I am planning a trip to Alaska July or August 2012 and need advice, please!
I am a middle-aged woman, who will be traveling solo. I'd like to spend a week (Sa-Sa, probably). What I want to do is fish (charter/party boat, but riverside fishing would be great, too), light hiking, a glacier boat tour, and perhaps some kayaking, as well as general sightseeing a driving around.
A friend advises Seward, but I've found nice places to stay in Homer and Whittier. I would prefer to have one location as my "base" for the duration of the trip, either at a upscale hotel or condo/vacation home rental.
Is any one of these locations better than the other for meeting all this criteria? I will be flying into Anchorage and renting a car.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Zion and Bryce... which to do first
- 2 How long to spend at Lassen Volcanic NP?
- 3 Hawaii with 2 young teens
- 4 Need Help w/ Itinerary-Redwood NP, Mendocino, Sea Ranch Lodge
- 5 Help to plan winter vacation in Yellowstone
- 6 Pacific Drive RoadTrip during Thanks giving
- 7 Bedford Stuyvesant
- 8 Lodging recs for Mackinac Island
- 9 A week in Ohau - what to do?
- 10 Traveling across USA via Greyhound
- 11 New York with my 16 year old granddaughter
- 12 My Unexpected Stay at Embassy Suites at Philadelphia Airport
- 13 Coors Field Security for Zac Brown
- 14 Road Trip Along Lake Michigan
- 15 Itinerary help for Boston and Islands
- 16 Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion..
- 17 Relocation help - move to cool climate
- 18 Would Torrey be a good base for Moab/Canyonlands
- 19 Where to stay in or near San Simeon for one night?
- 20 Boston Ideas
- 21 Papakolea Beach/Green Sand Beach - Big Island, Hawaii
- 22 Crab restaurants near Silver Springs MD
- 23 Hawaii Itinerary for Family with Teens
- 24 Anna Maria Island--is north end "too" quiet?
- 25 Lake Champlain, VT