Please excuse my intrusion. I am planning a trip in January and would like some information about the feasibility of the following route:
1/23/2012: Minneapolis, MN to Miles City, MT (695 mi, 10.8 hours at 65 mph)
1/24/2012: Miles City, MT to Spokane, WA (684 mi, 10.75 hours at 65 mph)
There will be three drivers, all of whom have experience driving in inclement weather in Massachusetts but are unfamiliar with driving in North Dakota and Montana. My questions are as follows:
1. Given the weather conditions toward the end of January in North Dakota and Montana, how likely is it that inclement weather will result in portions of I-94/I-90 being closed or will necessitate driving at reduced speed on the above route, and for which portions of the route are these possibilities more likely?
2. Given the weather conditions toward the end of January in North Dakota and Montana, what are reasonable time estimates for each portion of the above route in the best case, average case, and worst case? To state the obvious, no one can predict the future, but I would appreciate advice from those with experience.
3. Other than using the appropriate tires and paying close attention to road condition reports from the Department of Transportation in each state, does anyone have any other advice regarding the above route?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Driving Alaska
- 2 Border crossing
- 3 March in New Mexico
- 4 NYC Girls' Weekend Trip Report
- 5 Yellowstone Hikes questions
- 6 Flowers and Berries in Oregon
- 7 "Unique" New York City Experiences-Yours
- 8 Back from the Big Easy
- 9 Early 2017 Broadway Banter - "Come From Away"
- 10 Cross country tips
- 11 Zion National Park Hikes and HOtels
- 12 Best May/Jun Yosemite lodging areas: Yosemite West, El Portal, or Wawona?
- 13 Ideas for New York
- 14 Parka in PA during February?
- 15 Restaurants in the San Francisco area
- 16 Sedona v Scottsdale?
- 17 Traveling into the US with Alcohol
- 18 Clear Roads From Seattle to Omaha 12-9-16?
- 19 Is Fox Rent A Car any good?
- 20 EWR to Midtown Manhattan
- 21 DIA to Estes Park in mid-Feb. 4x4?
- 22 Rental cars at Tampa cruiseport 3
- 23 Best Kids' Skiing <3 hours from Chicago?
- 24 CEO Dollar Rental Car
- 25 Last minute Keys Trip Advice Please
Minneapolis to Spokane in late January: What should I expect?