My husband and I are travelling to the US - from Australia - in October. We've got about 7 days to explore New England. I've been reading about the area quite a bit, but getting a little fuzzy now with all the information. Here are our thoughts so far.
Drive out of Manhattan (wish us luck - you guys drive on the wrong side of the road) and head straight to New Port RI. for 2 nights there. Then up early to drive perhaps over to the Cape Cod area and then make our way up to Portsmouth NH. (Boston not included in this trip.) 2 nights in Portsmouth and then we make our way, somehow, back to Battleboro onto Wilmington VT to start our journey up Highway 100 for about 3 days.
Our trip ends at Burlington.
How does that sound? Am I being too ambitious with the drive to Cape Cod and then up to Portsmouth?
I realize it's peak time over there - and I really don't want to stop for 2 nights anywhere when we make our way up Hwy 100. Is that a problem? I also realize that Maine doesn't figure at all - which is a pity - hope to taste a lobster without getting up there.
It will be great to see those main ports (New Port and Portsmouth) - but we also want to see small town America --- and diners with gum-chewing waitresses, etc.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
(I've re-submitted this message and 'Vermont' wasn't tagged in my first message)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Ideas for New York
- 2 Best/Cheapest way to get to Copper Mtn, CO?
- 3 Hurricane Matthew damage along Florida East Coast?
- 4 Shuttle, taxi or Uber from PGD to Boca Grande area
- 5 Honeymoon Trip to California
- 6 3-week one-way cross country trip in June
- 7 Lodging outside of Yellowstone
- 8 Grand Canyon / Bryce / Zion in August with Teens
- 9 No Spam this morning!!
- 10 CEO Dollar Rental Car
- 11 Great OR beach house locations?
- 12 Pittsburgh to Richmond - Possible Routes?
- 13 Four Nights in Texas? San Antonio? Austin? Dallas?
- 14 Honeymoon on PCH
- 15 East Nashville or Hillsboro Village
- 16 Road Trip From Central PA TO CA (LA, California)
- 17 Early 2017 Broadway Banter - "Come From Away"
- 18 San Francisco transit options
- 19 Best Kids' Skiing <3 hours from Chicago?
- 20 South Beach, Miami Affordable Hotels
- 21 "Unique" New York City Experiences-Yours
- 22 Best ground transportation from Denver airport to Boulder?
- 23 Driving from San Francisco to Seattle late december/early january
- 24 First time visit to New Orleans: Hilton Riverside or New Orleans Marriott?
- 25 Driving from San Diego CA to Great lakes IL in FEB