I'm beginning to plan a trip west for summer 2013. We live in Connecticut. My kids will be 15 and 11. We have about 24 days budgeted. My initial plan is to fly in to Salt Lake City, then drive north to the Tetons and Yellowstone, followed by a 13-hour drive to Tahoe before going to San Francisco, Monterey, Los Angeles and San Diego. From there we'd go to Vegas, Sedona, Grand Canyon, St. George and Zion or Bryce before returning to Salt Lake. Is this too ambitious a plan for 3+ weeks? It's about 3,100 miles not including driving at destinations. I don't see us getting back out west before my oldest heads to college, so I'm trying to pack everything in. Any advice for how many days to spend at each stop? I'd also love to see Yosemite, Monument Valley and Mesa Verde, but I don't think we have the time. Anything else we should scope out along the way?
Need advice for trip to west
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 moving to florida
- 2 Keystone, CO & area - inside activities?
- 3 vegas with two teens 13 & 14yo
- 4 Alaska railroad?
- 5 Driving from Denver to Aspen Oct. 2
- 6 Top Of the Rock Reservations
- 7 culpepper
- 8 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 9 NYC Clubs for live music
- 10 Mesa Verde
- 11 Yellowstone 3 day itinerary advice
- 12 Easiest US airports to get to/from with public transportation
- 13 Day Cruise from Whittier or Steward?
- 14 Is Fox Rent A Car any good?
- 15 Fear of driving in San Francisco/USA
- 16 Itinerary opinions
- 17 Calgary to Banff
- 18 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 19 Mesa Verde National Park - a Photo Album on Flickr
- 20 Another Californian Odyssey (June/July 2014)
- 21 Drive San Francisco to Yosemite - out of practice driving!
- 22 Santa Fe-Best Time of Year to Visit
- 23 Exploring Los Angeles with Tom (but not maitaitom)
- 24 Our perfect day in Key West
- 25 Chicago coffee shop/breakfast