I am heading to NYC with my sister and niece (from London) next week, and have had very little time to plan – mea culpa!
I am overwhelmed, and asking for your assistance. Frankly, I could spend the entire week in the museums and art galleries, but also want to spend time with my family, who have other interests.
I can probably manage 3-4 half-days in the museums. Therefore, I have narrowed the selection down to the Metropolitan Museum, the MOMA and the Guggenheim. If you think I am missing a ‘must see’, please call it out!
I live in London, therefore have access to the British Museum, National Gallery, Victoria and Albert museums, which I visit regularly and know every corner. I have also visited museums and galleries all over Europe & elsewhere – Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Istanbul, Paris, Cairo to name just a few. We are interested in history, art, design, fashion, decorative arts and photography.
I want to get the best out of the time I spend in these museums. Can you please advise if you think I am making the best choices?
Metropolitan Museum sections (probably too much?):
- Ancient Near Eastern Art (because of recent reading on the Golden Crescent)
- Asian Art (my BIL is Chinese, so my sister and niece will appreciate this)
- Egyptian Art (its a life-long passion)
- The Robert Lehman Collection (Sister and I will enjoy the decorative aspect)
- Photographs (I am fascinated by the capture of life in the recent past)
- Architecture and Design (Both Sister and I will enjoy this)
- Photography (Both Sister and I will enjoy this)
- The building itself
- Highlights of the collection
- The exhibition ‘Abstraction between the wars’
Many thanks in advance of your assistance.
Best regards.... Ger
Museums/Art Galleries in NYC: Advice needed
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 ideas for pacific coast drive (CA)
- 2 Fall vacation in Colorado
- 3 Road Trip SW
- 4 Pacific Coast Hwy 10 days
- 5 Chicago trip
- 6 NYC IN AUGUST
- 7 Help w/ River Cruise Company-OH to Mississippi-end@New Orleans-Fall 2014
- 8 culpepper
- 9 Zion Narrows - Relatively Easy / Suitable for Older Folks?
- 10 Hiking Arches or Canyonlands National Park in fall?
- 11 San Fran to Las Vegas drive
- 12 Fancy dining
- 13 I want to visit the india particular north east india ?
- 14 Hotel near Miami airport
- 15 Lake Tahoe to Yosemite: advice needed
- 16 Will have five days in Savannah
- 17 Driving the BRP.....Virginia or North Carolina?
- 18 Trip Report: New York City July 25-27, 2014
- 19 Day Cruise from Whittier or Steward?
- 20 Itinerary opinions
- 21 Atascadero -> Pacific Grove -> San Francisco
- 22 Vegas - Grand Canyon - Tucson
- 23 Relocating Tips - Mild Weather, Good Schools, Low Cost of Living
- 24 Los Angeles itinerary for August trip
- 25 Santa Barbara, California