Travel period: early/mid Feb 2014
Travel Plans: flying into SFO initially (11 Feb), need to get to DC by Sat 15 Feb, need to finish up in Williamsburg, VA by 16/17 Feb.
Travel budget: modest.
Method of transport: Happy to fly and drive. Don't want really long days in car as I'm travelling solo and don't want to get over-tired.
I am wary about long travel days given I will be travelling in Winter time.
I'm coming from NZ and attending a quilting event in Williamsburg in mid-Feb. I also have a DC based friend I would like to see on-route.
Being a quilter, lover of natural landscapes and curious about different lifestyles; the Amish community has fascinated me for years.
I'm wondering whether I could use this short trip to observe Amish life and get closer to Amish quilting.
I have read several pages of Amish threads and have considered the merits of Lancaster-surrounding areas. I did toy with flying to Ohio to see Amish there and then driving to DC but am a bit put off by the drive time.
Fodorites, if you have any suggestions for:
- how to observe some Amish quilting and glimpse the Amish lifestyle
- how to see a little of the area without getting too bogged down in tourist traps.
- where to base myself for accommodation.
I would love to hear your thoughts,
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Uber Ride from LV to South Rim, Grand Canyon?
- 2 2 1/2 days in Mesa Verde, Santa Fe, Taos
- 3 Visiting New York State
- 4 pulling a tent trailer in utah
- 5 Bryce Canyon Astronomy Festival
- 6 Scenic / Walking Day Trip from Las Vegas
- 7 philly to fredericksburg sat of memorial day wknd - bad idea?
- 8 DC area hotel for end of June...
- 9 Around New Orleans
- 10 Nashville restaurants
- 11 Who offers multi-island guided birding trips in Hawaii?
- 12 Lines for Shakespeare in the park tickets
- 13 Yosemite and surrounding for WINTER 2017: DO NEED HELP!
- 14 MO road trip itinerary
- 15 Early 30's Couple Spending Two Weeks in Coastal Maine and Canada
- 16 Thanksgiving Road trip California
- 17 Great eats Portland, Seattle, Vancouver
- 18 Your thoughts on Brooklyn Heights
- 19 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour
- 20 Late winter road trip Deep South
- 21 Day Trip from Chicago Suburbs with Kids
- 22 Resturants salslito
- 23 San Francisco to Costa Mesa
- 24 Travelling from New York to JFK
- 25 Empire Sate: best time; best vendor etcx