My husband and I recently visited Portland, OR, Port Townsend, WA, and Seattle (and few short stops in between) and absolutely fell in love with the area. We currently live in the NYC metropolitan area, so moving out to the Pacific NW would be a major change for us (my husband is originally from Ireland; I grew up WV and Ohio) and may not happen for a few more years because of his job. Still, I want some advice from all of you while the memory is still fresh in our minds. These are some of things we're looking for in a place to live: water (preferably water that we can swim, kayak in; we currently live on the Hudson River which can be beautiful but the possibility of pollutants keeps us out of it), a vibrant community, good schools (for when we do have kids), and proximity to a decent airport. Since my husband grew up in Dublin and I lived there briefly, we both know what it's like to live in a rainy climate, so it doesn't scare us away, though we'd like recommendations of towns/areas that are both in and out of the proverbial rain shadow. Thanks for your help, and I apologize if this is a repeat of anyone else's post.
Need Advice: Would love to live in Pacific Northwest
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 2 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 3 Kennebunkport and....?
- 4 Travel options from Washington DC to Williamsburg, Virginia
- 5 Christmas cruise in Hawaii
- 6 Wedding in Hawaii
- 7 Houseboat on Lake Powell
- 8 rain in Kauai
- 9 Grand Staircase Esclante National Monument
- 10 Alaska cruise and land
- 11 Antelope Canyon. Tour form Page or just show up there and pick a guide ?
- 12 Alaska Itinerary/Suggestions
- 13 NEW YORK CITY!!!
- 14 Camping Summer of 2015 Yellowstone? Yosemite? GT?
- 15 Where to go in Maine?
- 16 Jersey City Parking
- 17 Hotel in Santa Barbara
- 18 Autumn stay on Cape Cod
- 19 SF to DR? WTH!
- 20 AirBnB is illegal in San Francisco,
- 21 NYC Itinerary Help
- 22 WISCONSIN
- 23 VRBO/Airbnb rental status in San Francisco
- 24 Washington DC Self Planned Walking Tour
- 25 Baggage on United and Delta Flights