My wife and I had a wonderful vacation in Michigan last summer thanks to the folks on this forum. We spent 5 days in the Bay Harbor and Petoskey area and it was great.
Now we are planning a late September/early October five day fall getaway and are looking for some ideas. We are really into quaint & historic areas (we loved the gaslight district in Petoskey) and are thinking about traveling up along the lake starting near Holland or Grand Haven and heading north all the way to Mackinac Island.
Is 5 days enough and are there recommendations on must visit/must stay areas along the way ? Are there places that we should just skip altogether ?We are not opposed to stopping in Bay Harbor/Petoskey again .
We also want to experience the fall colors - is this a good route for this time of year ?
Your comments and recommendations are once again very much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Arizona in winter
- 2 SF-Yosemite-Monterey Peninsula
- 3 SF with school-age kids -- too much to choose!
- 4 NYC bus tour suggestions
- 5 Savannah and Charleston over New Years.
- 6 My parents planned a vacation for me without asking.
- 7 Key West
- 8 moving to Florida
- 9 DC restaurant report
- 10 trip repor 5th-8th October
- 11 Neue Galerie
- 12 Glacier and Grand Tetons: June or July
- 13 HELP! Solo road trip - the Deep south - Hints & Tips needed!
- 14 A Few Days in Asheville
- 15 University of Florida, Gainesville Breakfast Spot
- 16 Going to Oahu December 1-8
- 17 Polynesian Cultural Centre
- 18 Going from Savanah to thru Smokey Mountains and to the Blue Ridge
- 19 Smoky Mountains Honeymoon
- 20 national park during thanksgiving
- 21 DC Tours, Washington, DC
- 22 RV Round Trip VA-CO Summertime
- 23 December trip to see snow
- 24 Northern California Redwoods
- 25 Visiting for a conference - where to stay (near stadiums) and sightseeing?