Four of us will be visiting the Big Island in May and one of my plans is to visit at least the Mauna Kea Visitors' center. We can do this in an Alamo rental car. A Summit tour will cost close to $800 and the Visitors' Center offers an escorted tour on Saturday and Sunday. if you have your own 4WD vehicle. Guests will be allowed into at least one of the observatories. No rental cars, other than Harper's are allowed past the Visitors Center. The cost of a one day rental from Harper's is about $179, less than the cost of one person on a tour. Has anyone driven this as part of the "caravan"? It sounds like a cost effective way of doing it. Thanks for any input.
Mauna Kea Saddle Road and Visitors' Center.
View all United States activity »
- 1 Hey drivers, taking my grandmother to San Fran - lil help?!?
- 2 Car service from JFK to lower Manhattan
- 3 Hotel near Public Theater
- 4 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 5 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 6 Where to stay for a Baltimore/DC trip
- 7 suewoo and any other Charleston, SC experts
- 8 San Antonio
- 9 hotel near Met NYC
- 10 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 11 Hollywood with 17yr old son
- 12 New Yorkers Live Longer - Health Initiatives Seem to Work
- 13 Taking a Road trip Memphis through to Smokey Mtns.
- 14 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 15 Oahu Information
- 16 Trip Report: New Orleans, Nov. 20 - 25, 2013
- 17 Best Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas 14 and 11 yo boys?
- 18 Warm and don't Drive
- 19 driving route to disneyland, Anaheim
- 20 Historic District Hotel, St. Augustine, Florida, February
- 21 Any additions to my general plan for 2 night stay in Jacksonville (no car)?
- 22 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 23 One day in Washington DC
- 24 Eataly in Chicago -- Coming Soon!
- 25 Disney Florida - Which parks to go for 1.5 days?