Travel period: early/mid Feb 2014
Travel Plans: flying into SFO initially (11 Feb), need to get to DC by Sat 15 Feb, need to finish up in Williamsburg, VA by 16/17 Feb.
Travel budget: modest.
Method of transport: Happy to fly and drive. Don't want really long days in car as I'm travelling solo and don't want to get over-tired.
I am wary about long travel days given I will be travelling in Winter time.
I'm coming from NZ and attending a quilting event in Williamsburg in mid-Feb. I also have a DC based friend I would like to see on-route.
Being a quilter, lover of natural landscapes and curious about different lifestyles; the Amish community has fascinated me for years.
I'm wondering whether I could use this short trip to observe Amish life and get closer to Amish quilting.
I have read several pages of Amish threads and have considered the merits of Lancaster-surrounding areas. I did toy with flying to Ohio to see Amish there and then driving to DC but am a bit put off by the drive time.
Fodorites, if you have any suggestions for:
- how to observe some Amish quilting and glimpse the Amish lifestyle
- how to see a little of the area without getting too bogged down in tourist traps.
- where to base myself for accommodation.
I would love to hear your thoughts,
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Death Valley
- 2 Utah/Vegas road trip - directions
- 3 Birmingham, Alabama in December
- 4 How can I buy a condo for cheap in florida?
- 5 What is a good city to live in in Florida.
- 6 Washington State Anniversary Weekend Getaway
- 7 Santa Monica / Venice Beach flat or house for a week
- 8 Nashville 2016
- 9 Family vacation itinerary pointers
- 10 4 days in Colorado in December with kids
- 11 Family Trip- 4 Nights- DC & Richmond
- 12 Burlingame, CA restaurants?
- 13 Thanksgiving in New Orleans and Tulane Visit
- 14 Waikoloa restaurants?
- 15 Colorado - Photography
- 16 Seattle, WA, USA/Victoria, B.C., Canada
- 17 Oregon or Arizona for October 12 long weekend?
- 18 Fall trip, is it a good time?
- 19 Where to stay in NYC
- 20 Where to advertise Air tickets selling?
- 21 Myrtle Beach, N.C.
- 22 motorcycle ride
- 23 Hotel Monaco
- 24 NYC: (Mostly) Solo, and (Mostly) No Top Tens!
- 25 New Orleans weekend, plus a shout out to Sandra Bullock