Hello, My DH and I are planning a trip to California in September with three friends from Australia. We are seniors, and somewhat timid drivers. We have a 7 day bus tour planned, beginning and ending in San Francisco. However, it does not include Hearst Castle which we would all like to see. We thought we would ditch the bus tour in Monterrey, the last day of the tour, rent a car and drive to Hearst Castle and then drive back to San Francisco. However, a lot of reviews have mentioned that although it is a gorgeous drive, it is a bit treacherous. One review mentioned driving along the edge of the cliff! We don't mind winding roads, but not too keen on high narrow bridges or cliff edges!! Our guests are the same age as we are, and also accustomed to driving on the left side of the road so no help there. Just how scary is this road?
Monterrey to Hearst Castle, timid drivers?
View all United States activity »
- 1 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 2 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 3 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 4 San Antonio
- 5 hotel near Met NYC
- 6 Key West on NYE
- 7 Historic District Hotel, St. Augustine, Florida, February
- 8 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 9 Any additions to my general plan for 2 night stay in Jacksonville (no car)?
- 10 Disney Florida - Which parks to go for 1.5 days?
- 11 Ft. Stewart/Savannah
- 12 Traveling the U.S. by car for a long time!
- 13 If you drive through Greensboro during holiday time....
- 14 The impossible dream: Bypassing I-95 between DC and Richmond
- 15 suewoo and any other Charleston, SC experts
- 16 Eataly in Chicago -- Coming Soon!
- 17 Long Weekend in KY: Bourbon Trail and Mammoth Cave
- 18 Hotel near Public Theater
- 19 How much would it cost to have dental implants done in India?
- 20 Hollywood with 17yr old son
- 21 How to safely transport a newborn baby in downtown Chicago without your own car?
- 22 Oahu Information
- 23 Charlotte Area Suggestions
- 24 Wailea Maui Restaurants
- 25 Best Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas 14 and 11 yo boys?