My husband and I recently visited Portland, OR, Port Townsend, WA, and Seattle (and few short stops in between) and absolutely fell in love with the area. We currently live in the NYC metropolitan area, so moving out to the Pacific NW would be a major change for us (my husband is originally from Ireland; I grew up WV and Ohio) and may not happen for a few more years because of his job. Still, I want some advice from all of you while the memory is still fresh in our minds. These are some of things we're looking for in a place to live: water (preferably water that we can swim, kayak in; we currently live on the Hudson River which can be beautiful but the possibility of pollutants keeps us out of it), a vibrant community, good schools (for when we do have kids), and proximity to a decent airport. Since my husband grew up in Dublin and I lived there briefly, we both know what it's like to live in a rainy climate, so it doesn't scare us away, though we'd like recommendations of towns/areas that are both in and out of the proverbial rain shadow. Thanks for your help, and I apologize if this is a repeat of anyone else's post.
Need Advice: Would love to live in Pacific Northwest
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Suggestions? Family of four that like National Parks
- 2 First family ski trip
- 3 Salt Lake City, Utah
- 4 Feedback on Palm Springs with Kids Itinerary
- 5 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 6 NYC theatre broadway
- 7 Commute from Kailua Kona to Hilo - doable?
- 8 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 9 Honeymoon - Maui and Oahu for first timers Oct 2014
- 10 Seattle TrainingTrip March 17, q's
- 11 Yes it's March, but let's talk Christmas destinations!
- 12 Visiting Denver
- 13 Visiting Denver
- 14 boston to nantucket: what are our options?
- 15 Gatlinburg Tennessee Itinerary suggestions
- 16 Help for an upcoming NYC trip.
- 17 Alternatives to Disney in Florida
- 18 Death Valley in June in a motorhome
- 19 Denver in a half day
- 20 Safe Way of renting property in Orlando
- 21 Return to Utah - New Sites
- 22 Oahu ideas
- 23 Grand Circle & Wyoming
- 24 driving from San Francisco to Seattle
- 25 Best places to move to Florida?