My family is planning on taking two weeks next summer to drive West from Kansas City. Any suggestions on where to go? Unfortunately, with the exception of childhood trips for my husband and me, we have only flown over this section of the country.
We know we want to go to the Southwest part of Colorado. We could either make a northern loop through Montana, Idaho, etc., or a southern loop through Arizona, Texas,etc.
Other info - We have two kids (8 and 4), don't mind long drives (we usually drive to the East Coast for a beach vacation, but wanted something different this year), and wouldn't mind camping for some of the nights. Also, I know my daughter would love to see some cowboy/old West things. I remember seeing some ghosttowns, cowboys, etc, on my childhood trip. Probably very tacky, but at the time, I thought it was great.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Planning Rim2Rim Hike at Grand Canyon
- 2 CA Fire - need revised itinerary help
- 3 Desert Southwest
- 4 11 Days in Washington State and northern Oregon: what to do?
- 5 Lake Tahoe or ?
- 6 Between Naples and Fort Myers
- 7 Restaurant Recs for Minneapolis
- 8 Los Angeles Indefinitely
- 9 Kids Vacation Place
- 10 SW Colorado/San Juan Skyway ideas?
- 11 Boston waterfront Italian
- 12 Mardi Gras
- 13 Moving from Fresno CA to highpoint NC
- 14 Need advice - Charleston girls' weekend
- 15 Need help with National Parks trip in 2017
- 16 Road trip from Gulf Coast to Key West
- 17 Northern California Fall itinerary help
- 18 Best restaurants?! - first time to NYC!
- 19 Napa valley getaway
- 20 Two nights from Sacramento to Santa Barbara: where to spend the night?
- 21 Grand Canyon From Phoenix
- 22 Steamboat in August
- 23 Trip Report: 2 weeks from SF to Yellowstone and back, June 2016
- 24 JFK 10 hour layover-World Trade Center + ?
- 25 October 2016 Hawaii trip help please
Need suggestions for driving trip West - between Colorado and California