Travel period: early/mid Feb 2014
Travel Plans: flying into SFO initially (11 Feb), need to get to DC by Sat 15 Feb, need to finish up in Williamsburg, VA by 16/17 Feb.
Travel budget: modest.
Method of transport: Happy to fly and drive. Don't want really long days in car as I'm travelling solo and don't want to get over-tired.
I am wary about long travel days given I will be travelling in Winter time.
I'm coming from NZ and attending a quilting event in Williamsburg in mid-Feb. I also have a DC based friend I would like to see on-route.
Being a quilter, lover of natural landscapes and curious about different lifestyles; the Amish community has fascinated me for years.
I'm wondering whether I could use this short trip to observe Amish life and get closer to Amish quilting.
I have read several pages of Amish threads and have considered the merits of Lancaster-surrounding areas. I did toy with flying to Ohio to see Amish there and then driving to DC but am a bit put off by the drive time.
Fodorites, if you have any suggestions for:
- how to observe some Amish quilting and glimpse the Amish lifestyle
- how to see a little of the area without getting too bogged down in tourist traps.
- where to base myself for accommodation.
I would love to hear your thoughts,
Thanks in advance.
Not another Amish thread - help out a quilt lover please
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 2 Book ahead for weekends this spring in Asheville, NC
- 3 My Boston weekend...killing time near MGH
- 4 San Diego Itinerary-- Suggestions???
- 5 Should we stop for a Saturday night in Baltimore?
- 6 Kennedy Space Center
- 7 Jersey City Parking
- 8 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 9 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 10 Colorado Trip in Late May 2014
- 11 What to see/do in Baltimore without a car?
- 12 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 13 Metro from airport to hotel?
- 14 Audio Driving Tour Big Island and Oahu
- 15 Asheville NC without a car
- 16 Albuquerque Recommendations
- 17 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 18 RIP Rizzoli, J&R Music, Pearl Paint
- 19 Myrtle Beach
- 20 9 Day Trip to Yosemite, Oregon and Washington State
- 21 2 weeks in FL, Savannah and Charleston
- 22 Colorado in the summer!
- 23 Place for a drink where kids are allowed? An NYC question.
- 24 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 25 AK-Glacier Bay, Wrangel Elias, Lake Clark, Matanuska glacier, Valdez?