Planning our first visit to HI in early September (myself, husband and daughter (early 20s). We will be spending 9 nights and splitting our stay between Oahu and either Maui or the Big Island. Looking forward to lots of sightseeing and activities on Oahu - Pearl Harbor, surf lessons, exploring chinatown, driving out to the north shore (and for DD, shopping and seeing any of the locations where LOST filmed).
For the second island, we know it will be more relaxing and we are trying to decide between Maui v. the Big Island. Deciding factor may come down to better snorkeling, as it is an activity we all enjoy. We're interested in both off shore experiences, where you can just wade in from the beach, as well as boat excursions (eg Molokini crater). I have 3 different guidebooks but am having a hard time determining which island would be better for this in early September. I humbly turn to fellow Fodorites for your opinions.
Thanks for any insights you can provide.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 HAWAII- best islands at xmas time
- 2 I95 or I81 to Florida from NJ on Memorial Day Weekend Friday?
- 3 Miami airport--safety??
- 4 Boston hotel in May - Suburb and using the T-line
- 5 Drive from Ohio to NYC
- 6 Las vegas hotel off the beaten path
- 7 Recent Spam Attacks
- 8 Family trip Las Vegas to Zion, Bryce, Page, GC and Sedona?
- 9 US whole month of January where to
- 10 Road Trip-San Francisco and Los Angeles
- 11 San Fran & Monterey Bay with Tweens
- 12 Looking for advice on my hitchhike trip plan
- 13 Central Coast CA kayaking?
- 14 NEW ORLEANS AND CAJUN COUNTRY...A WEEK-LONG FOOD QUEST
- 15 Heading to Asheville, NC
- 16 Driving from Glacier National Park to Hood River
- 17 Pacific Grove for 5 or 6 nights
- 18 UC Santa Barbara hotels
- 19 Baltimore Weekend
- 20 Dinosaur National Monument
- 21 Road trip LA to Phoenix via Grand Canyon
- 22 Is Yosemite worth going too in July?
- 23 Rocky Mountain road trip
- 24 Things to do in Toronto
- 25 Antelope Canyon visit in August - best time