Planning our first visit to HI in early September (myself, husband and daughter (early 20s). We will be spending 9 nights and splitting our stay between Oahu and either Maui or the Big Island. Looking forward to lots of sightseeing and activities on Oahu - Pearl Harbor, surf lessons, exploring chinatown, driving out to the north shore (and for DD, shopping and seeing any of the locations where LOST filmed).
For the second island, we know it will be more relaxing and we are trying to decide between Maui v. the Big Island. Deciding factor may come down to better snorkeling, as it is an activity we all enjoy. We're interested in both off shore experiences, where you can just wade in from the beach, as well as boat excursions (eg Molokini crater). I have 3 different guidebooks but am having a hard time determining which island would be better for this in early September. I humbly turn to fellow Fodorites for your opinions.
Thanks for any insights you can provide.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Mini Trip to Smithsonian Exhibits Facility
- 2 Central California Coast Road Trip - Pismo Beach to Monterey
- 3 Reviews/Comments on Caravan Tours
- 4 Lead in me in the right direction for our first Hawaii trip
- 5 NYC - Pastrami sandwich near library, Grand Central Station, St Patrick's
- 6 JFK Terminal 4 to Terminal 8
- 7 Tahoe - Plumpjack Inn vs. Basecamp Hotel
- 8 New England Tour
- 9 Blue Ridge Parkway/Great Smoky Mountains
- 10 Rhode Island Get Away
- 11 Colorado October 16-25, 2017
- 12 Road Trip - SF to Sonoma
- 13 Alaska 19 day itinerary - comments/opinions, please?
- 14 Visiting Kauai...NEXT week!!
- 15 Venice, CA area
- 16 Avis or Budget from LAX
- 17 Pacific Grove/Carmel CA area
- 18 Visiting Kauai...NEXT WEEK!!
- 19 Please help us find a wonderful boutique hotel in the western U.S.
- 20 Adirondacks trip repot
- 21 beach chair and umbrella rentals in carmel?
- 22 When will Key West be recovered from Irma?
- 23 CLT connection times, Charlotte
- 24 Grand Circle Trip from Ohio
- 25 Hotel location Albuquerque