Driving to Asheville NC this Thanksgiving for about a week trip with my DH, we are mid 40's, no kids , will be about 12 hour drive from NJ to NC. Would like to stop along the way here and there in any states on the route, overnight stays if needed, and see some interesting sights or tourist attractions (and some tourist traps are okay too, haha). We will be staying about 3 days in Asheville, rest of the week is open.
Never been to any of the cities in N.C . like Raleigh, Winston-Salem, Chapel Hill, or Greensboro so not sure if they have anything interesting to stop off and see , or nice hotels to stay in, etc.
Any recommendations? Thinking of stopping at Tanglewood Park to see the Christmas light display on the way back to NJ. Not sure how worthwhile that will be.
Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Jazzfest side trips
- 2 Suggestions for beach towns on FL west coast?
- 3 "Unique" New York City Experiences-Yours
- 4 East Nashville or Hillsboro Village
- 5 Miami
- 6 Weegee...you can't be a 'nice Nellie' and do street photography
- 7 Back from the Big Easy
- 8 Driving Alaska
- 9 Oregon or California to Nebraska
- 10 Zion National Park Hikes and HOtels
- 11 Yellowstone/Grand Tetons (Oct 2016)
- 12 Traveling into the US with Alcohol
- 13 March in New Mexico
- 14 San Francisco/Northern California Trip
- 15 In search of cool beach town in the Carolinas
- 16 Transportation suggestions from Charleston Executive Airport
- 17 DIA to Estes Park in mid-Feb. 4x4?
- 18 Border crossing
- 19 Is Fox Rent A Car any good?
- 20 Last minute Keys Trip Advice Please
- 21 NYC Girls' Weekend Trip Report
- 22 Yellowstone Hikes questions
- 23 Flowers and Berries in Oregon
- 24 Early 2017 Broadway Banter - "Come From Away"
- 25 Cross country tips