My husband and I are travelling to the US - from Australia - in October. We've got about 7 days to explore New England. I've been reading about the area quite a bit, but getting a little fuzzy now with all the information. Here are our thoughts so far.
Drive out of Manhattan (wish us luck - you guys drive on the wrong side of the road) and head straight to New Port RI. for 2 nights there. Then up early to drive perhaps over to the Cape Cod area and then make our way up to Portsmouth NH. (Boston not included in this trip.) 2 nights in Portsmouth and then we make our way, somehow, back to Battleboro onto Wilmington VT to start our journey up Highway 100 for about 3 days.
Our trip ends at Burlington.
How does that sound? Am I being too ambitious with the drive to Cape Cod and then up to Portsmouth?
I realize it's peak time over there - and I really don't want to stop for 2 nights anywhere when we make our way up Hwy 100. Is that a problem? I also realize that Maine doesn't figure at all - which is a pity - hope to taste a lobster without getting up there.
It will be great to see those main ports (New Port and Portsmouth) - but we also want to see small town America --- and diners with gum-chewing waitresses, etc.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
(I've re-submitted this message and 'Vermont' wasn't tagged in my first message)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Honeymoon Suggestions
- 2 Kayaking at Old Forge, NY
- 3 Dupont Circle Hotels
- 4 Short civil rights your Atlanta to Birningham
- 5 Build a Chicago itinerary?
- 6 Florida Family vacation in California
- 7 Other places like Chautauqua Institution
- 8 Need help: itinerary from Kansas City to Yellowstone and back
- 9 Western Trip - CO, Utah, NV
- 10 Trip Report - San Francisco advise for 1st timers like us!!
- 11 San Francisco California
- 12 6 days in Boston - review itinerary & other recs needed
- 13 Miami and New Orleans
- 14 Louisville in December
- 15 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 16 Transportation Newark/High Line and Penn Station/Newark
- 17 Restaurant near Dana on the bay San Diego
- 18 Grocery Shopping in Maui - is Costco worth the stop?
- 19 United Nations tours
- 20 The Big Island, Kauai, and Maui: A Songdoc Trip Report
- 21 September Road Trip in New England
- 22 NYC with 8 yr old
- 23 Restaurants in Sanibel/Captiva
- 24 Road trip NYC to Dallas
- 25 Yosemite and Sequoia