I had posted before and we are now definitely planning for next summer so we have time to book. I went thru al l he pros and cons of keeping Mt Rushmore in. Everyone (11 people in total) want to do it so here is what I managed to come up with. Everyone is a good traveller and we will probably end up renting 3 cars. We know the trip will be a lot of driving. Please help make any changes. I am most confused as to how to split up the YNP portion.
Day 1 – Rapid City, South Dakota; Travel day-arrive in AM
Day 2 – Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore; Custer State Park
Day 3-Badlands National Park (3 nights at Mt Rushmore/Rapid City Area)
Day 4-Drive to Billings; see Little Bighorn Battlefield on way (Billings-1 night)
Day 5-Cody, enter YNP, see Old Faithful (OF Inn-2 nights)
Day 6-YNP and Mammouth Springs-Upper Loop
Day 7-Lower loop (1 night Canyon or Lake Hotel)
Day 8-Drive to Grand Teton NP-full day (Roosevelt Lodge-2 nights)
Day 9-full day Sun-fly home
Mt Rushmore Yellowstone and GTNP
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Salt Lake City
- 2 Honeymoon - Maui and Oahu for first timers Oct 2014
- 3 Kinky Boots and Pippin. Fodor reviews
- 4 First family ski trip
- 5 Yes it's March, but let's talk Christmas destinations!
- 6 Grand Circle & Wyoming
- 7 Need an interesting place for one night near Memphis
- 8 Your Help with Must Sees in Southern Arizona
- 9 Locker at JFK
- 10 Suggestions? Family of four that like National Parks
- 11 San Diego grocery stores
- 12 Philly sports fans: bar needed...and running route.
- 13 Best places to move to Florida?
- 14 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 15 travel up the coast from San Franciso to Seattle
- 16 Question about Miami travel
- 17 Buy GoPro Hero3
- 18 Key Largo, FL
- 19 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 20 Nude Beaches- Positive or Negative Experience?
- 21 San Antonio Airport Taxi to Majestic... and Food Suggestions??
- 22 Your favorite Glacier NP lodging and itinerary help
- 23 driving from San Francisco to Seattle
- 24 West Coast Bound End of March
- 25 Help with Northeast vacation strategy