Has anyone done the Mauna Kea summit tour and stargazing programme arranged through the Onizuka Center visitor information station? If so, can you share your experiences? I like the look of this more than the Mauna Kea Summit Adventures tour, not least of all because on the summit tour you get an inside tour of two summit telescopes. Afterwards we'd plan to stay on for the stargazing programme. I'm a bit wary of driving our 4WD back down the mountain afterwards in the dark, but I guess this must happen all the time, or they wouldn't hold the events in the first place, right...? I'd be really grateful for any comments. I haven't seen anything at all on Fodors about the VIS programmes, so I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I'm looking at a really old webpage, and these tours no longer exist or something.
We're really excited about our trip - this July. We're planning to spend seven days on Big Island then six days on Oahu. It will be our first time in Hawaii. We're flying from London. Ouch! On BI we'll stay in the Kona area with two nights in Volcano. I can't wait.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Honeymoon Trip to California
- 2 IAH to HOU Questions
- 3 Going to L.A. dec18-25; Road trip to D.V. and on rt66
- 4 Honeymoon on PCH
- 5 San Francisco food suggestions?
- 6 Photos from Glacier National Park October 2016
- 7 Traveling into the US with Alcohol
- 8 Great OR beach house locations?
- 9 Ideas for New York
- 10 San Francisco transit options
- 11 Best/Cheapest way to get to Copper Mtn, CO?
- 12 Sedona v Scottsdale?
- 13 CEO Dollar Rental Car
- 14 Lodging outside of Yellowstone
- 15 Grand Canyon / Bryce / Zion in August with Teens
- 16 75th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor Attack Events
- 17 CAJUN region, plus NEW ORLEANS
- 18 Road Trip From Central PA TO CA (LA, California)
- 19 Pittsburgh to Richmond - Possible Routes?
- 20 Where to stay in maui Kihei vs Paia vs Wailea vs Lahaina, Kaanapali
- 21 Hurricane Matthew damage along Florida East Coast?
- 22 Shuttle, taxi or Uber from PGD to Boca Grande area
- 23 3-week one-way cross country trip in June
- 24 No Spam this morning!!
- 25 Four Nights in Texas? San Antonio? Austin? Dallas?
Mauna Kea summit/stargazing tours arranged through visitors' center