My husband and I are travelling to the US - from Australia - in October. We've got about 7 days to explore New England. I've been reading about the area quite a bit, but getting a little fuzzy now with all the information. Here are our thoughts so far.
Drive out of Manhattan (wish us luck - you guys drive on the wrong side of the road) and head straight to New Port RI. for 2 nights there. Then up early to drive perhaps over to the Cape Cod area and then make our way up to Portsmouth NH. (Boston not included in this trip.) 2 nights in Portsmouth and then we make our way, somehow, back to Battleboro onto Wilmington VT to start our journey up Highway 100 for about 3 days.
Our trip ends at Burlington.
How does that sound? Am I being too ambitious with the drive to Cape Cod and then up to Portsmouth?
I realize it's peak time over there - and I really don't want to stop for 2 nights anywhere when we make our way up Hwy 100. Is that a problem? I also realize that Maine doesn't figure at all - which is a pity - hope to taste a lobster without getting up there.
It will be great to see those main ports (New Port and Portsmouth) - but we also want to see small town America --- and diners with gum-chewing waitresses, etc.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
(I've re-submitted this message and 'Vermont' wasn't tagged in my first message)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Florida couples first trip to Maine
- 2 San Diego Sunset or La Jolla
- 3 November redwoods trip
- 4 Spring Break trip to National Park
- 5 Destination and route guidance needed for Oct trip to New England.
- 6 Wedding gifts?
- 7 Phantom of the Opera Row H Seats 101-102 thoughts?
- 8 December Vacation in Florida by Beach
- 9 My Avis/kona rental experience
- 10 Layover
- 11 Seattle?
- 12 Pacific Northwest Trip - Mother/Daughter
- 13 Parking a Ford Transit Passenger Van NYC
- 14 Luxury Mountain Resort in PA or WV for sightseeing
- 15 driving from Atlanta to Denver
- 16 Cape Cod Biking & Lodging
- 17 SF Area - Fall Family Trip
- 18 Need advise sightseeing Seattle - Pendleton - Twin Falls - Yellowstone
- 19 First Trip to New Mexico
- 20 Where to Stay Northern New Mexico in November
- 21 Big Bend, McDonald Observatory, San Antonio and Austin in January
- 22 Airport Advice for GNP
- 23 Day trips from Boston
- 24 2 weeks in Alaska with kids
- 25 Washington visit...perhaps relocate