Im in the early stages of planning an upcoming trip to the Black Hills/Badlands area of South Dakota in April 2012. My travel dates are flexible, but would like to concentrate on going preferably on weekdays opposed to weekends due to less crowds. Ive been there once before in 2006, but time was extremely limited due to it being a business trip and only briefing saw various attractions. This upcoming trip will be leisure trip. Besides myself, there will be 4 other adults, ranging in ages between 29 to 35 yrs old. We have certain points of interests we would like to see: Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Cosmos, Deadwood. We are looking at staying 3 nights in Rapid City. We are seeking advice for dining options, specifically a great steak house, a good buffet, a good chinese restaurant, or other restaurants in the area that recieve good notoriety for being excellent dining establishments that are recommended by locals and tourists alike. In Deadwood, we would like to know of what are great restaurants there, and what are good shops to visit for souvenirs, Native American jewelry, what are the best casinos, museums, or other points of interests. At a basic stance as of now, we are looking at spending the earlier part of at least 2 of our 3 days visiting Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse, Cosmos, and other points of interests that can only be during daytime hours/normal business hours, and focusing our Deadwood casino action at night. So we would basically be driving to Deadwood each day, since its a place we would like to concentrate a great part of our time at. We would also like to perhaps dedicate an entire day visiting Deadwood as well, since many things we would like to see and do are in Deadwood. ...I also passed through the town of Custer,..I didnt know what to make of the town..it seemed like some family resort type of town for families..as I saw a Flintstones themed amusement park, and other related attractions...is this the case, or are there attractions suited for adults in Custer? Is Custer worth visiting at all? ..and what about Hot Springs? Spearfish? or other nearby towns? ...Sturgis doesnt appeal to us at all, its top economy is the August rush of bikers...this was evident when I reluctantly had to lodge at the Days Inn in Sturgis back in 2006...the hotel reeked of tobacco so bad. ...so we have no intention or desire to lodge in Sturgis or even visit the town for that matter. ...any and all advice is appreciated.
need help planning Black Hills/Badlands trip in April
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 The East Coast adventure: December 2014
- 2 Please help identify location in Southern California
- 3 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 4 WHY are rental cars in December in Florida so expensive?
- 5 After Chigago ? side trips- suggestions
- 6 Utah-Arizona National Parks intinary help needed
- 7 Need help planning weekend trips: Georgia, Chicago, Tennessee, Alaska?!
- 8 Quick Austin weekend itinerary review
- 9 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 10 August 2015 Western Roadtrip Route? 30 days...Two 22-year-old Girls
- 11 Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Banff in May or early Sept.?
- 12 Best Destination in USA
- 13 Rules of the Sidewalk
- 14 Road trip March from Atlanta
- 15 Nashville - Weekend Trip
- 16 Dinner stop between Boston and Bradley Airport in CT (Windsor)
- 17 NYT article on exploring Los Angeles without a car
- 18 x mas
- 19 Zion, Bryce, Page, GC South Rim, and Arches
- 20 Last Minute NYE Trip to DC - Fancy Tea? Other special ideas...Wanted
- 21 US 101 closed N of Florence
- 22 FLORIDA CONDO--seeking general advice
- 23 Deep South roadtrip, 3 weeks, 2 more Brits needing your help!
- 24 Help with seeing Rocky Mountain National Park
- 25 Choosing best Seats Radio City