15 nights on 3 islands.
Oahu followed by the Big Island followed by Kauai.
Looking for comments on timing, excursion recommendations and plans. What have we missed that is essential? What are we doing that will be a bust? I predict that snorkeling will be a hit for us so we may want lots of time doing that. Hmmm.... Any input is welcome.
We can be early risers and get a jump on the day. Then early to bed or play at night. Either way.
We're an energetic family w/two teenagers and we're used to GO GO GO.
Here we go...on day....
(2 nights Waikiki area; 3 nights near Kawela Bay; 2 nights Kona area; 3 nights Kapoho; 5 nights near Wailua. All accommodations and flights are aleady booked).
Other than the accommodations being booked, no scheduling is written in stone. Let me know your thoughts!
1. Arrive Honolulu; find hotel near Waikiki. Explore Waikiki Beach. Be mellow.
2. Get up early and take bus to USS Arizona and environs. Spend most the day there. Bus back to Waikiki and spend the afternoon lazying around.
3. GEt up early (again) and taxi to Diamond Head to hike it. Return to hotel, get gear (backpacks for everyone + one carry bag) then go and get a car.
Drive to Kawela Bay to find rental condo with stops at Punchbowl, Kapela Falls, Pali Lookout (more stops? Is this too many?)
4. Drive the big drive to Hanauma Bay first thing in the AM to try to beat the crowds and go snorkeling around. (our first Snorkeling experience; we'll bring gear with us). After that, maybe Koko Crater then drive the North Shore stopping at Byodo-In Temple. Mess around on our way back to the Kawela Bay area.
5. Morning hike on Kalalau Trail to beat the heat and cthe crowd. Maybe drive to Polynesian Cultural Center for the rest of the day and the 'Ha' show?
6. Early morning return to Honolulu to return the car and get to the airport to fly out by 11:00am to the Big Island. Pick up car at airport. Hit Costco for food/water supplies and settle in to Kona hotel for a 2-night stay. Drive North to poke around and see stuff. (ideas?). Pololu Lookout? Maybe a hike to Pololu beach?
7. Beach hopping/ lazying/ snorkeling?. Maybe a good long hike to Captain Cook Monunent to do some snorkeling? Other ideas in the area?
8. Drive to Kapoho to find rental bungalow. Drop gear and go to the National Park to find out about seeing lava flows either daytime or nighttime or both.
9. Drive the NE coast and ses kaumana Cave. Maybe Mauna Kea stargazing at night?
10. Norkeling the Kapoho Tide Pools in the AM or midday? More of the national park? How about the Makuu Farmers' market (this is Sunday)
11. Drive to Hilo and drop car to fly to Kauai. Arrive Kauai about 1:00pm. Drive to find condo. Explore.
12. Drive to the "End of the Road" at Ke'e beach and hike to Hanakapi'ai beach (4miles RT). Explore beaches and snorkeling opportunities on the way back 'home'.
13. Kayak up Wailua river to the park areas (recommendations?) Maybe the Smith Family Luau at night? Probably not this luau if we do the PCC one on Oahu. Maybe? Recommendations?
14. Drive to Kalalau Lookout and hike the Pihea Trail to the Alaka'i Swamp Trail and Kilhana Lookout (7.6m RT)? Recommendations?
15. Do whatever today. Lay on the beach? Revisit a place we liked? Get a snorkeling tour on the Na Pali coast? (Na Pali Coast touring recommendations REALLY wanted. Snorkeling off a catamaran? HElicopter? Fixed wing tour? Expense for fam of 4 is a consideration, but if AWESOME we'll spend the cash!.
16. Drive to airport and fly home in a state of vacation-induced exhaustion. AAAhhhh!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Rocky Mountaineer added to Cruise
- 2 San Francisco through Colorado Rockies
- 3 trip to Charlettesville VA
- 4 Suggestion on agenda for SF to Seattle
- 5 Recommendation: Beachfront in VA or MD walking distance to quaint downtown
- 6 Last minute trip to Boston w/ kids and car
- 7 New Software
- 8 How many days for Martha's Vineyard? And Cape Cod in general
- 9 Yellowstone and Tetons in July 2016
- 10 Attending a wedding on Nantucket !
- 11 3 week road trip South Carolina and Georgia
- 12 Road trip: Boston to Salt Lake City
- 13 Los Angeles Indefinitely
- 14 Rough (very) initial USA itinerary
- 15 Helpp JKF to lyndhurst NJ
- 16 Want to relocate out of Houston and maybe Texas. To NC or TN
- 17 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 18 Visiting Oregon - Portland to Crater Lake
- 19 Thinking of moving FROM Pittsburgh TO Seattle
- 20 Aussie family heading to the US for the first time
- 21 Lake Tahoe hotel with a lake view
- 22 September trip Portland/Seattle
- 23 Help Planning Zion/Bryce Itinerary
- 24 Boston waterfront Italian
- 25 Last minute Maine/New Hampshire trip
15 nights on 3 islands.