DH and i are considering a week in maui (end of august). in my 'dream life' i'd be going to maui in the WINTER and not in august. however, we've got a baby on the way and we're looking for a getaway before things get hairy!
a bit of background ... we're in our mid-30s, busy professionals from toronto, well-travelled. i was in hawaii as a kid for a family vacation and it was a super memorable trip. with DH, the majority of our travels have focused on urban vacations (versus camping, cottages, nature expeditions, etc.)
a beachfront location and easy access to a beach (that is swimable) is a must for us (along with an oceanview room) for this trip. a pool is neither here nor there for us (we're going all the way to hawaii for an ocean!). since we'll be in maui in august, we'll need air conditioning so that limits our choices as well. we'd like a condo so we can manage our own meals, if we so choose.
expedia is offering some great packages (air, hotel, car) from toronto and i've narrowed down our accommodations choices between MAUI KAI and OUTRIGGER MAUI ELDORADO. both are equally priced (give or take a few bucks).
any thoughts on recommendations for either of these places?
some other questions:
1. what is the mosquito and/or biting bug situation like in maui in august? i have really bad reactions to bug bites (likely explains why i focus on urban vacations!) and being preggers means i can't normally rely on my arsenal of anti-histamines!
2. any comments for activities in maui while preggers? i'll be about 25-26 weeks at the time of this trip.
i've just started planning this trip (like today!) and already, the forums have been a wealth of information (as usual!).
thanks very much in advance!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Christmas in Colorado
- 2 DC Restaurants
- 3 Williamsburg, VA reunion for 80 year olds
- 4 3-day beach weekend in FL Nov for 2 adults
- 5 Anon doesn’t like short grills
- 6 JFK to Washington
- 7 This discarded dough wasn't done rising
- 8 Carrie Fishers flirty smile, early 80s.
- 9 Phoenix for the weekend
- 10 Marfa/Big Bend
- 11 Stellarossa: You Should Know Better
- 12 Driving from FLL to Key West
- 13 LA Cali for 3 days alone, What To Do?
- 14 Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge in Big Sur to reopen at 5pm Friday October 13th
- 15 Driving conditions from Denver to Winter Park
- 16 Route from Denver to SteamboatSprings
- 17 Mardi Gras - avoid or embrace?
- 18 TR Animal Kingdom Florida - WDW
- 19 Gatlinburg/Smokies trip report, with photos and captions
- 20 Los Angeles for Christmas
- 21 PNW & its grudge against the bumbershoot
- 22 Where to stay in Little Rock AR
- 23 Tucson: milestone Birthday Dinner, winter
- 24 Visiting San Antonio early November
- 25 San Francisco/wildfire worries