Planning our first visit to HI in early September (myself, husband and daughter (early 20s). We will be spending 9 nights and splitting our stay between Oahu and either Maui or the Big Island. Looking forward to lots of sightseeing and activities on Oahu - Pearl Harbor, surf lessons, exploring chinatown, driving out to the north shore (and for DD, shopping and seeing any of the locations where LOST filmed).
For the second island, we know it will be more relaxing and we are trying to decide between Maui v. the Big Island. Deciding factor may come down to better snorkeling, as it is an activity we all enjoy. We're interested in both off shore experiences, where you can just wade in from the beach, as well as boat excursions (eg Molokini crater). I have 3 different guidebooks but am having a hard time determining which island would be better for this in early September. I humbly turn to fellow Fodorites for your opinions.
Thanks for any insights you can provide.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Cape Cod
- 2 How many days to spend in San Francisco, LA & Las vegas?
- 3 Grand Circle Road Trip
- 4 3/31-5/29 New Tracy Letts Play!
- 5 San Francisco during Super Bowl week
- 6 Whale Watching in Kauai
- 7 Room With Balcony and Ocean View: $250-$300
- 8 Summer Vaca Destination for families driving from Michigan and Georgia?
- 9 reliable transportation across florida
- 10 Jazz Fest shuttle buses
- 11 Moving to DC ( Nova area) Please help me
- 12 Camping in Yellowstone? Good idea for a family?
- 13 Las Vegas loop
- 14 Car-less in Atlanta (by Train)
- 15 Redwood National Forest
- 16 Grand Canyon Helicopter Ride
- 17 Driving from NY to Boston in February
- 18 Uber and Miami
- 19 Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor - how to get to the city?
- 20 Springfield, Illinois and no car. Worth a slight detour?
- 21 Itinary for Maui - help please
- 22 camping in the Finger Lakes region
- 23 Safe travel route from Medford, Oregon to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 24 4 days in wine country. Where should we stay?
- 25 Which hotel in Washington, D.C.?