I am heading to NYC with my sister and niece (from London) next week, and have had very little time to plan – mea culpa!
I am overwhelmed, and asking for your assistance. Frankly, I could spend the entire week in the museums and art galleries, but also want to spend time with my family, who have other interests.
I can probably manage 3-4 half-days in the museums. Therefore, I have narrowed the selection down to the Metropolitan Museum, the MOMA and the Guggenheim. If you think I am missing a ‘must see’, please call it out!
I live in London, therefore have access to the British Museum, National Gallery, Victoria and Albert museums, which I visit regularly and know every corner. I have also visited museums and galleries all over Europe & elsewhere – Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Istanbul, Paris, Cairo to name just a few. We are interested in history, art, design, fashion, decorative arts and photography.
I want to get the best out of the time I spend in these museums. Can you please advise if you think I am making the best choices?
Metropolitan Museum sections (probably too much?):
- Ancient Near Eastern Art (because of recent reading on the Golden Crescent)
- Asian Art (my BIL is Chinese, so my sister and niece will appreciate this)
- Egyptian Art (its a life-long passion)
- The Robert Lehman Collection (Sister and I will enjoy the decorative aspect)
- Photographs (I am fascinated by the capture of life in the recent past)
- Architecture and Design (Both Sister and I will enjoy this)
- Photography (Both Sister and I will enjoy this)
- The building itself
- Highlights of the collection
- The exhibition ‘Abstraction between the wars’
Many thanks in advance of your assistance.
Best regards.... Ger
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 SAN FRANCISCO Columbus Weekend Week
- 2 Mid September New England trip itinerary
- 3 Cannon Beach or Manzanita
- 4 DC/MD/VA GTG in the Fall, Lunch on Oct. 3
- 5 SEPTA system in Philadelphia
- 6 Trip Advice Sought Southwest Trip
- 7 A week in NYC - first timers
- 8 Boston restaurants
- 9 Itinerary Critique
- 10 Covered parking outside Boston and near public transportation
- 11 Tucson in February
- 12 Ideas for New Orleans trip
- 13 Road trip Miami to Maine May/June 2016
- 14 Self drive from Mt Rushmore to Denver
- 15 Lets each do a post
- 16 Relative Merits of Living in Various Areas in LA
- 17 Stops in Vermont/Southern NH
- 18 Help with visit for a month!!
- 19 Studio-size Apartments, Guest Houses for rent, Ojai and Ventura
- 20 Philadelphia Airport to Independence Hall
- 21 Need help planning Arizona & California Desert trip in March
- 22 Chicago to Appleton, WI how to....
- 23 FLA testing the waters
- 24 Planning Monet/Matisse visit to Cleveland Museum of Art
- 25 Our first trip to Hawaii