Planning our first visit to HI in early September (myself, husband and daughter (early 20s). We will be spending 9 nights and splitting our stay between Oahu and either Maui or the Big Island. Looking forward to lots of sightseeing and activities on Oahu - Pearl Harbor, surf lessons, exploring chinatown, driving out to the north shore (and for DD, shopping and seeing any of the locations where LOST filmed).
For the second island, we know it will be more relaxing and we are trying to decide between Maui v. the Big Island. Deciding factor may come down to better snorkeling, as it is an activity we all enjoy. We're interested in both off shore experiences, where you can just wade in from the beach, as well as boat excursions (eg Molokini crater). I have 3 different guidebooks but am having a hard time determining which island would be better for this in early September. I humbly turn to fellow Fodorites for your opinions.
Thanks for any insights you can provide.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Suggestions for beach towns on FL west coast?
- 2 "Unique" New York City Experiences-Yours
- 3 East Nashville or Hillsboro Village
- 4 Miami
- 5 Weegee...you can't be a 'nice Nellie' and do street photography
- 6 Back from the Big Easy
- 7 Driving Alaska
- 8 Oregon or California to Nebraska
- 9 Zion National Park Hikes and HOtels
- 10 Yellowstone/Grand Tetons (Oct 2016)
- 11 Traveling into the US with Alcohol
- 12 March in New Mexico
- 13 San Francisco/Northern California Trip
- 14 In search of cool beach town in the Carolinas
- 15 Transportation suggestions from Charleston Executive Airport
- 16 DIA to Estes Park in mid-Feb. 4x4?
- 17 Border crossing
- 18 Is Fox Rent A Car any good?
- 19 Last minute Keys Trip Advice Please
- 20 NYC Girls' Weekend Trip Report
- 21 Yellowstone Hikes questions
- 22 Flowers and Berries in Oregon
- 23 Early 2017 Broadway Banter - "Come From Away"
- 24 Cross country tips
- 25 Best May/Jun Yosemite lodging areas: Yosemite West, El Portal, or Wawona?