My family is planning on taking two weeks next summer to drive West from Kansas City. Any suggestions on where to go? Unfortunately, with the exception of childhood trips for my husband and me, we have only flown over this section of the country.
We know we want to go to the Southwest part of Colorado. We could either make a northern loop through Montana, Idaho, etc., or a southern loop through Arizona, Texas,etc.
Other info - We have two kids (8 and 4), don't mind long drives (we usually drive to the East Coast for a beach vacation, but wanted something different this year), and wouldn't mind camping for some of the nights. Also, I know my daughter would love to see some cowboy/old West things. I remember seeing some ghosttowns, cowboys, etc, on my childhood trip. Probably very tacky, but at the time, I thought it was great.
Need suggestions for driving trip West - between Colorado and California
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas trip report
- 2 Hotels in LA ... I know...how long is a piece of string type question...
- 3 traveling Amtrak cross country
- 4 Favorite Washington, DC restaurants
- 5 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 6 Napa Girls Getaway - Need hotel advice
- 7 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 8 recommended cheaper hotels around thanksgiving
- 9 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 10 Place for a drink where kids are allowed? An NYC question.
- 11 Grand Staircase Esclante National Monument
- 12 Grand Circle Itinerary Utah
- 13 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 14 My Boston weekend...killing time near MGH
- 15 New York City Restaurants
- 16 Dining in D.C.
- 17 Lunch with little girls UWS?
- 18 Charleston, SC Beaches
- 19 9 Day Trip to Yosemite, Oregon and Washington State
- 20 Jersey City Parking
- 21 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 22 Washington DC Metro
- 23 AirBnB is illegal in San Francisco,
- 24 Best Glacier viewing (by boat) from Seward or Whittier
- 25 Spring Break in California: San Francisco, Yosemite and up the coast