Planning our first visit to HI in early September (myself, husband and daughter (early 20s). We will be spending 9 nights and splitting our stay between Oahu and either Maui or the Big Island. Looking forward to lots of sightseeing and activities on Oahu - Pearl Harbor, surf lessons, exploring chinatown, driving out to the north shore (and for DD, shopping and seeing any of the locations where LOST filmed).
For the second island, we know it will be more relaxing and we are trying to decide between Maui v. the Big Island. Deciding factor may come down to better snorkeling, as it is an activity we all enjoy. We're interested in both off shore experiences, where you can just wade in from the beach, as well as boat excursions (eg Molokini crater). I have 3 different guidebooks but am having a hard time determining which island would be better for this in early September. I humbly turn to fellow Fodorites for your opinions.
Thanks for any insights you can provide.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Driving from central Florida to Napa CA
- 2 Portland-Seattle and lots more: Itinerary comments requested
- 3 Crested Butte lodging suggestions...summer
- 4 1st Visit to USA with kids in Jul-Aug, SFO,LA,SD & LAS - 21 days. Need Help
- 5 Chicago, Illinois: Where to stay? Do you need a car?
- 6 New Orleans/long weekend in September
- 7 Lodge at Torrey Pines or Hilton Torrey Pines?
- 8 Badlands, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, etc. 2016 trip - Need suggestions
- 9 San Francisco Itinerary help
- 10 Driving cross country tips
- 11 Help with first time
- 12 Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire in October
- 13 Atlanta Airport
- 14 Crowd levels in Pigeon Forge/Sevierville
- 15 New York City never gets Old! A long "Christmasy" weekend.
- 16 Cape Cod in September with toddler
- 17 Road Trip From IA to Niagara Falls
- 18 Thousand Islands - Must Dos
- 19 San Francisco to Monterey Bay Time?
- 20 Best Fly-fishing in July
- 21 Discounted Rental Car?
- 22 2-day pass through trip in Glacier & Waterton National Park
- 23 A day at Franconia Notch State Park and White Mountain National Forest
- 24 Boston thru New Hampshire to Quebec City
- 25 Colorado Winter Wedding Venue