We are taking our 3 year old to a wedding in Miami and visiting family in Ft Lauderdale end of Nov. We will have 8-9 nights, plan to stay 2 nights in a hotel in Miami for the wedding then rent a beach condo from vrbo for one week anywhere in the area. Only vaguely informed about Miami, Ft Lauderdale and Key West and know nothing about other southern FL areas. Husband and I have both been to Miami for business but not for vacation. We want a relaxing vacation with lots of beach and pool time with the kid. Interested in taking in a little art and Cuban culture in Miami but that's not the focus of our trip. Don't need to be in the middle of glitzy restaurants or clubs... we live in Manhattan and already dragged kid to Paris and Hong Kong in the past 18 months so it would be nice if this trip is a slower pace, less city life and more family and nature. Not interested in shopping or Disney. We will have a rental car.
How are these these places different as they relate to a family vacation? Which has best laid back, safe and beautiful beaches? Appreciate any suggestions on where to set up base camp for one week.
Miami or Ft Lauderdale or Key West for a young family?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Pyrotechnic Send-off
- 2 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 3 Florida St George's Island
- 4 Three or Four Nights in Moab?
- 5 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 6 2 weeks in FL, Savannah and Charleston
- 7 Washington DC in Spring?
- 8 I am "The Prince of Tides"
- 9 Kanab and Page with Kids Trip Report
- 10 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 11 Parking/shuttle near Midway
- 12 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 13 Quick advice needed for 1st visit to HNL & Kauai
- 14 Weather in Hawaii in January
- 15 NYC becoming a battleground for Air BnB apartment rentals
- 16 Weekend in NYC
- 17 Antelope Canyon, Best Friends, Bryce, Zion trip report
- 18 Looking for good moonstone beach hotels in cambria
- 19 Booking Lodging at the Grand Canyon
- 20 Tennessee Alabama Louisiana
- 21 Grand Teton & Yellowstone & ???
- 22 Utah mid Sept Trip Report, Zion, Bryce, Arches- beautiful!
- 23 Breckenridge in October
- 24 East Coast to West Coast travel route
- 25 Family Trip to Moab - Flying into SLC