Travel period: early/mid Feb 2014
Travel Plans: flying into SFO initially (11 Feb), need to get to DC by Sat 15 Feb, need to finish up in Williamsburg, VA by 16/17 Feb.
Travel budget: modest.
Method of transport: Happy to fly and drive. Don't want really long days in car as I'm travelling solo and don't want to get over-tired.
I am wary about long travel days given I will be travelling in Winter time.
I'm coming from NZ and attending a quilting event in Williamsburg in mid-Feb. I also have a DC based friend I would like to see on-route.
Being a quilter, lover of natural landscapes and curious about different lifestyles; the Amish community has fascinated me for years.
I'm wondering whether I could use this short trip to observe Amish life and get closer to Amish quilting.
I have read several pages of Amish threads and have considered the merits of Lancaster-surrounding areas. I did toy with flying to Ohio to see Amish there and then driving to DC but am a bit put off by the drive time.
Fodorites, if you have any suggestions for:
- how to observe some Amish quilting and glimpse the Amish lifestyle
- how to see a little of the area without getting too bogged down in tourist traps.
- where to base myself for accommodation.
I would love to hear your thoughts,
Thanks in advance.
Not another Amish thread - help out a quilt lover please
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hotel advice needed near Palo Alto
- 2 Hiking Arches or Canyonlands National Park in fall?
- 3 Hotel - Caesars Palace OR Signature @ MGM
- 4 A Student’s Perspective of Philadelphia and Washington DC:
- 5 General Utah planning questions
- 6 New York city--best time to visit??
- 7 Which hotel - Washington Hilton OR Cambria Suites
- 8 Chicago- The Godfrey hotel or the Hotel Burnham????
- 9 Fun weekend in NYC, including a GTG
- 10 Naples-where to stay on the beach
- 11 Maui Luau?
- 12 Recomendations for outlets in miami and hotels in orlando
- 13 American Honeymoon in March
- 14 Vegetarian Friendly BBQ - Fort Worth or San Antonio?
- 15 California & French Polynesia
- 16 Carmel (and Monterey) weekend with a 4 year old
- 17 Boston Uber shenanigans? Fake airport fees
- 18 Protecting yourself when using VRBO
- 19 4 week family trip ideas
- 20 Boston area -- nature
- 21 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 22 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 23 where in 'Charleston' would you winter?
- 24 Metro or cab from Delancey St to Penn Station?
- 25 SFO black friday traffic