I am planning a trip to Alaska July or August 2012 and need advice, please!
I am a middle-aged woman, who will be traveling solo. I'd like to spend a week (Sa-Sa, probably). What I want to do is fish (charter/party boat, but riverside fishing would be great, too), light hiking, a glacier boat tour, and perhaps some kayaking, as well as general sightseeing a driving around.
A friend advises Seward, but I've found nice places to stay in Homer and Whittier. I would prefer to have one location as my "base" for the duration of the trip, either at a upscale hotel or condo/vacation home rental.
Is any one of these locations better than the other for meeting all this criteria? I will be flying into Anchorage and renting a car.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 March in New Mexico
- 2 Border crossing
- 3 NYC Girls' Weekend Trip Report
- 4 Yellowstone Hikes questions
- 5 Flowers and Berries in Oregon
- 6 "Unique" New York City Experiences-Yours
- 7 Back from the Big Easy
- 8 Early 2017 Broadway Banter - "Come From Away"
- 9 Cross country tips
- 10 Zion National Park Hikes and HOtels
- 11 Best May/Jun Yosemite lodging areas: Yosemite West, El Portal, or Wawona?
- 12 Ideas for New York
- 13 Parka in PA during February?
- 14 Restaurants in the San Francisco area
- 15 Sedona v Scottsdale?
- 16 Traveling into the US with Alcohol
- 17 Driving Alaska
- 18 Clear Roads From Seattle to Omaha 12-9-16?
- 19 Is Fox Rent A Car any good?
- 20 EWR to Midtown Manhattan
- 21 DIA to Estes Park in mid-Feb. 4x4?
- 22 Rental cars at Tampa cruiseport 3
- 23 Best Kids' Skiing <3 hours from Chicago?
- 24 CEO Dollar Rental Car
- 25 Last minute Keys Trip Advice Please