Please excuse my intrusion. I am planning a trip in January and would like some information about the feasibility of the following route:
1/23/2012: Minneapolis, MN to Miles City, MT (695 mi, 10.8 hours at 65 mph)
1/24/2012: Miles City, MT to Spokane, WA (684 mi, 10.75 hours at 65 mph)
There will be three drivers, all of whom have experience driving in inclement weather in Massachusetts but are unfamiliar with driving in North Dakota and Montana. My questions are as follows:
1. Given the weather conditions toward the end of January in North Dakota and Montana, how likely is it that inclement weather will result in portions of I-94/I-90 being closed or will necessitate driving at reduced speed on the above route, and for which portions of the route are these possibilities more likely?
2. Given the weather conditions toward the end of January in North Dakota and Montana, what are reasonable time estimates for each portion of the above route in the best case, average case, and worst case? To state the obvious, no one can predict the future, but I would appreciate advice from those with experience.
3. Other than using the appropriate tires and paying close attention to road condition reports from the Department of Transportation in each state, does anyone have any other advice regarding the above route?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 California road trip
- 2 Luau Worth the Money or Not?
- 3 Grand Canyon in February?? Doable?
- 4 Self-Guided Walking Tours For Savannah and Charleston
- 5 Used point to reserve room now a friend wants to stay for free
- 6 Charlottesville & NC BBQ Trip Report
- 7 Moving to Montana
- 8 WNY, Cleveland, and Niagara on the Lake
- 9 Makana Charter Reviews in Kauai?
- 10 Tetons, Yellowstone help
- 11 First Time to Seattle-Portland-Willamette Valley
- 12 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 13 Solo Trip to Mid-West
- 14 Oregon Coast question
- 15 Savanah GA
- 16 transportation from Plano TX to Norman OK
- 17 Florida with a 2 year old
- 18 traveling I 70 across Colorado
- 19 ASAP Help w/San Fran to San Diego 12 day road trip with young kids
- 20 Colorado itinerary
- 21 West Virginia -the 49th state!
- 22 Driving through Chicago area to Wisconsin
- 23 Yellowstone NP planning questions
- 24 Boat Tour Suggestion in Kauai or Helicopter Instead?
- 25 Montana from Salt Lake City: Help!
Minneapolis to Spokane in late January: What should I expect?