I am planning a trip to Alaska July or August 2012 and need advice, please!
I am a middle-aged woman, who will be traveling solo. I'd like to spend a week (Sa-Sa, probably). What I want to do is fish (charter/party boat, but riverside fishing would be great, too), light hiking, a glacier boat tour, and perhaps some kayaking, as well as general sightseeing a driving around.
A friend advises Seward, but I've found nice places to stay in Homer and Whittier. I would prefer to have one location as my "base" for the duration of the trip, either at a upscale hotel or condo/vacation home rental.
Is any one of these locations better than the other for meeting all this criteria? I will be flying into Anchorage and renting a car.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Cross-Country trip advice
- 2 Hiking 'the wave'
- 3 Washington DC
- 4 Montross/Ouray in the rain. Also foliage
- 5 Southern Jersey Turnpike area: hotel
- 6 Finding Steve Perry
- 7 Pacific Northwest Food and Wine
- 8 Fall colours first 2 weeks of October Boston area
- 9 Chicago Stamina
- 10 Tksgiving trip Anacortes or Whidbey Island?
- 11 Trip report--Birmingham, Alabama
- 12 Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks
- 13 West Coast (San Francisco to San Diego) Road Trip
- 14 Trip Report - NYC Girls Weekend
- 15 las vegas anyone
- 16 Best Fall Foliage in NM and CO?
- 17 Hawaii: 3 islands
- 18 Wyoming and Dakotas National Parks
- 19 Any suggestions for the holidays 2016
- 20 Big Sur evacuated due to Soberanes fire August 7, 2016
- 21 Restaurant Help Needed
- 22 Advanced Reservations for USS Arizona Memorial Policy
- 23 Trip to visit our children in St Louis, MO and Little Rock, AR.
- 24 Best Culinary Tour in Charleston?
- 25 Seattle first timers....outdoor trip in October