Travel period: early/mid Feb 2014
Travel Plans: flying into SFO initially (11 Feb), need to get to DC by Sat 15 Feb, need to finish up in Williamsburg, VA by 16/17 Feb.
Travel budget: modest.
Method of transport: Happy to fly and drive. Don't want really long days in car as I'm travelling solo and don't want to get over-tired.
I am wary about long travel days given I will be travelling in Winter time.
I'm coming from NZ and attending a quilting event in Williamsburg in mid-Feb. I also have a DC based friend I would like to see on-route.
Being a quilter, lover of natural landscapes and curious about different lifestyles; the Amish community has fascinated me for years.
I'm wondering whether I could use this short trip to observe Amish life and get closer to Amish quilting.
I have read several pages of Amish threads and have considered the merits of Lancaster-surrounding areas. I did toy with flying to Ohio to see Amish there and then driving to DC but am a bit put off by the drive time.
Fodorites, if you have any suggestions for:
- how to observe some Amish quilting and glimpse the Amish lifestyle
- how to see a little of the area without getting too bogged down in tourist traps.
- where to base myself for accommodation.
I would love to hear your thoughts,
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 san fransisco to crater lake
- 2 http://www.healthcarebooster.com/forever-bust/
- 3 Reagan Library
- 4 http://www.crazybulkblog.com/alpha-tren-reviews/
- 5 Family reunion ideas
- 6 http://nuvieskincareserum.com/raw-power-xl/
- 7 Need advice - Charleston girls' weekend
- 8 http://www.supplementadvise.com/cla-safflower-oil/
- 9 http://gomusclebuilding.com/muscle-xtx/
- 10 http://musclebuildingbuy.com/forever-bust/
- 11 http://rhinorx90eveningblog.com/cerebrrin/
- 12 Need help with National Parks trip in 2017
- 13 Hawaii - What 2 Islands? Maui, HI or Honolulu
- 14 Where to Spend Two Weeks in Florida in February
- 15 Itinerary Help Needed
- 16 Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion itinerary
- 17 Southern history- walkable cities
- 18 Red Rocks Amphitheater places to stay
- 19 Ice cream Cape Cod
- 20 Glacier-Banaff-Jasper NPs Car Rental
- 21 Disneyworld from a west coast perspective
- 22 Scenic mountain views near Spokane
- 23 US Open Tennis
- 24 where do the locals eat in Portland, Maine
- 25 Hawaii with limited time