Starrs is gonna kill me.
I'm taking my 70 yo mom and her best friend to New York mid-August. I've received a lot of great advice here already -- and I probably should have taken it as soon as it was offered. I didn't though. And then, when I did try to book the hotels that were recommended for us, I was stymied by a weird credit card glitch.
I was updating Mom on our plans and venting a little frustration when I said, "I'm tempted to go with our original plan, stay just two nights, and book something right in Times Square if I can find one that my card will work on."
Mom said, "Oh," then "OH!" It was obvious that she was excited about the possibility of staying right in Times Square, even after I told her that everyone says it's loud and chaotic. So this morning I booked a room at the Marriott Marquis. The beds aren't queens, they're doubles -- but there's a sofa bed in the room too. And there's no such thing as a free, er, breakfast -- but our room has a view of Times Square. And since my cousin works for the Marriott chain I'm going to see if she can arrange any perks for her favorite auntie
Now I need help modifying the rest of our itenerary though. On Mom's NY bucket list:
Empire State Bldg (now changed to TOTR w her OK)
Hotel Carlyle (dinner or drinks - a shout out to hometown hero Bobby Short)
Statue of Liberty
We arrive at 6:35 PM on Friday, leave at 3:45 PM on Sunday. Here's what I'm thinking:
Fri: Check in to hotel, grab quick dinner, TOTR at sunset, drinks at 21
Sat: Marvelous Manhattan tour 9AM-3PM, freshen up, dinner at Carlyle, Anything Goes
Sun: Cab to Staten Island ferry, John's Pizza, souvenir shopping, back to Penn Station
Quick meal options between Times Square and TOTR?
Is it possible to just show up for drinks at 21 Club at 10PM-ish on a Friday night?
Cheap/good breakfast spots in/near Times Square?
What time to schedule reservations at the Carlyle before the show on Saturday?
Best souvenir shopping?
Anything else I can/should fit in without wearing the ladies out?
Thank you again for all your help. I wish all of you could hear the smile in Mom's voice each time we talk about this trip.
Mama to Manhattan, Strategy #3
Starrs is gonna kill me.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 September trip to Michigan
- 2 DC, Philadelphia, New York, Maine, Acadia NP and Niagara Falls in 11 days?
- 3 Road Trip
- 4 New York Yankee Station
- 5 Orlando-off-the-beaten-track
- 6 California: Sonoma/ San Fran/ Carmel
- 7 Restaurant recommendations for Washington DC - city centre
- 8 Restaurant recommendations for lower east side & upper west side
- 9 Driving from NYC to Montreal - pls recommend a place to eat in upstate NY
- 10 Have you done an aquarium sleepover?
- 11 Looking for a beach front place from central to northern Cal
- 12 Kauai - Napali Coast - Air vs Water
- 13 Stubhub and NFL Tickets
- 14 Day Trip OUT of Los Angeles
- 15 Roads into Estes Park
- 16 Whale watching
- 17 New York City Borough Walking: Where for Diverse Flavorful Neighborhoods?
- 18 San Antonio suggestions anyone?
- 19 Disappointed with Hotwire for our Austin Rental Car
- 20 Priceline: bid for walkable to Alamo/Riverwalk in San Antonio. Possible?
- 21 Houston in September
- 22 Where to add a few days in Colorado?
- 23 Studio-size Apartments, Guest Houses for rent, Ojai and Ventura
- 24 Great Girls' Weekend in NYC!
- 25 New York City Restaurants