Please excuse my intrusion. I am planning a trip in January and would like some information about the feasibility of the following route:
1/23/2012: Minneapolis, MN to Miles City, MT (695 mi, 10.8 hours at 65 mph)
1/24/2012: Miles City, MT to Spokane, WA (684 mi, 10.75 hours at 65 mph)
There will be three drivers, all of whom have experience driving in inclement weather in Massachusetts but are unfamiliar with driving in North Dakota and Montana. My questions are as follows:
1. Given the weather conditions toward the end of January in North Dakota and Montana, how likely is it that inclement weather will result in portions of I-94/I-90 being closed or will necessitate driving at reduced speed on the above route, and for which portions of the route are these possibilities more likely?
2. Given the weather conditions toward the end of January in North Dakota and Montana, what are reasonable time estimates for each portion of the above route in the best case, average case, and worst case? To state the obvious, no one can predict the future, but I would appreciate advice from those with experience.
3. Other than using the appropriate tires and paying close attention to road condition reports from the Department of Transportation in each state, does anyone have any other advice regarding the above route?
Minneapolis to Spokane in late January: What should I expect?
- 1 How far ahead to book Alcatraz?
- 2 Yosemite Falls Lodge in the park or Cedar Lodge w/ budget constraints
- 3 What to do with extra day in Virginia?
- 4 Oregon & Washington: What are we missing, as we're big fans already?
- 5 First-time to NYC Trip Report as promised!
- 6 build a nice website
- 7 Red Leather Sofa
- 8 San Francisco - one semi-splurge restaurant?
- 9 Albuquerque to Denver
- 10 Seattle restaurant near Pikes Market
- 11 San Fran, Napa, Palo Alto, Carmel advice
- 12 WHERE TO STAY FOR PROPOSAL WEEKEND IN FREDRICKSBURG
- 13 Omni Hotel, San Francisco - Did I make a good choice
- 14 Zion vs Bryce - How many days each?
- 15 Using public transit in San Diego
- 16 Williamsburg VA
- 17 Finally, seeing the Outer Banks
- 18 A Visit to Charleston
- 19 Restos in Boca Raton
- 20 Rocks and Roads in Utah
- 21 Just saw the Book of Mormon in Chicago ! Can we talk about it
- 22 What to see/do from north Texas area to SD (Mt. Rushmore area)
- 23 Southern Utah and GC Trip Cont.- Itinerary Help
- 24 Memorial day weekend drivable getaway from Jersey City, NJ
- 25 NYC Newbie Needs Advice Re JFK Transportation