I am heading to NYC with my sister and niece (from London) next week, and have had very little time to plan – mea culpa!
I am overwhelmed, and asking for your assistance. Frankly, I could spend the entire week in the museums and art galleries, but also want to spend time with my family, who have other interests.
I can probably manage 3-4 half-days in the museums. Therefore, I have narrowed the selection down to the Metropolitan Museum, the MOMA and the Guggenheim. If you think I am missing a ‘must see’, please call it out!
I live in London, therefore have access to the British Museum, National Gallery, Victoria and Albert museums, which I visit regularly and know every corner. I have also visited museums and galleries all over Europe & elsewhere – Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Istanbul, Paris, Cairo to name just a few. We are interested in history, art, design, fashion, decorative arts and photography.
I want to get the best out of the time I spend in these museums. Can you please advise if you think I am making the best choices?
Metropolitan Museum sections (probably too much?):
- Ancient Near Eastern Art (because of recent reading on the Golden Crescent)
- Asian Art (my BIL is Chinese, so my sister and niece will appreciate this)
- Egyptian Art (its a life-long passion)
- The Robert Lehman Collection (Sister and I will enjoy the decorative aspect)
- Photographs (I am fascinated by the capture of life in the recent past)
- Architecture and Design (Both Sister and I will enjoy this)
- Photography (Both Sister and I will enjoy this)
- The building itself
- Highlights of the collection
- The exhibition ‘Abstraction between the wars’
Many thanks in advance of your assistance.
Best regards.... Ger
Museums/Art Galleries in NYC: Advice needed
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Rapid City to Yellowstone Route
- 2 Ideas for a family on a roadtrip around Denver and Utah
- 3 Deep South sept 2015
- 4 Self guided White House tour
- 5 Seattle in July: Warwick or Maxwell hotel
- 6 Northwest USA
- 7 middlebury vt snow
- 8 A Napa Valley Reprise: Mom turns the big 5-0!
- 9 Kauai - day trips to North shore and Waimea Canyon/Kokee State Park
- 10 More than one hotel at Disney World?
- 11 Help with Moab itinerary for an overacheiver
- 12 Caklifornia & Oregon
- 13 New York City- Henri Matisse Cutouts at MOMA
- 14 Portland, OR hotel question
- 15 Santa Fe Area Hiking Early June - 3 full days.
- 16 san diego or nearby area
- 17 Bar Harbor Maine or Mystic Connecticut in August.
- 18 Texas
- 19 Los Angeles day trips
- 20 Road trip to the Deep South revisited......itinerary for your perusal
- 21 Mother/Daughter Trip to NYC
- 22 Atlantic coast and mountain vacation
- 23 Photos from Texas Christmas Road Trip
- 24 Omni Orlando Resort Champions Gate
- 25 Charleston, SC Hotels