Planning our first visit to HI in early September (myself, husband and daughter (early 20s). We will be spending 9 nights and splitting our stay between Oahu and either Maui or the Big Island. Looking forward to lots of sightseeing and activities on Oahu - Pearl Harbor, surf lessons, exploring chinatown, driving out to the north shore (and for DD, shopping and seeing any of the locations where LOST filmed).
For the second island, we know it will be more relaxing and we are trying to decide between Maui v. the Big Island. Deciding factor may come down to better snorkeling, as it is an activity we all enjoy. We're interested in both off shore experiences, where you can just wade in from the beach, as well as boat excursions (eg Molokini crater). I have 3 different guidebooks but am having a hard time determining which island would be better for this in early September. I humbly turn to fellow Fodorites for your opinions.
Thanks for any insights you can provide.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Where in the U.S. is the temperature no more than 75 degrees in the summer?
- 2 Driving from Provo to Grand Junction in March 2017
- 3 Please help me add SNP to my road trip!
- 4 Help me plan 1 week in Miami South Beach
- 5 Change planes in Atlanta
- 6 Labor Day in Key West...Literally
- 7 First Time Oahu/Maui
- 8 I95
- 9 Golden Triangle Trip LA>LV>SF>LA 03.30-04.14
- 10 Asheville to Atlanta 5 nights in between...need advice for the coast
- 11 From Atlanta to Nashville with 2 days in between- what to Do?
- 12 Comment Needed: 22 Days - West Cost (California & LV)
- 13 Suggestion for Las Vegas to Yosemite in July
- 14 Has anyone rent US travel WiFi before?
- 15 Kauai - Grand Hyatt and somewhere else?
- 16 28 Day Road Trip to the Northwest from Chicago
- 17 CHRISTMAS WEEK: NEW YORK STYLE
- 18 San Diego to Oregon road trip itinerary
- 19 Wine Country
- 20 San Francisco first visit.
- 21 Ideas for February Road Trip from San Francisco?
- 22 Please help with Route 66 planning, overnight stops and detours
- 23 Looking for a restaurant! Oregon 101
- 24 Hawaii Help
- 25 Renting a car with DWAI