DH and i are considering a week in maui (end of august). in my 'dream life' i'd be going to maui in the WINTER and not in august. however, we've got a baby on the way and we're looking for a getaway before things get hairy!
a bit of background ... we're in our mid-30s, busy professionals from toronto, well-travelled. i was in hawaii as a kid for a family vacation and it was a super memorable trip. with DH, the majority of our travels have focused on urban vacations (versus camping, cottages, nature expeditions, etc.)
a beachfront location and easy access to a beach (that is swimable) is a must for us (along with an oceanview room) for this trip. a pool is neither here nor there for us (we're going all the way to hawaii for an ocean!). since we'll be in maui in august, we'll need air conditioning so that limits our choices as well. we'd like a condo so we can manage our own meals, if we so choose.
expedia is offering some great packages (air, hotel, car) from toronto and i've narrowed down our accommodations choices between MAUI KAI and OUTRIGGER MAUI ELDORADO. both are equally priced (give or take a few bucks).
any thoughts on recommendations for either of these places?
some other questions:
1. what is the mosquito and/or biting bug situation like in maui in august? i have really bad reactions to bug bites (likely explains why i focus on urban vacations!) and being preggers means i can't normally rely on my arsenal of anti-histamines!
2. any comments for activities in maui while preggers? i'll be about 25-26 weeks at the time of this trip.
i've just started planning this trip (like today!) and already, the forums have been a wealth of information (as usual!).
thanks very much in advance!
maui - a few questions
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Seattle: Something Different?
- 2 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 3 Detroit, MI to Portland or bust.
- 4 Back from Miami Beach
- 5 Finger Lakes Itinerary Help
- 6 Blue Ridge Parkway Help!
- 7 Staying in Hollywood or Santa Monica area?
- 8 Boston GTG? 7/17/14
- 9 Las Vegas - what to do solo
- 10 Which National Park/s with 7-year-old & possibly grandparents
- 11 Seeking thoughtful advice on Yellowstone/Tetons trip!
- 12 Best accomodation in LA on a budget
- 13 Exciting new play opening at DR 2 Theatre, New York City, on July 24 2014
- 14 Seattle, Portland, and day trips all around
- 15 Safari Desert Boots by Bata
- 16 Can Anyone Suggest Me Tourism Evolution Services ?
- 17 Grand Canyon helicopter tour from Las Vegas
- 18 looking for suggestions for quiet florida beach front panhandle stay
- 19 San Fran to Crater Lake? round trip one week
- 20 The Driftless Area: An underappreciated region of the Upper Midwest
- 21 One Night in Dallas
- 22 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 23 Current status of Tappan Zee Bridge - summer 2014?
- 24 San Diego - wher to stay
- 25 Seattle Needing some help please