I am heading to NYC with my sister and niece (from London) next week, and have had very little time to plan – mea culpa!
I am overwhelmed, and asking for your assistance. Frankly, I could spend the entire week in the museums and art galleries, but also want to spend time with my family, who have other interests.
I can probably manage 3-4 half-days in the museums. Therefore, I have narrowed the selection down to the Metropolitan Museum, the MOMA and the Guggenheim. If you think I am missing a ‘must see’, please call it out!
I live in London, therefore have access to the British Museum, National Gallery, Victoria and Albert museums, which I visit regularly and know every corner. I have also visited museums and galleries all over Europe & elsewhere – Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Istanbul, Paris, Cairo to name just a few. We are interested in history, art, design, fashion, decorative arts and photography.
I want to get the best out of the time I spend in these museums. Can you please advise if you think I am making the best choices?
Metropolitan Museum sections (probably too much?):
- Ancient Near Eastern Art (because of recent reading on the Golden Crescent)
- Asian Art (my BIL is Chinese, so my sister and niece will appreciate this)
- Egyptian Art (its a life-long passion)
- The Robert Lehman Collection (Sister and I will enjoy the decorative aspect)
- Photographs (I am fascinated by the capture of life in the recent past)
- Architecture and Design (Both Sister and I will enjoy this)
- Photography (Both Sister and I will enjoy this)
- The building itself
- Highlights of the collection
- The exhibition ‘Abstraction between the wars’
Many thanks in advance of your assistance.
Best regards.... Ger
Museums/Art Galleries in NYC: Advice needed
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Friendship, fiddling, and freezing in Boston
- 2 LA with 12-year old granddaughter
- 3 Specific Hotel & Activity Help Seattle - Sheraton or Switch?
- 4 Zion the narrows
- 5 Seattle Transportation??
- 6 Car Rental - NYC help me figure out logistics
- 7 Cabin in Asheville area
- 8 New England Family Trip - August
- 9 Tahoe - Yosemite Spring Hiking Trip Advice
- 10 Anyone familiar with America Car Rental?
- 11 Twenty Nine Palms to Dana Point, CA
- 12 Cell phone service in Moab
- 13 San Juan Islands... cruise question
- 14 Advice on Roadtrip
- 15 16 Days in Utah and Colorado with Our 2 Young Boys!
- 16 2 weeks in California++ in April - Need suggestions on itinerary
- 17 Glacier, Yellowstone, Teton Road Trip
- 18 Favorite Casual D.C. Restaurants?
- 19 Drive from San Francisco to Seattle
- 20 Lake Las Vegas Hotels Properties: Any favorites?
- 21 Mendocino - Sonoma
- 22 New Orleans - good side trip in a car?
- 23 Girls Weekend Trip to Sarasota/Tampa Florida Area
- 24 Another Trip to DC for baseball!
- 25 Old Town Alexandria Restaurants?