My husband and I are travelling to the US - from Australia - in October. We've got about 7 days to explore New England. I've been reading about the area quite a bit, but getting a little fuzzy now with all the information. Here are our thoughts so far.
Drive out of Manhattan (wish us luck - you guys drive on the wrong side of the road) and head straight to New Port RI. for 2 nights there. Then up early to drive perhaps over to the Cape Cod area and then make our way up to Portsmouth NH. (Boston not included in this trip.) 2 nights in Portsmouth and then we make our way, somehow, back to Battleboro onto Wilmington VT to start our journey up Highway 100 for about 3 days.
Our trip ends at Burlington.
How does that sound? Am I being too ambitious with the drive to Cape Cod and then up to Portsmouth?
I realize it's peak time over there - and I really don't want to stop for 2 nights anywhere when we make our way up Hwy 100. Is that a problem? I also realize that Maine doesn't figure at all - which is a pity - hope to taste a lobster without getting up there.
It will be great to see those main ports (New Port and Portsmouth) - but we also want to see small town America --- and diners with gum-chewing waitresses, etc.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
(I've re-submitted this message and 'Vermont' wasn't tagged in my first message)
New England Itinerary - October
- 1 South Florida luxury hotels with a 5 year old
- 2 Help! Travel plans to USA West Coast
- 3 Traveling the U.S. by car for a long time!
- 4 How to safely transport a newborn baby in downtown Chicago without your own car?
- 5 Staying at the Omni in downtown austin. Anywhere to park cheaper?
- 6 Wailea Maui Restaurants
- 7 Disney Florida - Which parks to go for 1.5 days?
- 8 RIP Judy Rogers
- 9 Fun restaurants in New Orleans
- 10 Road trip across the USA - looking for suggestions.
- 11 Boston area
- 12 Savanah Sojourn
- 13 10 day Hawaii Vacations
- 14 2nd visit to California wine country, recommendations needed.
- 15 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 16 Maybe a trip to NYC will make my 16 year old think Mom's okay
- 17 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 18 South Lake Tahoe (end of December 2013)
- 19 The impossible dream: Bypassing I-95 between DC and Richmond
- 20 Hollywood with 17yr old son
- 21 UK passport to travel from US to Thailand
- 22 Any additions to my general plan for 2 night stay in Jacksonville (no car)?
- 23 dog friendly hotels websites--any others than bringfido.com?
- 24 Creating restaurant list for San Francisco - new ones??
- 25 Seniors need help with itinerary for grandkids!