My husband and I are travelling to the US - from Australia - in October. We've got about 7 days to explore New England. I've been reading about the area quite a bit, but getting a little fuzzy now with all the information. Here are our thoughts so far.
Drive out of Manhattan (wish us luck - you guys drive on the wrong side of the road) and head straight to New Port RI. for 2 nights there. Then up early to drive perhaps over to the Cape Cod area and then make our way up to Portsmouth NH. (Boston not included in this trip.) 2 nights in Portsmouth and then we make our way, somehow, back to Battleboro onto Wilmington VT to start our journey up Highway 100 for about 3 days.
Our trip ends at Burlington.
How does that sound? Am I being too ambitious with the drive to Cape Cod and then up to Portsmouth?
I realize it's peak time over there - and I really don't want to stop for 2 nights anywhere when we make our way up Hwy 100. Is that a problem? I also realize that Maine doesn't figure at all - which is a pity - hope to taste a lobster without getting up there.
It will be great to see those main ports (New Port and Portsmouth) - but we also want to see small town America --- and diners with gum-chewing waitresses, etc.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
(I've re-submitted this message and 'Vermont' wasn't tagged in my first message)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Things to do in Toronto
- 2 Looking for advice on my hitchhike trip plan
- 3 I95 or I81 to Florida from NJ on Memorial Day Weekend Friday?
- 4 San Fran & Monterey Bay with Tweens
- 5 Santa Fe, New Mexico looking for a house
- 6 How Much??-Taxi from Atlanta airport to Emory University
- 7 NEW ORLEANS AND CAJUN COUNTRY...A WEEK-LONG FOOD QUEST
- 8 LA/ Santa Monica with boyfriend and another couple!
- 9 Miami airport--safety??
- 10 Las vegas hotel off the beaten path
- 11 UC Santa Barbara hotels
- 12 US whole month of January where to
- 13 HAWAII- best islands at xmas time
- 14 Boston hotel in May - Suburb and using the T-line
- 15 Drive from Ohio to NYC
- 16 Recent Spam Attacks
- 17 Family trip Las Vegas to Zion, Bryce, Page, GC and Sedona?
- 18 Road Trip-San Francisco and Los Angeles
- 19 Central Coast CA kayaking?
- 20 Heading to Asheville, NC
- 21 Driving from Glacier National Park to Hood River
- 22 Pacific Grove for 5 or 6 nights
- 23 Baltimore Weekend
- 24 Dinosaur National Monument
- 25 Road trip LA to Phoenix via Grand Canyon