My husband and I are travelling to the US - from Australia - in October. We've got about 7 days to explore New England. I've been reading about the area quite a bit, but getting a little fuzzy now with all the information. Here are our thoughts so far.
Drive out of Manhattan (wish us luck - you guys drive on the wrong side of the road) and head straight to New Port RI. for 2 nights there. Then up early to drive perhaps over to the Cape Cod area and then make our way up to Portsmouth NH. (Boston not included in this trip.) 2 nights in Portsmouth and then we make our way, somehow, back to Battleboro onto Wilmington VT to start our journey up Highway 100 for about 3 days.
Our trip ends at Burlington.
How does that sound? Am I being too ambitious with the drive to Cape Cod and then up to Portsmouth?
I realize it's peak time over there - and I really don't want to stop for 2 nights anywhere when we make our way up Hwy 100. Is that a problem? I also realize that Maine doesn't figure at all - which is a pity - hope to taste a lobster without getting up there.
It will be great to see those main ports (New Port and Portsmouth) - but we also want to see small town America --- and diners with gum-chewing waitresses, etc.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
(I've re-submitted this message and 'Vermont' wasn't tagged in my first message)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Superbike World Championship live stream
- 2 Chicago to Charleston
- 3 Alaska in First Week of Sept
- 4 Where would you live for a year if housing was paid for?
- 5 Retiring in NM?
- 6 New Orleans to Memphis and back
- 7 Route Planning for East USA
- 8 Favourite San Francisco hotel / New things to see??
- 9 Utah National Parks visit
- 10 Hiking the Narrows, Zion National Park
- 11 Dallas for the first time. Rent car? Activities?
- 12 Moving to Dallas - Where to live?
- 13 A Puffin, a Whale, and a Moose walk into a bar. In Maine
- 14 Washington DC in mid May. Questions!
- 15 universal studios and disney
- 16 Honeymoon out west.
- 17 Visit to St. Simons Island, Georgia
- 18 Hotel Valencia, San Antonio RiverWalk
- 19 How many states have you been to?
- 20 Quick Trip to D.C. In April
- 21 USA, Trip to the south
- 22 Comment Needed: 22 Days - West Cost (California & LV)
- 23 Alaska Trip Planning Please Help
- 24 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 25 Rental car or RV for road trip from San Francisco via Las Vegas to Denver