Has anyone done the Mauna Kea summit tour and stargazing programme arranged through the Onizuka Center visitor information station? If so, can you share your experiences? I like the look of this more than the Mauna Kea Summit Adventures tour, not least of all because on the summit tour you get an inside tour of two summit telescopes. Afterwards we'd plan to stay on for the stargazing programme. I'm a bit wary of driving our 4WD back down the mountain afterwards in the dark, but I guess this must happen all the time, or they wouldn't hold the events in the first place, right...? I'd be really grateful for any comments. I haven't seen anything at all on Fodors about the VIS programmes, so I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I'm looking at a really old webpage, and these tours no longer exist or something.
We're really excited about our trip - this July. We're planning to spend seven days on Big Island then six days on Oahu. It will be our first time in Hawaii. We're flying from London. Ouch! On BI we'll stay in the Kona area with two nights in Volcano. I can't wait.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Roadtrip July 2017
- 2 Quick Trip to D.C. In April
- 3 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 4 Big Sure in June
- 5 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 6 Rental car or RV for road trip from San Francisco via Las Vegas to Denver
- 7 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 8 Carmel Monterey
- 9 Alaska Trip Planning Please Help
- 10 Travel options between Las Vegas and Grand Canyon South Rim
- 11 Santa Fe Itineray
- 12 Glacier, Yellowstone, Teton - Car Rental?
- 13 Northwest National Parks Tour
- 14 Where to watch Oscars in Palm Springs
- 15 Arches Devils Garden
- 16 Folly, Surfside, Carolina or Wrightsville Beach?
- 17 RV camping near Yosemite NP
- 18 Road trip to NP: from Denver to San Francisco or the other way around?
- 19 Moving to Dallas - Where to live?
- 20 best health clubs with lap pools
- 21 Where to stay 3 nights to see Yosemite from Death Valley?
- 22 Retiring to Tucson
- 23 universal studios and disney
- 24 Favourite San Francisco hotel / New things to see??
- 25 Spring Break @ Big Bend
Mauna Kea summit/stargazing tours arranged through visitors' center