My husband and I recently visited Portland, OR, Port Townsend, WA, and Seattle (and few short stops in between) and absolutely fell in love with the area. We currently live in the NYC metropolitan area, so moving out to the Pacific NW would be a major change for us (my husband is originally from Ireland; I grew up WV and Ohio) and may not happen for a few more years because of his job. Still, I want some advice from all of you while the memory is still fresh in our minds. These are some of things we're looking for in a place to live: water (preferably water that we can swim, kayak in; we currently live on the Hudson River which can be beautiful but the possibility of pollutants keeps us out of it), a vibrant community, good schools (for when we do have kids), and proximity to a decent airport. Since my husband grew up in Dublin and I lived there briefly, we both know what it's like to live in a rainy climate, so it doesn't scare us away, though we'd like recommendations of towns/areas that are both in and out of the proverbial rain shadow. Thanks for your help, and I apologize if this is a repeat of anyone else's post.
Need Advice: Would love to live in Pacific Northwest
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton itinerary - advice requested please!
- 2 10 day trip to California
- 3 Broken Bow, Oklahoma in the Fall
- 4 Oregon, Washington, Amtrak
- 5 Drive along the Columbia River
- 6 Boutique Hotels - NYC
- 7 Wine Country Picnic
- 8 New York City Taking First Steps Against Air BnB Members
- 9 DRIVING ACROSS COUNTRY EAST TO WEST MID MAY TO JUNE
- 10 Audio Driving Tour Big Island and Oahu
- 11 Hawaii Trip. Paradise Lost (Or At Least Misplaced)
- 12 Boston/Fenway park
- 13 Oregon to SF - avoid Coastal Route
- 14 Cabin Honeymoon Out West
- 15 Santa Fe advice needed (40th anniversary)
- 16 Dining Suggestions for the Baltimore/Annapolis Area?
- 17 Recommendations for four days in Las Vegas
- 18 AirBnB is illegal in San Francisco,
- 19 Where to go in Maine?
- 20 Magnificient, Marvelous Montana!
- 21 Timeshare Nightmares
- 22 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 23 Downtown Denver restaurant recommendation, please~
- 24 Where to stay with kids in Nashville
- 25 East Coast road trip from Boston to Washington DC