something to do besides drink wine in Sonoma.
- 17 Sonoma: Jack London State Historic Park
- 18 Sonoma and Napa Wine Country - How bad is it after the quake?
- 19 Tour companies
- 20 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 21 Los Abrigados Sedona Arizona
- 22 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour
- 23 Quick Trip to NYC
- 24 Need advise : Driving to Sequoia then to Las Vegas
- 25 3 weeks in Florida-Sarasota and Everglades recommendations needed