Four of us will be visiting the Big Island in May and one of my plans is to visit at least the Mauna Kea Visitors' center. We can do this in an Alamo rental car. A Summit tour will cost close to $800 and the Visitors' Center offers an escorted tour on Saturday and Sunday. if you have your own 4WD vehicle. Guests will be allowed into at least one of the observatories. No rental cars, other than Harper's are allowed past the Visitors Center. The cost of a one day rental from Harper's is about $179, less than the cost of one person on a tour. Has anyone driven this as part of the "caravan"? It sounds like a cost effective way of doing it. Thanks for any input.
Mauna Kea Saddle Road and Visitors' Center.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 West Coast US trip from Sep to Oct 15 for 30days
- 2 Would a Annual Park pass be worth it?
- 3 Pizza Paradise In Pasadena
- 4 12-hour layover in Honolulu: What to do?
- 5 Dinsey Wolrd - another "what resort" question
- 6 Tudor city -special help/info
- 7 Scottsdale, Sedona, Grand Canyon
- 8 Coffee shop or dinner recommendations for Fullerton/Anaheim area?
- 9 Utah 2
- 10 Xmas in Key West: Come on Vacation, Leave on Probation
- 11 Short New York City Weekend Trip report March 2015
- 12 Good restaurants near Griffith Observatory?
- 13 Planning to see chicago with a big family
- 14 Notom-Burr or Rt 12 from Capitol Reef to Bryce
- 15 TOWING SCAM IN WASHINGTON, DC
- 16 must see and do's in Maui?
- 17 3 or 4 days north of San Francisco with kids
- 18 Canyon Rides horseback tour of Bryce Canyon
- 19 New York City - apartment locations
- 20 Boston to see Sargent works
- 21 Best ( not cheapest) way from EWR to Upper West Side
- 22 Moving from Salt Lake City UT to Dallas TX
- 23 Murray Hill NYC restaurants
- 24 San Jose Airport to Paso Robles
- 25 Girls' Getaway