Travel period: early/mid Feb 2014
Travel Plans: flying into SFO initially (11 Feb), need to get to DC by Sat 15 Feb, need to finish up in Williamsburg, VA by 16/17 Feb.
Travel budget: modest.
Method of transport: Happy to fly and drive. Don't want really long days in car as I'm travelling solo and don't want to get over-tired.
I am wary about long travel days given I will be travelling in Winter time.
I'm coming from NZ and attending a quilting event in Williamsburg in mid-Feb. I also have a DC based friend I would like to see on-route.
Being a quilter, lover of natural landscapes and curious about different lifestyles; the Amish community has fascinated me for years.
I'm wondering whether I could use this short trip to observe Amish life and get closer to Amish quilting.
I have read several pages of Amish threads and have considered the merits of Lancaster-surrounding areas. I did toy with flying to Ohio to see Amish there and then driving to DC but am a bit put off by the drive time.
Fodorites, if you have any suggestions for:
- how to observe some Amish quilting and glimpse the Amish lifestyle
- how to see a little of the area without getting too bogged down in tourist traps.
- where to base myself for accommodation.
I would love to hear your thoughts,
Thanks in advance.
Not another Amish thread - help out a quilt lover please
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Vegas to Grand Canyon, Bryce and/or Zion Dilemmma!
- 2 Another California/Utah/Arizona Road Trip...Itinerary Comments?
- 3 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 4 Los Abrigados Sedona Arizona
- 5 Two 64 year old buddies on A week trip
- 6 Alexandria, VA Marriott Residence Inn et al
- 7 Denver 1 day in denver
- 8 San Francisco-Coventry Inn??
- 9 Vegas Hotels-NY,NY, MIrage, Vdara
- 10 Roundtop Texas Lodging
- 11 Zion NP - Grand Canyon North Rim - Las Vegas
- 12 Burlington VT day trip
- 13 Scouting trip for possible move to SoCal -- advice on itin, please
- 14 Santa Barbara Itinerary Help Needed
- 15 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour
- 16 A weekend in Boston area with Friends (including 2 teenagers)
- 17 Hiking, Horses, Having fun: Family Adventure in Yellowstone & Grand Teton
- 18 Need help planning trip to Atlanta, Alabama and then New Orleans
- 19 San Francisco - mid October
- 20 Part Three of an 18 Day RV trip - Seward
- 21 Vegas hotels for families
- 22 Keeping Hip-Chic At Bay: Seattle and A Couple Points South
- 23 Kayaking to Chinaman Hat/Kaneohe Bay Sandbar/offshore Islands in Dec?
- 24 Westin Portland Harborview or Residence Inn ... another downtown hotel?
- 25 Which cross-country route, I-40 or I-80?