Hello, My DH and I are planning a trip to California in September with three friends from Australia. We are seniors, and somewhat timid drivers. We have a 7 day bus tour planned, beginning and ending in San Francisco. However, it does not include Hearst Castle which we would all like to see. We thought we would ditch the bus tour in Monterrey, the last day of the tour, rent a car and drive to Hearst Castle and then drive back to San Francisco. However, a lot of reviews have mentioned that although it is a gorgeous drive, it is a bit treacherous. One review mentioned driving along the edge of the cliff! We don't mind winding roads, but not too keen on high narrow bridges or cliff edges!! Our guests are the same age as we are, and also accustomed to driving on the left side of the road so no help there. Just how scary is this road?
Monterrey to Hearst Castle, timid drivers?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Best Glacier viewing (by boat) from Seward or Whittier
- 2 2 Days in Portland - Best of?
- 3 New York City Taking First Steps Against Air BnB Members
- 4 San Diego
- 5 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 6 Family Camp in Maine
- 7 Spring Has Officially Sprung in Central Park
- 8 New York City Restaurants
- 9 3 Days in Denver area- want to hike and bike, stay in Boulder or Denver?
- 10 Downtown Denver restaurant recommendation, please~
- 11 Chicago Architectural River Tours - which one for us?
- 12 Trip Report: An Intoxicating Birthday Day-Trip in Napa
- 13 Seattle to Los Angeles and back . . . ideas for family stopping places?
- 14 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 15 Santa Fe advice needed (40th anniversary)
- 16 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 17 Phoenix restaurants
- 18 Advice on a Hamptons Day Trip
- 19 Travel West Coast
- 20 Timeshare Nightmares
- 21 Which NYC subway should I take?
- 22 Helicopter tours from Vegas to Grand Canyon
- 23 Where to stay with kids in Nashville
- 24 East Coast road trip from Boston to Washington DC
- 25 Brooklyn why?