Please excuse my intrusion. I am planning a trip in January and would like some information about the feasibility of the following route:
1/23/2012: Minneapolis, MN to Miles City, MT (695 mi, 10.8 hours at 65 mph)
1/24/2012: Miles City, MT to Spokane, WA (684 mi, 10.75 hours at 65 mph)
There will be three drivers, all of whom have experience driving in inclement weather in Massachusetts but are unfamiliar with driving in North Dakota and Montana. My questions are as follows:
1. Given the weather conditions toward the end of January in North Dakota and Montana, how likely is it that inclement weather will result in portions of I-94/I-90 being closed or will necessitate driving at reduced speed on the above route, and for which portions of the route are these possibilities more likely?
2. Given the weather conditions toward the end of January in North Dakota and Montana, what are reasonable time estimates for each portion of the above route in the best case, average case, and worst case? To state the obvious, no one can predict the future, but I would appreciate advice from those with experience.
3. Other than using the appropriate tires and paying close attention to road condition reports from the Department of Transportation in each state, does anyone have any other advice regarding the above route?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Eating Well In Manhatten
- 2 MIDTOWN EAST TO JFK....VIA, UBER, OR YELLOW CAB?
- 3 PNW & its grudge against the bumbershoot
- 4 Lead in me in the right direction for our first Hawaii trip
- 5 Visiting Kauai...NEXT WEEK!!
- 6 Philadelphia travel ideas
- 7 Where to live in the North East
- 8 Restaurants - Nashville & Memphis
- 9 Great Smoky Mountains - Chimn Tops Trail
- 10 Tucson: milestone Birthday Dinner, winter
- 11 Restaurant Recommendations
- 12 LA Cali for 3 days alone, What To Do?
- 13 Mardi Gras - avoid or embrace?
- 14 JFK to Washington
- 15 Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge in Big Sur to reopen at 5pm Friday October 13th
- 16 Houston during hurricane
- 17 Los Angeles for Christmas
- 18 Winter hiking in Colorado
- 19 Pacific Grove/Carmel CA area
- 20 Maui and Kauai
- 21 Phoenix for the weekend
- 22 Girls Trip to Chicago
- 23 Hotel to stay in Queens
- 24 Christmas in Colorado
- 25 San Francisco - Stu Dudley's Recommendations
Minneapolis to Spokane in late January: What should I expect?