DH and i are considering a week in maui (end of august). in my 'dream life' i'd be going to maui in the WINTER and not in august. however, we've got a baby on the way and we're looking for a getaway before things get hairy!
a bit of background ... we're in our mid-30s, busy professionals from toronto, well-travelled. i was in hawaii as a kid for a family vacation and it was a super memorable trip. with DH, the majority of our travels have focused on urban vacations (versus camping, cottages, nature expeditions, etc.)
a beachfront location and easy access to a beach (that is swimable) is a must for us (along with an oceanview room) for this trip. a pool is neither here nor there for us (we're going all the way to hawaii for an ocean!). since we'll be in maui in august, we'll need air conditioning so that limits our choices as well. we'd like a condo so we can manage our own meals, if we so choose.
expedia is offering some great packages (air, hotel, car) from toronto and i've narrowed down our accommodations choices between MAUI KAI and OUTRIGGER MAUI ELDORADO. both are equally priced (give or take a few bucks).
any thoughts on recommendations for either of these places?
some other questions:
1. what is the mosquito and/or biting bug situation like in maui in august? i have really bad reactions to bug bites (likely explains why i focus on urban vacations!) and being preggers means i can't normally rely on my arsenal of anti-histamines!
2. any comments for activities in maui while preggers? i'll be about 25-26 weeks at the time of this trip.
i've just started planning this trip (like today!) and already, the forums have been a wealth of information (as usual!).
thanks very much in advance!
maui - a few questions
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Old City -- Philadelphia -- Cocktails?
- 2 Palm Springs-Looking for Great Swimming Pool
- 3 Lodging in Mendocino County (Anderson Valley, Booneville, ??)
- 4 Need Ideas for Quiet Vacation in Upstate New York
- 5 united and carry-ons
- 6 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 7 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 8 Any feedback on our roadtrip schedule would be much appreciated!
- 9 Cape Cod in early April
- 10 USA with a 3 year old
- 11 Yellowstone & Grand Tetons Wildlife
- 12 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 13 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 14 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 15 Near Plum Island, MA ...what to see and do?
- 16 Black Canyon of the Gunnison East Portal Road
- 17 Spending February on the Florida Panhandle
- 18 Light hiking around Santa Barbara
- 19 Best seafood restaurant in Boston
- 20 Planning help for honeymoon - likely Maui and the big island of Hawaii
- 21 Most affordable Wineries in Northern California near Napa?
- 22 Car rental through Priceline bidding
- 23 Restaurants in Charleston, SC
- 24 And now...The 100 Best Things to Eat in Philadelphia
- 25 Road Trip Sept/Oct (4 weeks) Key West-Carolina's-Nashville-Memphis-Dallas-Denver