My husband and I are travelling to the US - from Australia - in October. We've got about 7 days to explore New England. I've been reading about the area quite a bit, but getting a little fuzzy now with all the information. Here are our thoughts so far.
Drive out of Manhattan (wish us luck - you guys drive on the wrong side of the road) and head straight to New Port RI. for 2 nights there. Then up early to drive perhaps over to the Cape Cod area and then make our way up to Portsmouth NH. (Boston not included in this trip.) 2 nights in Portsmouth and then we make our way, somehow, back to Battleboro onto Wilmington VT to start our journey up Highway 100 for about 3 days.
Our trip ends at Burlington.
How does that sound? Am I being too ambitious with the drive to Cape Cod and then up to Portsmouth?
I realize it's peak time over there - and I really don't want to stop for 2 nights anywhere when we make our way up Hwy 100. Is that a problem? I also realize that Maine doesn't figure at all - which is a pity - hope to taste a lobster without getting up there.
It will be great to see those main ports (New Port and Portsmouth) - but we also want to see small town America --- and diners with gum-chewing waitresses, etc.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
(I've re-submitted this message and 'Vermont' wasn't tagged in my first message)
New England Itinerary - October
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 where in 'Charleston' would you winter?
- 2 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 3 Escape cold in mid-Feb (4) nights from Michigan
- 4 Road trip next summes...Suggestions ?
- 5 Dining in Manhattan
- 6 Chicago- The Godfrey hotel or the Hotel Burnham????
- 7 St Patrick's renovations
- 8 New Casual Italian/Pizza Restaurant, via Danny Meyer: MARTA
- 9 The reason for choosing Anti Aging serum Is Ok Or Not?
- 10 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 11 Boston Uber shenanigans? Fake airport fees
- 12 4 week family trip ideas
- 13 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 14 ideas for roadtrip through Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado
- 15 Is It Possible - One Post for MT, UT, WY in a Week?
- 16 From Seattle airport to the city
- 17 General Utah planning questions
- 18 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 19 Protecting yourself when using VRBO
- 20 Washington and Oregon Fall vacation 2015
- 21 need two stop-overs from LA to Santa Fe, NM
- 22 New York City Christmas Trip
- 23 Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, February
- 24 Washington - North cascades trails (Goat Lake and others) okay in winter?
- 25 Colorado Skiing