I'm beginning to plan a trip west for summer 2013. We live in Connecticut. My kids will be 15 and 11. We have about 24 days budgeted. My initial plan is to fly in to Salt Lake City, then drive north to the Tetons and Yellowstone, followed by a 13-hour drive to Tahoe before going to San Francisco, Monterey, Los Angeles and San Diego. From there we'd go to Vegas, Sedona, Grand Canyon, St. George and Zion or Bryce before returning to Salt Lake. Is this too ambitious a plan for 3+ weeks? It's about 3,100 miles not including driving at destinations. I don't see us getting back out west before my oldest heads to college, so I'm trying to pack everything in. Any advice for how many days to spend at each stop? I'd also love to see Yosemite, Monument Valley and Mesa Verde, but I don't think we have the time. Anything else we should scope out along the way?
Need advice for trip to west
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 2 Tipping advice
- 3 7 things to do under $21 in Las Vegas
- 4 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 5 Fort Myers Beach vs Naples Beach
- 6 Hotel - Caesars Palace OR Signature @ MGM
- 7 Cheapest, best to get from San Fran Airport to Hotel in Fina. District?
- 8 Boston to Ohio, with visits to FDR Home and Fallingwater
- 9 2 or 3 nights in Hana
- 10 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 11 Maui - Need a Vegan-Friendly Restaurant Recommendation
- 12 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 13 West Maui Restaurants
- 14 San Diego Little Italy
- 15 Charleston/Savannah/Asheville, 6 days enough?
- 16 Hawaii Rental Cars - Book early
- 17 Queens, NY - Do not go
- 18 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 19 Lake Rabun Hotel
- 20 Key West Hotel in January
- 21 Healdsburg tips
- 22 Hawaii or Rio for male single traveler
- 23 Boston, NYC or Chicago for 3rd weekend in March?
- 24 los angeles restaurants
- 25 Where to add a few days in Colorado?