Hi Fodor Friends,
I have been researching my next road trip and would love to hear some input. We would like to visit Minnesota, SD, ND, and Iowa in our efforts to see all 50 states. We will be going last week in August-beginning of Sept. Two gals - late 30s. Here is my thought on an itinerary.
Day 1 - Fly in to Minneapolis at night - drive to Stillwater.
Day 2 - Visit river towns, spend night in Stillwater
Day 3 - Drive to Mason City, IA - visit Music Man Square, spend night
Day 4 - Drive to Chamberlain, SD - stop at Corn Palace and Green Giant along the way
Day 5 - Drive to Rapid City, SD
Day 5 - Rapid City area
Day 6 - Rapid City area
Day 7 - Drive to DeSmet, SD - visit Little House on the Prairie activities
Day 8 - Drive to Fargo, ND
Day 9 - Drive to MInneapolis
Day 10 - Minneapolis
Day 11 - Minneapolis
Day 12 - Fly home
How does that look? I tried not to have more than 5 hours of driving any given day (hence random stopping in Chamberlain and DeSmet).
Would love some ideas for what to do around Fargo and Minneapolis - activities, theater, dining (we like anything).
Rapid City area I am thinking Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Badlands, Custer?
Think we will do several B and Bs but thinking of staying in hotel in Downtown Minneapolis (would you recommend?).
Yes, we know we are looking at about 1600 miles of driving, but we are all about the journey too and will stop whenever we see cool things.
Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed. Thank you!
Northern Prairies Road Trip
Hi Fodor Friends,
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 2 3 weeks in USA in February -- final post before booking hotels
- 3 Orlando to Savannah
- 4 Portsmouth NH to NYC
- 5 Road trip March from Atlanta
- 6 Help needed from USA experts... where to?
- 7 Dinner in Miami
- 8 After Chigago ? side trips- suggestions
- 9 Met Opera rush tickets - process changed again!
- 10 Need help planning weekend trips: Georgia, Chicago, Tennessee, Alaska?!
- 11 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 12 Any edits? San Antonio & Austin Itinerary Dec 31st-Jan 5th or 6th
- 13 Family Reunion Ideas for Maine Coast
- 14 62 Hikers airlifted out of Kalalau Trail
- 15 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 16 Utah-Arizona National Parks intinary help needed
- 17 fly fishing spring break - warm weather
- 18 Tipping advice
- 19 Lake Rabun Hotel
- 20 NYT article on exploring Los Angeles without a car
- 21 advice on possible employment in GA or NC rural areas
- 22 Zion, Bryce, Page, GC South Rim, and Arches
- 23 Christmas weather?
- 24 Big island itinerary
- 25 New York City and New England