Has anyone done the Mauna Kea summit tour and stargazing programme arranged through the Onizuka Center visitor information station? If so, can you share your experiences? I like the look of this more than the Mauna Kea Summit Adventures tour, not least of all because on the summit tour you get an inside tour of two summit telescopes. Afterwards we'd plan to stay on for the stargazing programme. I'm a bit wary of driving our 4WD back down the mountain afterwards in the dark, but I guess this must happen all the time, or they wouldn't hold the events in the first place, right...? I'd be really grateful for any comments. I haven't seen anything at all on Fodors about the VIS programmes, so I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I'm looking at a really old webpage, and these tours no longer exist or something.
We're really excited about our trip - this July. We're planning to spend seven days on Big Island then six days on Oahu. It will be our first time in Hawaii. We're flying from London. Ouch! On BI we'll stay in the Kona area with two nights in Volcano. I can't wait.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Need Help w/ Itinerary-Redwood NP, Mendocino, Sea Ranch Lodge
- 2 Seattle Airport to Downtown
- 3 Bedford Stuyvesant
- 4 accessible shuttes from Nashville airport to Omni Hotel
- 5 Where to stay in or near San Simeon for one night?
- 6 prepaid broadband for ipad
- 7 Anna Maria Island--is north end "too" quiet?
- 8 October New England Honeymoon??
- 9 Would Torrey be a good base for Moab/Canyonlands
- 10 Zion National Park
- 11 Hawaii with 2 young teens
- 12 Lodging recs for Mackinac Island
- 13 Hawaii's Rat Lungworm
- 14 Luggage Storage at ORD (Hilton)
- 15 A week in Ohau - what to do?
- 16 What to do in Asheville
- 17 Good restaurant in Topeka, KS
- 18 Road trip from San Francisco to San Diego
- 19 Denver to Yellowstone
- 20 Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion..
- 21 Zion and Bryce... which to do first
- 22 Boulder, CO vs Denver, CO
- 23 Crazy to travel to Salem Massachusetts by myself?
- 24 Traveling across USA via Greyhound
- 25 How long to spend at Lassen Volcanic NP?
Mauna Kea summit/stargazing tours arranged through visitors' center