My husband and I recently visited Portland, OR, Port Townsend, WA, and Seattle (and few short stops in between) and absolutely fell in love with the area. We currently live in the NYC metropolitan area, so moving out to the Pacific NW would be a major change for us (my husband is originally from Ireland; I grew up WV and Ohio) and may not happen for a few more years because of his job. Still, I want some advice from all of you while the memory is still fresh in our minds. These are some of things we're looking for in a place to live: water (preferably water that we can swim, kayak in; we currently live on the Hudson River which can be beautiful but the possibility of pollutants keeps us out of it), a vibrant community, good schools (for when we do have kids), and proximity to a decent airport. Since my husband grew up in Dublin and I lived there briefly, we both know what it's like to live in a rainy climate, so it doesn't scare us away, though we'd like recommendations of towns/areas that are both in and out of the proverbial rain shadow. Thanks for your help, and I apologize if this is a repeat of anyone else's post.
Need Advice: Would love to live in Pacific Northwest
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Napa/Sonoma hotel confusion...please help
- 2 Where to add a few days in Colorado?
- 3 Boston, NYC or Chicago for 3rd weekend in March?
- 4 Charleston/Savannah/Asheville, 6 days enough?
- 5 Fort Myers Beach vs Naples Beach
- 6 Calf trip
- 7 New Orleans Trip Report - Dec. 2014
- 8 Tipping advice
- 9 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 10 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 11 Key West Hotel in January
- 12 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 13 Avis Car rental Loss Damage Waiver LDW Fraud
- 14 Seattle, Portland, and day trips all around
- 15 4 week family trip ideas
- 16 x mas
- 17 Trip to Niagara Falls
- 18 Florida in between stop 2 days after Key Largo towards St.pete
- 19 Help me plan a trip to Nashville and Memphis.
- 20 Restaurant in NYC advice
- 21 ny ers now living in nc taking their kids to nyc for first time
- 22 Uber and Airbnb-Insurance and Credentials
- 23 Marriott Marquis San Francisco
- 24 New Casual Italian/Pizza Restaurant, via Danny Meyer: MARTA
- 25 Stopover in MIAMI