Four of us will be visiting the Big Island in May and one of my plans is to visit at least the Mauna Kea Visitors' center. We can do this in an Alamo rental car. A Summit tour will cost close to $800 and the Visitors' Center offers an escorted tour on Saturday and Sunday. if you have your own 4WD vehicle. Guests will be allowed into at least one of the observatories. No rental cars, other than Harper's are allowed past the Visitors Center. The cost of a one day rental from Harper's is about $179, less than the cost of one person on a tour. Has anyone driven this as part of the "caravan"? It sounds like a cost effective way of doing it. Thanks for any input.
Mauna Kea Saddle Road and Visitors' Center.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Honeymoon/road trip/adventure/help!
- 2 Alaska Trip Report—10 days by car in July
- 3 Denver, Colorado, local's advice: Bistrot Vendome or other?
- 4 car rental from denver airport and shuttle question
- 5 Carlsbad/San Diego Ideas
- 6 A few SF recommendations/itinerary review
- 7 Trip Report - Jersey Shore, Cherry Hill, Philly, back to the roots...
- 8 Drive Seattle to Las Vegas
- 9 Road Trip SW
- 10 Seafood
- 11 Convenient Accommodation suggestions
- 12 Connecticut River Byway
- 13 Oregon Wildfire Reports
- 14 Boston
- 15 What a great weekend in Cooperstown (July 24-27)
- 16 Road Trip Help--- Philly to Sunset, SC (Virginia portion)
- 17 Mt Ranier parking questions
- 18 Atascadero -> Pacific Grove -> San Francisco
- 19 moving to florida
- 20 Seattle, Portland, and day trips all around
- 21 Seatle in September 19-22, Where to stay? Avg prices?
- 22 3 days, 4 nights in Denver
- 23 Another Californian Odyssey (June/July 2014)
- 24 Ogunquit Family Get Together
- 25 Boston/Salem with kids