Hi Fodor Friends,
I have been researching my next road trip and would love to hear some input. We would like to visit Minnesota, SD, ND, and Iowa in our efforts to see all 50 states. We will be going last week in August-beginning of Sept. Two gals - late 30s. Here is my thought on an itinerary.
Day 1 - Fly in to Minneapolis at night - drive to Stillwater.
Day 2 - Visit river towns, spend night in Stillwater
Day 3 - Drive to Mason City, IA - visit Music Man Square, spend night
Day 4 - Drive to Chamberlain, SD - stop at Corn Palace and Green Giant along the way
Day 5 - Drive to Rapid City, SD
Day 5 - Rapid City area
Day 6 - Rapid City area
Day 7 - Drive to DeSmet, SD - visit Little House on the Prairie activities
Day 8 - Drive to Fargo, ND
Day 9 - Drive to MInneapolis
Day 10 - Minneapolis
Day 11 - Minneapolis
Day 12 - Fly home
How does that look? I tried not to have more than 5 hours of driving any given day (hence random stopping in Chamberlain and DeSmet).
Would love some ideas for what to do around Fargo and Minneapolis - activities, theater, dining (we like anything).
Rapid City area I am thinking Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Badlands, Custer?
Think we will do several B and Bs but thinking of staying in hotel in Downtown Minneapolis (would you recommend?).
Yes, we know we are looking at about 1600 miles of driving, but we are all about the journey too and will stop whenever we see cool things.
Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed. Thank you!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Itinerary to America - Guidance Needed
- 2 Hawaii in August w 6 year old boy
- 3 What should a foreigner know about the US?
- 4 How can the weather report be so wrong?
- 5 Not sure how long and how to explore the florida keys
- 6 Hotels in Beaufort, SC and Charleston, SC
- 7 Dry Tortugas, Ferry or SeaPlane
- 8 Seattle to San Francisco
- 9 Welltravbrit's Ongoing NYC Jaunt
- 10 San Francisco and Napa
- 11 Miami to West Palm Beach tomorrow!
- 12 Relocating to the Deep South
- 13 Modern, clean Miami Airport hotel ???
- 14 Bagging a bargain on Black Friday?
- 15 Utah: Southern Parks Itinerary Help
- 16 Warren & Annbelle's Maui
- 17 Philadelphia PA: Safe Place/Watched Lot to Leave Car Near NYC Bus Depot
- 18 Budget hotel San Francisco
- 19 Budget NYC hotel
- 20 2.5 days in New York. Are hotels the only option?
- 21 Timeshare on Cape Cod
- 22 OUR MANHATTAN ADVENTURE 2015
- 23 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 24 Best place for first night; Beach?
- 25 Will be in Palm Springs CA November 14-29, 2015
Hi Fodor Friends,