My husband and I are travelling to the US - from Australia - in October. We've got about 7 days to explore New England. I've been reading about the area quite a bit, but getting a little fuzzy now with all the information. Here are our thoughts so far.
Drive out of Manhattan (wish us luck - you guys drive on the wrong side of the road) and head straight to New Port RI. for 2 nights there. Then up early to drive perhaps over to the Cape Cod area and then make our way up to Portsmouth NH. (Boston not included in this trip.) 2 nights in Portsmouth and then we make our way, somehow, back to Battleboro onto Wilmington VT to start our journey up Highway 100 for about 3 days.
Our trip ends at Burlington.
How does that sound? Am I being too ambitious with the drive to Cape Cod and then up to Portsmouth?
I realize it's peak time over there - and I really don't want to stop for 2 nights anywhere when we make our way up Hwy 100. Is that a problem? I also realize that Maine doesn't figure at all - which is a pity - hope to taste a lobster without getting up there.
It will be great to see those main ports (New Port and Portsmouth) - but we also want to see small town America --- and diners with gum-chewing waitresses, etc.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
(I've re-submitted this message and 'Vermont' wasn't tagged in my first message)
New England Itinerary - October
- 1 First-time to NYC Trip Report as promised!
- 2 Cheap Hotel in NY
- 3 hello guys....
- 4 2 Brits Travelling USA July-Aug 2013
- 5 Hawaii- Can't decide which islands to include
- 6 Chicago: Clark & Lake Street Subway Stop
- 7 Road Trip - Las Vegas, NV to Monterey, CA
- 8 Albuquerque to Denver
- 9 Central Coast of Maine in August
- 10 Itinerary Ideas for 2nd Trip to NYC ... without kids this time
- 11 Bryce Canyon vs. Yellowsyone
- 12 Rocks and Roads in Utah
- 13 New York-Texas Road Trip
- 14 DC Itinerary, June 8-13, suggestions welcome!
- 15 Nashville Hot Fried Chicken
- 16 Help with July 4th Marriott Houston trip
- 17 Where to stay Charleston SC
- 18 Road trip Sacramento to Denver, help requested
- 19 How far ahead to book Alcatraz?
- 20 Yosemite Falls Lodge in the park or Cedar Lodge w/ budget constraints
- 21 Dulles Airport to Baltimore hotel
- 22 Michigan Beaches
- 23 Southwest Crawl: Colorado to Grand Canyon to Vegas
- 24 Middlebury vt quickie
- 25 STL Bucket List - College Student