We are exploring the possibility of relocating from the suburbs of the Twin Cities, MN out to the DC area. The job itself is in DC, however, we are looking for housing and school recommendations within the MD or VA areas (not in DC proper). We would move as soon as school ends in June.
Academics - HIGH Importance:
We have two very bright kids who are in the gifted and talented programs here in MN. Our schools are typically ranked very high in the education system, and it is important for us to find public (private is not affordable to us) schools with high academics that are safe and within a reasonable area of our jobs. I've read enough to know we wouldn't have our kids attend school in DC.
Kids are 11 and 9 - our 11 year old is going into 6th grade but has just completed a full year of enriched 5th grade which essentially taught him 6th grade academics and some 7th grade math. His goal is to attend MIT. Our 9 year old will be in fourth grade but can already perform reading and math at that level and also participates in G&T pull-out groups. So, schools are a huge consideration for us, given the academic options we have where we are now.
We would need to learn about the transit system - we don't have metros here so we all drive everywhere. Would prefer not to drive if it saves time and $ there.
Budget - Rental short-term / Affordable 3 BR / dog-friendly:
Not knowing what to expect for budget and cola, we aren't sure what options are available. We prefer the least expensive options and 3 bedrooms ideally for a rental to start. Must be dog-friendly (one big dog and one small dog) and would like an area that has housing options for a MIL apartment or for my mother to live nearby (she will move with us).
Thanks in advance for ideas and suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Seattle to San Francisco
- 2 Welltravbrit's Ongoing NYC Jaunt
- 3 How can the weather report be so wrong?
- 4 San Francisco and Napa
- 5 Miami to West Palm Beach tomorrow!
- 6 Dry Tortugas, Ferry or SeaPlane
- 7 Relocating to the Deep South
- 8 Modern, clean Miami Airport hotel ???
- 9 Bagging a bargain on Black Friday?
- 10 Utah: Southern Parks Itinerary Help
- 11 Warren & Annbelle's Maui
- 12 Philadelphia PA: Safe Place/Watched Lot to Leave Car Near NYC Bus Depot
- 13 What should a foreigner know about the US?
- 14 Budget hotel San Francisco
- 15 Budget NYC hotel
- 16 2.5 days in New York. Are hotels the only option?
- 17 Timeshare on Cape Cod
- 18 OUR MANHATTAN ADVENTURE 2015
- 19 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 20 Best place for first night; Beach?
- 21 Will be in Palm Springs CA November 14-29, 2015
- 22 Seattle to Los Angeles Dec 2015
- 23 Vegas-Arizona-Utah road Trip
- 24 Traveling to bend ore via hwy 5 fron SF in early January
- 25 Security at Lucas Oil Stadium for Big Ten Championship