Starrs is gonna kill me.
I'm taking my 70 yo mom and her best friend to New York mid-August. I've received a lot of great advice here already -- and I probably should have taken it as soon as it was offered. I didn't though. And then, when I did try to book the hotels that were recommended for us, I was stymied by a weird credit card glitch.
I was updating Mom on our plans and venting a little frustration when I said, "I'm tempted to go with our original plan, stay just two nights, and book something right in Times Square if I can find one that my card will work on."
Mom said, "Oh," then "OH!" It was obvious that she was excited about the possibility of staying right in Times Square, even after I told her that everyone says it's loud and chaotic. So this morning I booked a room at the Marriott Marquis. The beds aren't queens, they're doubles -- but there's a sofa bed in the room too. And there's no such thing as a free, er, breakfast -- but our room has a view of Times Square. And since my cousin works for the Marriott chain I'm going to see if she can arrange any perks for her favorite auntie
Now I need help modifying the rest of our itenerary though. On Mom's NY bucket list:
Empire State Bldg (now changed to TOTR w her OK)
Hotel Carlyle (dinner or drinks - a shout out to hometown hero Bobby Short)
Statue of Liberty
We arrive at 6:35 PM on Friday, leave at 3:45 PM on Sunday. Here's what I'm thinking:
Fri: Check in to hotel, grab quick dinner, TOTR at sunset, drinks at 21
Sat: Marvelous Manhattan tour 9AM-3PM, freshen up, dinner at Carlyle, Anything Goes
Sun: Cab to Staten Island ferry, John's Pizza, souvenir shopping, back to Penn Station
Quick meal options between Times Square and TOTR?
Is it possible to just show up for drinks at 21 Club at 10PM-ish on a Friday night?
Cheap/good breakfast spots in/near Times Square?
What time to schedule reservations at the Carlyle before the show on Saturday?
Best souvenir shopping?
Anything else I can/should fit in without wearing the ladies out?
Thank you again for all your help. I wish all of you could hear the smile in Mom's voice each time we talk about this trip.
Mama to Manhattan, Strategy #3
Starrs is gonna kill me.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Fall trip, best location to stay in Vermont. Need help please.
- 2 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 3 California (San Francisco, Napa,Carmel/Monterey,Santa Barbara,San Diego)
- 4 Seeking advice for Glacier National Park
- 5 Ideas for a family on a roadtrip around Denver and Utah
- 6 Clearwater FL area
- 7 Los Angeles day trips
- 8 Rapid City to Yellowstone Route
- 9 Business in San diego and then a weeks vacation?
- 10 trip advice from TN to TX
- 11 san diego or nearby area
- 12 middlebury vt snow
- 13 NY to Asheville then country place to stay
- 14 Charlotte NC Lodging & Driving Question
- 15 First Trip to California with Family of 6
- 16 ski trip: utah or colorado
- 17 Caklifornia & Oregon
- 18 Help with Moab itinerary for an overacheiver
- 19 Kauai - day trips to North shore and Waimea Canyon/Kokee State Park
- 20 Route 50 between Virginia and Missouri--Scenic?
- 21 San Fran to Yosemite one night stay
- 22 Drive down the West Coast 2015
- 23 What is the weather like in Kona in November?
- 24 Chattanooga to Washington DC via Blue Ridge Parkway
- 25 Warning: Recent increase in violent crime in New Orleans' French Quarter