Please excuse my intrusion. I am planning a trip in January and would like some information about the feasibility of the following route:
1/23/2012: Minneapolis, MN to Miles City, MT (695 mi, 10.8 hours at 65 mph)
1/24/2012: Miles City, MT to Spokane, WA (684 mi, 10.75 hours at 65 mph)
There will be three drivers, all of whom have experience driving in inclement weather in Massachusetts but are unfamiliar with driving in North Dakota and Montana. My questions are as follows:
1. Given the weather conditions toward the end of January in North Dakota and Montana, how likely is it that inclement weather will result in portions of I-94/I-90 being closed or will necessitate driving at reduced speed on the above route, and for which portions of the route are these possibilities more likely?
2. Given the weather conditions toward the end of January in North Dakota and Montana, what are reasonable time estimates for each portion of the above route in the best case, average case, and worst case? To state the obvious, no one can predict the future, but I would appreciate advice from those with experience.
3. Other than using the appropriate tires and paying close attention to road condition reports from the Department of Transportation in each state, does anyone have any other advice regarding the above route?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Restaurant Recommendations mid-city Manhattan
- 2 Las Vegas Vacation
- 3 LA! Active, FUN couple - area to stay/itenerary
- 4 Savannah and Charleston over New Years.
- 5 moving to Florida
- 6 2016/17 Ski Season Opens
- 7 Arizona in winter
- 8 Warmth in December without Zika??
- 9 Washington DC Trip in December with Small Children
- 10 Advertising Sublets in NYC Now Illegal - Air BnB Has Pulled Listings
- 11 DC restaurant report
- 12 Eastern California Winter Roadtrip
- 13 Travel in Houston and surrounding area
- 14 Trip Report: San Francisco, Monterey, Wine Country
- 15 The famous SF -> Seattle road trip
- 16 Northern California Redwoods
- 17 Southwestern Virginia Ideas?
- 18 Smoky Mountains Honeymoon
- 19 East Tennesee to mohonk.
- 20 Neue Galerie
- 21 SF with school-age kids -- too much to choose!
- 22 Thoughts on our Palm Springs Plans
- 23 Polynesian Cultural Centre
- 24 Philadelphia - Safe?
- 25 SF-Yosemite-Monterey Peninsula
Minneapolis to Spokane in late January: What should I expect?