Travel period: early/mid Feb 2014
Travel Plans: flying into SFO initially (11 Feb), need to get to DC by Sat 15 Feb, need to finish up in Williamsburg, VA by 16/17 Feb.
Travel budget: modest.
Method of transport: Happy to fly and drive. Don't want really long days in car as I'm travelling solo and don't want to get over-tired.
I am wary about long travel days given I will be travelling in Winter time.
I'm coming from NZ and attending a quilting event in Williamsburg in mid-Feb. I also have a DC based friend I would like to see on-route.
Being a quilter, lover of natural landscapes and curious about different lifestyles; the Amish community has fascinated me for years.
I'm wondering whether I could use this short trip to observe Amish life and get closer to Amish quilting.
I have read several pages of Amish threads and have considered the merits of Lancaster-surrounding areas. I did toy with flying to Ohio to see Amish there and then driving to DC but am a bit put off by the drive time.
Fodorites, if you have any suggestions for:
- how to observe some Amish quilting and glimpse the Amish lifestyle
- how to see a little of the area without getting too bogged down in tourist traps.
- where to base myself for accommodation.
I would love to hear your thoughts,
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Road Trip From IA to Niagara Falls
- 2 Atlanta Airport
- 3 Badlands, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, etc. 2016 trip - Need suggestions
- 4 Help with first time
- 5 Thousand Islands - Must Dos
- 6 San Francisco Itinerary help
- 7 San Francisco to Monterey Bay Time?
- 8 Crowd levels in Pigeon Forge/Sevierville
- 9 Best Fly-fishing in July
- 10 New York City never gets Old! A long "Christmasy" weekend.
- 11 Lodge at Torrey Pines or Hilton Torrey Pines?
- 12 Discounted Rental Car?
- 13 2-day pass through trip in Glacier & Waterton National Park
- 14 A day at Franconia Notch State Park and White Mountain National Forest
- 15 Boston thru New Hampshire to Quebec City
- 16 Colorado Winter Wedding Venue
- 17 Best City/Place to stopover between Seattle & San Francisco
- 18 SW Colorado and Moab, UT
- 19 Chicago, Illinois: Where to stay? Do you need a car?
- 20 Would appreciate help choosing NYC hotel for Aug/Sept visit.
- 21 Cape Cod in September with toddler
- 22 BYOB in New York City
- 23 1st Visit to USA with kids in Jul-Aug, SFO,LA,SD & LAS - 21 days. Need Help
- 24 Alaska cruise round trip from Seattle - need a passport?
- 25 Inexpensive family getaways