Hi Fodor Friends,
I have been researching my next road trip and would love to hear some input. We would like to visit Minnesota, SD, ND, and Iowa in our efforts to see all 50 states. We will be going last week in August-beginning of Sept. Two gals - late 30s. Here is my thought on an itinerary.
Day 1 - Fly in to Minneapolis at night - drive to Stillwater.
Day 2 - Visit river towns, spend night in Stillwater
Day 3 - Drive to Mason City, IA - visit Music Man Square, spend night
Day 4 - Drive to Chamberlain, SD - stop at Corn Palace and Green Giant along the way
Day 5 - Drive to Rapid City, SD
Day 5 - Rapid City area
Day 6 - Rapid City area
Day 7 - Drive to DeSmet, SD - visit Little House on the Prairie activities
Day 8 - Drive to Fargo, ND
Day 9 - Drive to MInneapolis
Day 10 - Minneapolis
Day 11 - Minneapolis
Day 12 - Fly home
How does that look? I tried not to have more than 5 hours of driving any given day (hence random stopping in Chamberlain and DeSmet).
Would love some ideas for what to do around Fargo and Minneapolis - activities, theater, dining (we like anything).
Rapid City area I am thinking Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Badlands, Custer?
Think we will do several B and Bs but thinking of staying in hotel in Downtown Minneapolis (would you recommend?).
Yes, we know we are looking at about 1600 miles of driving, but we are all about the journey too and will stop whenever we see cool things.
Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed. Thank you!
Northern Prairies Road Trip
Hi Fodor Friends,
- 1 Hudson Valley to Stockbridge, MA/Berkshires
- 2 Charleston, Savannah and more cheesy grits please
- 3 Seattle to coast to columbia River Gorge
- 4 J-ville airport ground transportation
- 5 Seattle restaurant near Pikes Market
- 6 East coast tour - Part1: NYC
- 7 California, Northern
- 8 Seattle Hotel Choice and Other Questions
- 9 Best place to raise a family in Florida
- 10 Exciting historical sites in upstate NY
- 11 Need help with itinerary to Seattle, Oregon, California
- 12 JFK to Upper West Side by subway
- 13 Buy now or wait . . . airfare to Santa Barbara in late July?
- 14 time for a new countdown to Hawaii
- 15 Bryce Canyon vs. Yellowsyone
- 16 Seatlle, WA
- 17 10 days after cruise - Fort Lauderdale Fly out from LA?????
- 18 What area to stay in for Memphis
- 19 What are the best activities in Key West?
- 20 Memphis Tours
- 21 Newport, RI Questions
- 22 Meredith New Hampshire
- 23 Back to the Lovely City!!
- 24 Northern Idaho - Western Montana Drive
- 25 Advice for 2 night intro trip to Moab in early June (1-3)