Four of us will be visiting the Big Island in May and one of my plans is to visit at least the Mauna Kea Visitors' center. We can do this in an Alamo rental car. A Summit tour will cost close to $800 and the Visitors' Center offers an escorted tour on Saturday and Sunday. if you have your own 4WD vehicle. Guests will be allowed into at least one of the observatories. No rental cars, other than Harper's are allowed past the Visitors Center. The cost of a one day rental from Harper's is about $179, less than the cost of one person on a tour. Has anyone driven this as part of the "caravan"? It sounds like a cost effective way of doing it. Thanks for any input.
Mauna Kea Saddle Road and Visitors' Center.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 NYC theatre broadway
- 2 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 3 Your favorite Glacier NP lodging and itinerary help
- 4 First family ski trip
- 5 Suggestions? Family of four that like National Parks
- 6 Salt Lake City, Utah
- 7 Feedback on Palm Springs with Kids Itinerary
- 8 Commute from Kailua Kona to Hilo - doable?
- 9 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 10 Honeymoon - Maui and Oahu for first timers Oct 2014
- 11 Seattle TrainingTrip March 17, q's
- 12 Yes it's March, but let's talk Christmas destinations!
- 13 Visiting Denver
- 14 Visiting Denver
- 15 boston to nantucket: what are our options?
- 16 Gatlinburg Tennessee Itinerary suggestions
- 17 Help for an upcoming NYC trip.
- 18 Alternatives to Disney in Florida
- 19 Death Valley in June in a motorhome
- 20 Denver in a half day
- 21 Safe Way of renting property in Orlando
- 22 Return to Utah - New Sites
- 23 Oahu ideas
- 24 Grand Circle & Wyoming
- 25 driving from San Francisco to Seattle