My family is planning on taking two weeks next summer to drive West from Kansas City. Any suggestions on where to go? Unfortunately, with the exception of childhood trips for my husband and me, we have only flown over this section of the country.
We know we want to go to the Southwest part of Colorado. We could either make a northern loop through Montana, Idaho, etc., or a southern loop through Arizona, Texas,etc.
Other info - We have two kids (8 and 4), don't mind long drives (we usually drive to the East Coast for a beach vacation, but wanted something different this year), and wouldn't mind camping for some of the nights. Also, I know my daughter would love to see some cowboy/old West things. I remember seeing some ghosttowns, cowboys, etc, on my childhood trip. Probably very tacky, but at the time, I thought it was great.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Dining at CIA in Hyde Park
- 2 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!
- 3 Realistic expectations in Yellowstone in July
- 4 Live in FL need a road trip suggestion
- 5 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 6 Anniversary Getaway in August Where Too?
- 7 New Orleans music
- 8 Contemplating moving from Chicago to Nashville
- 9 What to do with teenagers in Napa and Mendocino
- 10 Las Vegas Show Advice for Beatles Fan
- 11 Washington DC: your favorite part of your visit
- 12 Boston, Maine, Nantucket/MV, RI,
- 13 Driving from Seattle to San Deigo
- 14 Oregon Itinerary Critique, please.
- 15 Christmas vacation-Maui or Carribean?
- 16 Avalon/ Catalina Questions
- 17 Holman Ranch vineyard tour in Carmel Valley (Monterey County)
- 18 Rental Car using the ferries in Washington
- 19 NYC with wheelchair
- 20 Mid 20's Honeymoon
- 21 Trip from Anchorage to Homer, AK
- 22 Road trip to rock-y landscape from NC
- 23 2 days to do Denver/Colorado Springs
- 24 hawaii location for young couple needed
- 25 New York: "It's SOOOOOOOO Touristy"
Need suggestions for driving trip West - between Colorado and California