I am heading to NYC with my sister and niece (from London) next week, and have had very little time to plan – mea culpa!
I am overwhelmed, and asking for your assistance. Frankly, I could spend the entire week in the museums and art galleries, but also want to spend time with my family, who have other interests.
I can probably manage 3-4 half-days in the museums. Therefore, I have narrowed the selection down to the Metropolitan Museum, the MOMA and the Guggenheim. If you think I am missing a ‘must see’, please call it out!
I live in London, therefore have access to the British Museum, National Gallery, Victoria and Albert museums, which I visit regularly and know every corner. I have also visited museums and galleries all over Europe & elsewhere – Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Istanbul, Paris, Cairo to name just a few. We are interested in history, art, design, fashion, decorative arts and photography.
I want to get the best out of the time I spend in these museums. Can you please advise if you think I am making the best choices?
Metropolitan Museum sections (probably too much?):
- Ancient Near Eastern Art (because of recent reading on the Golden Crescent)
- Asian Art (my BIL is Chinese, so my sister and niece will appreciate this)
- Egyptian Art (its a life-long passion)
- The Robert Lehman Collection (Sister and I will enjoy the decorative aspect)
- Photographs (I am fascinated by the capture of life in the recent past)
- Architecture and Design (Both Sister and I will enjoy this)
- Photography (Both Sister and I will enjoy this)
- The building itself
- Highlights of the collection
- The exhibition ‘Abstraction between the wars’
Many thanks in advance of your assistance.
Best regards.... Ger
Museums/Art Galleries in NYC: Advice needed
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 East Coast trip including DC, New York and surrounding areas.
- 2 best area to stay in san diego
- 3 San Francisco-Coventry Inn??
- 4 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour
- 5 Do I need to buy tickets in advance for Chicago Art Institute?
- 6 Santa Barbara Itinerary Help Needed
- 7 Scouting trip for possible move to SoCal -- advice on itin, please
- 8 Vegas hotels for families
- 9 Finally!!! Santa Fe/ Albuquerque Family Christmas Break 2014
- 10 Studio-size Apartments, Guest Houses for rent, Ojai and Ventura
- 11 A weekend in Boston area with Friends (including 2 teenagers)
- 12 Lake Tahoe to Yosemite: advice needed
- 13 Two airports to choose from?
- 14 Palm Desert California recommendations for dining
- 15 Beaufort, NC or Wilmington, NC?
- 16 Sonoma and Napa Wine Country - How bad is it after the quake?
- 17 San Francisco - mid October
- 18 A few NYC questions about 9/11 memorial tours and more.
- 19 Key West Dry Tortugas
- 20 Part Three of an 18 Day RV trip - Seward
- 21 Pizza Recs in the Bronx Area
- 22 Where to go to hear good Hawaiian Music in Kauai?
- 23 layover
- 24 Which cross-country route, I-40 or I-80?
- 25 Part Four of an 18 Day RV trip - Homer