Has anyone done the Mauna Kea summit tour and stargazing programme arranged through the Onizuka Center visitor information station? If so, can you share your experiences? I like the look of this more than the Mauna Kea Summit Adventures tour, not least of all because on the summit tour you get an inside tour of two summit telescopes. Afterwards we'd plan to stay on for the stargazing programme. I'm a bit wary of driving our 4WD back down the mountain afterwards in the dark, but I guess this must happen all the time, or they wouldn't hold the events in the first place, right...? I'd be really grateful for any comments. I haven't seen anything at all on Fodors about the VIS programmes, so I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I'm looking at a really old webpage, and these tours no longer exist or something.
We're really excited about our trip - this July. We're planning to spend seven days on Big Island then six days on Oahu. It will be our first time in Hawaii. We're flying from London. Ouch! On BI we'll stay in the Kona area with two nights in Volcano. I can't wait.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Trip to San Francisco in Dec 2017
- 2 Kauai: First Trip Help Please
- 3 Inexpensive Restaurants Near Canyonlands and Capitol Reef?
- 4 50th wedding anniversary in Hawaii??
- 5 Getting from Seatac airport to downtown Seattle
- 6 2 Grannies, 2 parents & 1 three-yr-old
- 7 NYC 9/11 Tour - best options?
- 8 Muir Woods in October
- 9 help me plan a Cali trip
- 10 San Francisco to Seattle in a day (fires in Oregon)
- 11 Dining after show at Sondheim Theatre
- 12 Road trip during Winters in Utah-NV
- 13 Southern California Sand Dunes - Oceano Dunes
- 14 10-hour MIA layover ideas?
- 15 Alaska trip rough Itinerary for Sep 2017
- 16 Mesa Verde question
- 17 Planning our Move
- 18 Wilmington DE questions
- 19 Road Trip Travel Advice - 2 Days or 3?
- 20 Great Smoky Mountains trip: Tennessee or North Carolina?
- 21 Best options for viewing, learning about lava flows on Big Island?
- 22 Need tips for 14 day alaska trip Please help!
- 23 Hawaii at Christmas with older teens
- 24 Sperry chalet destroyed by fire
- 25 Overnight stay along Newburyport/Rockport train line
Mauna Kea summit/stargazing tours arranged through visitors' center