My family is planning on taking two weeks next summer to drive West from Kansas City. Any suggestions on where to go? Unfortunately, with the exception of childhood trips for my husband and me, we have only flown over this section of the country.
We know we want to go to the Southwest part of Colorado. We could either make a northern loop through Montana, Idaho, etc., or a southern loop through Arizona, Texas,etc.
Other info - We have two kids (8 and 4), don't mind long drives (we usually drive to the East Coast for a beach vacation, but wanted something different this year), and wouldn't mind camping for some of the nights. Also, I know my daughter would love to see some cowboy/old West things. I remember seeing some ghosttowns, cowboys, etc, on my childhood trip. Probably very tacky, but at the time, I thought it was great.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Baby Boomer Road Trip
- 2 Does this itinerary sound reasonable? (north of SF)
- 3 New Mexico, Arizona, Utah vacation help
- 4 Lone traveler seeing Alaska in a rush!
- 5 How to spend 4 days ending in Boston?
- 6 Washington DC - where to stay & commute
- 7 Another Yellowstone Lodging question
- 8 Glacier to Banff
- 9 Having second thoughts regarding time allocation in NPs
- 10 Train, Boston to NYC, questions
- 11 Don't let me miss any special spots, YNP & GTNP in July.
- 12 Mississippi gulf coast
- 13 Another Key West trip in the books!
- 14 Bagels in Mid-town East
- 15 Retirement Bucket List Trip: Santa Fe, Colorado Springs, Denver
- 16 Boston to see Sargent works
- 17 Portland OR - Uber Question
- 18 Inns in Manteo
- 19 A Drive Through the Poconos
- 20 Colorado Springs to Durango 9 days
- 21 Inviting all friends to get “Hawaii fix” on September 5, Saturday
- 22 Washington Monument Reservtions and timing ~ plus Paddleboats
- 23 itinerary for 2 weeks in Oregon in early September
- 24 Lake Powell
- 25 Denver and Beyond for 6 Days -- What to do?
Need suggestions for driving trip West - between Colorado and California