I'm beginning to plan a trip west for summer 2013. We live in Connecticut. My kids will be 15 and 11. We have about 24 days budgeted. My initial plan is to fly in to Salt Lake City, then drive north to the Tetons and Yellowstone, followed by a 13-hour drive to Tahoe before going to San Francisco, Monterey, Los Angeles and San Diego. From there we'd go to Vegas, Sedona, Grand Canyon, St. George and Zion or Bryce before returning to Salt Lake. Is this too ambitious a plan for 3+ weeks? It's about 3,100 miles not including driving at destinations. I don't see us getting back out west before my oldest heads to college, so I'm trying to pack everything in. Any advice for how many days to spend at each stop? I'd also love to see Yosemite, Monument Valley and Mesa Verde, but I don't think we have the time. Anything else we should scope out along the way?
Need advice for trip to west
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Aloha from Paradise (aka Kauai)
- 2 Stubhub and NFL Tickets
- 3 America's Quirkiest Towns -- Is that a good thing?
- 4 Best, most beautiful, unmissable sections of highway 1 on the CA coast
- 5 Road trip from Oakville to Vermont, Maine, Boston - too much in 7 days?
- 6 Chicago - Walk? Cab? Bus? From Soldier Field...
- 7 Balloon fest hotels
- 8 Newport, RI - What's it like?
- 9 Hawaii Trip - Maui, Kauai and Honolulu in 9 days
- 10 San Antonio suggestions anyone?
- 11 Disappointed with Hotwire for our Austin Rental Car
- 12 Kauai - Napali Coast - Air vs Water
- 13 Please help with daily details for Utah Park trip next month!
- 14 Transportation help in Philly
- 15 Orlando-off-the-beaten-track
- 16 Through Yellowstone to the OTO dude ranch
- 17 Hotels in North Philadelphia
- 18 New York Trip
- 19 San Fran to Las Vegas drive
- 20 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 21 Suggested Itinerary for Grand Canyon and Utah National Parks in two weeks
- 22 palm desert, CA
- 23 Where to add a few days in Colorado?
- 24 late-night DC restaurant
- 25 Philadelphia ?