Hello, My DH and I are planning a trip to California in September with three friends from Australia. We are seniors, and somewhat timid drivers. We have a 7 day bus tour planned, beginning and ending in San Francisco. However, it does not include Hearst Castle which we would all like to see. We thought we would ditch the bus tour in Monterrey, the last day of the tour, rent a car and drive to Hearst Castle and then drive back to San Francisco. However, a lot of reviews have mentioned that although it is a gorgeous drive, it is a bit treacherous. One review mentioned driving along the edge of the cliff! We don't mind winding roads, but not too keen on high narrow bridges or cliff edges!! Our guests are the same age as we are, and also accustomed to driving on the left side of the road so no help there. Just how scary is this road?
Monterrey to Hearst Castle, timid drivers?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Commute from Kailua Kona to Hilo - doable?
- 2 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 3 Seattle TrainingTrip March 17, q's
- 4 Great Smokies - Seasonal Closings
- 5 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 6 New Yorkers,,,Yea!!
- 7 San Diego parks and attractions
- 8 NYC theatre broadway
- 9 Lunch somewhere between Arlington and Roanoke VA?
- 10 Laguna Beach, what to do
- 11 Other places like Chautauqua Institution
- 12 Planning family gathering in Sedona
- 13 Dividing time in Grand Canyon
- 14 Visiting Denver
- 15 Stony Point, NC to Richmond, VA and surrounding areas... help, please!
- 16 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 17 HELP WITH FALL TRIP PLAN!!
- 18 Where to eat lunch in Washington, D.C.?
- 19 Chigo O'Hare layover
- 20 Quiet hotel room in University district?
- 21 Visiting Denver
- 22 travel up the coast from San Franciso to Seattle
- 23 Feedback on Palm Springs with Kids Itinerary
- 24 Door County Suggestions
- 25 First family ski trip