My husband and I are travelling to the US - from Australia - in October. We've got about 7 days to explore New England. I've been reading about the area quite a bit, but getting a little fuzzy now with all the information. Here are our thoughts so far.
Drive out of Manhattan (wish us luck - you guys drive on the wrong side of the road) and head straight to New Port RI. for 2 nights there. Then up early to drive perhaps over to the Cape Cod area and then make our way up to Portsmouth NH. (Boston not included in this trip.) 2 nights in Portsmouth and then we make our way, somehow, back to Battleboro onto Wilmington VT to start our journey up Highway 100 for about 3 days.
Our trip ends at Burlington.
How does that sound? Am I being too ambitious with the drive to Cape Cod and then up to Portsmouth?
I realize it's peak time over there - and I really don't want to stop for 2 nights anywhere when we make our way up Hwy 100. Is that a problem? I also realize that Maine doesn't figure at all - which is a pity - hope to taste a lobster without getting up there.
It will be great to see those main ports (New Port and Portsmouth) - but we also want to see small town America --- and diners with gum-chewing waitresses, etc.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
(I've re-submitted this message and 'Vermont' wasn't tagged in my first message)
New England Itinerary - October
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 2 Avis Car rental Loss Damage Waiver LDW Fraud
- 3 5 Days in San Antonio and Austin Texas
- 4 Restaurant in NYC advice
- 5 Transportation from Newark airport to Secaucus
- 6 After Chigago ? side trips- suggestions
- 7 Dad and daughter trip to Santa Fe
- 8 USA New York City: First-time Visitors
- 9 Tipping advice
- 10 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 11 Wilmington, NC to Raleigh - Anything interesting to see in between?
- 12 charleston during Christmas Week
- 13 Rules of the Sidewalk
- 14 Fort Myers Beach vs Naples Beach
- 15 Advanced Reservations for USS Arizona Memorial Available Again
- 16 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 17 Queens, NY - Do not go
- 18 Tuscon to Las Vegas Drive in December
- 19 Hawaii Rental Cars - Book early
- 20 Boston, NYC or Chicago for 3rd weekend in March?
- 21 Maui - Need a Vegan-Friendly Restaurant Recommendation
- 22 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 23 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 24 Charleston/Savannah/Asheville, 6 days enough?
- 25 Hotel - Caesars Palace OR Signature @ MGM