Please excuse my intrusion. I am planning a trip in January and would like some information about the feasibility of the following route:
1/23/2012: Minneapolis, MN to Miles City, MT (695 mi, 10.8 hours at 65 mph)
1/24/2012: Miles City, MT to Spokane, WA (684 mi, 10.75 hours at 65 mph)
There will be three drivers, all of whom have experience driving in inclement weather in Massachusetts but are unfamiliar with driving in North Dakota and Montana. My questions are as follows:
1. Given the weather conditions toward the end of January in North Dakota and Montana, how likely is it that inclement weather will result in portions of I-94/I-90 being closed or will necessitate driving at reduced speed on the above route, and for which portions of the route are these possibilities more likely?
2. Given the weather conditions toward the end of January in North Dakota and Montana, what are reasonable time estimates for each portion of the above route in the best case, average case, and worst case? To state the obvious, no one can predict the future, but I would appreciate advice from those with experience.
3. Other than using the appropriate tires and paying close attention to road condition reports from the Department of Transportation in each state, does anyone have any other advice regarding the above route?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 1st Visit to USA with kids in Jul-Aug, SFO,LA,SD & LAS - 21 days. Need Help
- 2 Portland-Seattle and lots more: Itinerary comments requested
- 3 New Orleans/long weekend in September
- 4 Crested Butte lodging suggestions...summer
- 5 Driving from central Florida to Napa CA
- 6 Lodge at Torrey Pines or Hilton Torrey Pines?
- 7 Badlands, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, etc. 2016 trip - Need suggestions
- 8 San Francisco Itinerary help
- 9 Driving cross country tips
- 10 Help with first time
- 11 Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire in October
- 12 Atlanta Airport
- 13 Crowd levels in Pigeon Forge/Sevierville
- 14 New York City never gets Old! A long "Christmasy" weekend.
- 15 Cape Cod in September with toddler
- 16 Road Trip From IA to Niagara Falls
- 17 Thousand Islands - Must Dos
- 18 San Francisco to Monterey Bay Time?
- 19 Best Fly-fishing in July
- 20 Discounted Rental Car?
- 21 2-day pass through trip in Glacier & Waterton National Park
- 22 A day at Franconia Notch State Park and White Mountain National Forest
- 23 Boston thru New Hampshire to Quebec City
- 24 Colorado Winter Wedding Venue
- 25 Best City/Place to stopover between Seattle & San Francisco
Minneapolis to Spokane in late January: What should I expect?