We are exploring the possibility of relocating from the suburbs of the Twin Cities, MN out to the DC area. The job itself is in DC, however, we are looking for housing and school recommendations within the MD or VA areas (not in DC proper). We would move as soon as school ends in June.
Academics - HIGH Importance:
We have two very bright kids who are in the gifted and talented programs here in MN. Our schools are typically ranked very high in the education system, and it is important for us to find public (private is not affordable to us) schools with high academics that are safe and within a reasonable area of our jobs. I've read enough to know we wouldn't have our kids attend school in DC.
Kids are 11 and 9 - our 11 year old is going into 6th grade but has just completed a full year of enriched 5th grade which essentially taught him 6th grade academics and some 7th grade math. His goal is to attend MIT. Our 9 year old will be in fourth grade but can already perform reading and math at that level and also participates in G&T pull-out groups. So, schools are a huge consideration for us, given the academic options we have where we are now.
We would need to learn about the transit system - we don't have metros here so we all drive everywhere. Would prefer not to drive if it saves time and $ there.
Budget - Rental short-term / Affordable 3 BR / dog-friendly:
Not knowing what to expect for budget and cola, we aren't sure what options are available. We prefer the least expensive options and 3 bedrooms ideally for a rental to start. Must be dog-friendly (one big dog and one small dog) and would like an area that has housing options for a MIL apartment or for my mother to live nearby (she will move with us).
Thanks in advance for ideas and suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 MS OUTLOOK@ Password Reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Tec*h cAre 24/7
- 2 Roadtrippin on Route 66
- 3 Yosemite vs. Yellowstone
- 4 Maine Lobster Rolls
- 5 florida gulf coast
- 6 6 Days in California - Advice Needed for first timer!
- 7 Maui, early August
- 8 Tioga Pass opening this week!
- 9 Nevada and California: Vegas/SF/Monterey
- 10 Hotel Choice Chicago: Loop or Magnificent Mile?
- 11 Road trip advice needed please
- 12 Willamette Valley to PDX--what are the options?
- 13 Is this too Ambitious? Utah parks & Grand Canyon
- 14 Where to take mom for 70th birthday?
- 15 Week of July 4th in Hamptons. First-timer, bday dinner...
- 16 Day hikes in Yosemite for family of 4 (2 teens)
- 17 Best Vegas hotel with 12 & 15 year olds
- 18 New Jersey Shore - Neptune
- 19 Where to stay - Yosemite, Sequoia, Zion - late July
- 20 San Francisco Hotel With Car
- 21 Fort Lauderdale to New York
- 22 1 week NE Fall trip (ME, VT, NY..)
- 23 Family Trip advice please?!
- 24 San Francisco, Yosemite, Carmel
- 25 Montana from Salt Lake City: Help!