Hello, My DH and I are planning a trip to California in September with three friends from Australia. We are seniors, and somewhat timid drivers. We have a 7 day bus tour planned, beginning and ending in San Francisco. However, it does not include Hearst Castle which we would all like to see. We thought we would ditch the bus tour in Monterrey, the last day of the tour, rent a car and drive to Hearst Castle and then drive back to San Francisco. However, a lot of reviews have mentioned that although it is a gorgeous drive, it is a bit treacherous. One review mentioned driving along the edge of the cliff! We don't mind winding roads, but not too keen on high narrow bridges or cliff edges!! Our guests are the same age as we are, and also accustomed to driving on the left side of the road so no help there. Just how scary is this road?
Monterrey to Hearst Castle, timid drivers?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Central Park Fall Foliage
- 2 Historic Houses & Sites near Charleston & Savannah.
- 3 Another Californian Odyssey (June/July 2014)
- 4 Atascadero -> Pacific Grove -> San Francisco
- 5 Trip Report: New York City July 25-27, 2014
- 6 Fear of driving in San Francisco/USA
- 7 vegas with two teens 13 & 14yo
- 8 Amtrak Train from California to Oregon or Washington
- 9 San Fran to Las Vegas drive
- 10 Los Angeles itinerary for August trip
- 11 Day trip to CT from NYC
- 12 A weekend escape around cooperstown ny
- 13 Road Trip SW
- 14 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 15 California road trip
- 16 Seattle, Portland, and day trips all around
- 17 Keystone, CO & area - inside activities?
- 18 Hiking Arches or Canyonlands National Park in fall?
- 19 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
- 20 Kauai -- Music Lovers!!!
- 21 Gulf Shores Restaurants
- 22 Yosemite Fire
- 23 Lodging - Yosemite
- 24 3 weeks covering SF, Monterey, Lake Isabella, Las Vegas and LA (Disney)
- 25 Mesa Verde National Park - a Photo Album on Flickr