I was excited about the idea of taking the ferry from Miami to Bimini. (I like ferry rides generally, the whole experience of getting out on the water, especially when the ferry takes me to somewhere I've never been before, there's kind of an excitement about it. Bimini would be my 3rd Bahamian isle and I have very much enjoyed my prior Bahamian experiences.) However, then I learned that the ferry runs only Friday through Sunday so that would mean I'd have to do the ferry January 2nd to January 4th, given my holiday scheduling. I could adjust my schedule to extend my vacation to the 4th, but I was really ideally hoping to do something in the December 28th to January 2nd period. I've been to Miami before, but only a quick exploration of South Beach & Downtown, so there are still things I'd like to see, such as LIttle Havana and Coconut Grove, to name two. So, the idea of that trip would be a few days in Miami and then chill by the beach, soaking in some Bahamian culture, do some biking on the island.
Then I thought, I've never been to Austin and could combine a trip there with a visit to a cousin who lives in Houston. Austin I could visit on my desired days and I could save the Bimini ferry for another year. I tend to like to go south to have a respite from the Montreal winter; by south, this has meant in the past Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans, San Antonio, Jacksonville/Saint Augustine, Miami/Key West, Fort Lauderdale/Freeport and Nassau. You can see by some of the earlier destinations, that warmer does not necessarily mean temperatures in the 70s, just a place that will be reasonably comfortable (50s, 60s fine for this) for exploring/bike riding around Christmastime.
Looking at the historical temperature averages, Austin seems to fit the bill, being a number of hours further south than Dallas, I'm gathering that it's generally out of the snow/ice zone that the Dallas/Fort Worth area can find itself in? I remember when I was in San Antonio a number of years ago the same time of year, the temperatures were quite pleasant. Austin seems like it might be a fun place to be to ring in the New Year; does the city have a festive energy that time of year? A lot of people seem to love Austin so it's piqued my curiosity. (Just out of curiosity, do you find Austin to be an attractive city?)
I don't drive but will take buses, bike, walk extensively. I managed Downtown Miami/South Beach without a car in the past and based on a previous query, I think my carlessness would not be an issue in Austin either.
Solo traveler here. I enjoy history/art museums/cultural activities, exploring neighborhoods/parks, trying restaurants, but I can also find laying by a beach (sitting in a beautiful park) while reading a good book, equally enticing.
I'm down to these two choices; on the fence here, but thinking I should decide soon. Anyway, if anyone has answers to my questions three paragraphs back about Austin or wants to weigh in, thank you!
Best wishes, Daniel
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 http://isscamreview.com/code-fibo-scam/
- 2 http://www.singlerank.com/testo-black-x/
- 3 http://www.trypromusclefit.com/booty-pop/
- 4 http://newhealthsupplement.com/exoslim/
- 5 http://www.oleville.net/tvolve-testo-booster/
- 6 http://nutrahealthtrimsite.com/booty-pop-cream/
- 7 http://www.piratetoyshop.com/suisse-serum/
- 8 West Coast (San Francisco to San Diego) Road Trip
- 9 Need advise sightseeing Seattle - Pendleton - Twin Falls - Yellowstone
- 10 Alabama trip in Dec
- 11 Summer mountains and lakes with kids
- 12 Destination and route guidance needed for Oct trip to New England.
- 13 Any off site car rental agencies around JFK?
- 14 SF and northern California - October
- 15 VRBO is now charging renters a service fee--What's up?
- 16 November redwoods trip
- 17 Yellowstone
- 18 Montana dude ranch recommendation
- 19 10 Year Anniversary Dinner in NYC
- 20 Towing a camper trailer during January
- 21 costco Big island
- 22 My Avis/kona rental experience
- 23 Napili in Maui with toddlers?
- 24 Which island for R&R?
- 25 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
Miami/Bimini versus Austin Christmas/New Years period no car