I am heading to NYC with my sister and niece (from London) next week, and have had very little time to plan – mea culpa!
I am overwhelmed, and asking for your assistance. Frankly, I could spend the entire week in the museums and art galleries, but also want to spend time with my family, who have other interests.
I can probably manage 3-4 half-days in the museums. Therefore, I have narrowed the selection down to the Metropolitan Museum, the MOMA and the Guggenheim. If you think I am missing a ‘must see’, please call it out!
I live in London, therefore have access to the British Museum, National Gallery, Victoria and Albert museums, which I visit regularly and know every corner. I have also visited museums and galleries all over Europe & elsewhere – Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Istanbul, Paris, Cairo to name just a few. We are interested in history, art, design, fashion, decorative arts and photography.
I want to get the best out of the time I spend in these museums. Can you please advise if you think I am making the best choices?
Metropolitan Museum sections (probably too much?):
- Ancient Near Eastern Art (because of recent reading on the Golden Crescent)
- Asian Art (my BIL is Chinese, so my sister and niece will appreciate this)
- Egyptian Art (its a life-long passion)
- The Robert Lehman Collection (Sister and I will enjoy the decorative aspect)
- Photographs (I am fascinated by the capture of life in the recent past)
- Architecture and Design (Both Sister and I will enjoy this)
- Photography (Both Sister and I will enjoy this)
- The building itself
- Highlights of the collection
- The exhibition ‘Abstraction between the wars’
Many thanks in advance of your assistance.
Best regards.... Ger
Museums/Art Galleries in NYC: Advice needed
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Car rentals- San Francisco
- 2 Portland to San Fransisco in 7 days in mid March
- 3 Disappointed with Budget Car Rental Las Vegas
- 4 Friendship, fiddling, and freezing in Boston
- 5 Prince of Wales or Many Glacier? WHY?
- 6 Las Vegas in March
- 7 Just started to plan my Mid-March visit to Alaska!
- 8 Where is the best shrimp on Oahu
- 9 Hotel: Union Sq. or Fisherman's Wharf?
- 10 September Long Weekend in SW Colorado
- 11 Clearwater visit.
- 12 Centrally located hotel in Philadelphia
- 13 Glacier National Park 10 Days
- 14 2nd Trip to Alaska, Looking for some off the beaten path suggestions
- 15 Bear Viewing in Alaska in early June... Any cost effective recommendations?
- 16 hotels near Denali
- 17 Dessert with a view in Monterey?
- 18 Jersey Shore to NYC?
- 19 Suggested route for National Park's drive, starting in Glacier NP.........
- 20 Lunch on the Turquoise Trail
- 21 Utah 2
- 22 9 Day Itinerary in NOLA
- 23 Road Trip From Miami to New York, Ideas please!
- 24 Chicago - Girl Scout Itinerary
- 25 GTG in Los Angeles March 17 or 18