We have two kids ages 10 and 16 and want to visit two islands the last week in June and first week in July; this will be our first trip to Hawaii. In a previous effort to do this trip 4 years ago I had planned Big Island (Marriott Waikolea) and Kauai (Hyatt Grand)....we don't like high rises, like 4-5 start hotels/inns and prefer more natural settings and want to feel like we are in Hawaii and not in disney (we are not disney fans Are these still good choices? I'm just starting to research again. Also was thinking of flying to the big island first for 5 nights or so and then Kauai for maybe 4 nights? We will definitely want to see Volcano National Park, any reccs on where to stay near there? We like nice resorts with authentic feel and stuff for kids. Thanks for your advice.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 The Big Island, Kauai, and Maui: A Songdoc Trip Report
- 2 Yreka, CA to Medford, OR, Siskiyou Pass
- 3 Advice on tipping
- 4 September Road Trip in New England
- 5 Road Trip
- 6 Western Trip - CO, Utah, NV
- 7 Looking for suggestions for Washington state weekend getaways
- 8 Self-Catering to Lunch at Philadelphia's Barnes Collection
- 9 Transportation Newark/High Line and Penn Station/Newark
- 10 Sonoma Wine Tour 2 nights
- 11 Campground and Beach near Mystic, Ct
- 12 Restaurants in San Francisco and Napa/Sonoma Valley
- 13 Hilton Head restaurants
- 14 Road trip October
- 15 Amish
- 16 Our Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone Adventure, June 2015
- 17 SF, One day trip to wine county help July 3-5th??
- 18 United Nations tours
- 19 Solo Trip to Seattle on a Budget
- 20 national/state park in November
- 21 Road trip phila to toronto - help!
- 22 Nantucket for Columbus Weekend
- 23 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 24 Cayo Costa State Park
- 25 Restaurant near Dana on the bay San Diego