Starrs is gonna kill me.
I'm taking my 70 yo mom and her best friend to New York mid-August. I've received a lot of great advice here already -- and I probably should have taken it as soon as it was offered. I didn't though. And then, when I did try to book the hotels that were recommended for us, I was stymied by a weird credit card glitch.
I was updating Mom on our plans and venting a little frustration when I said, "I'm tempted to go with our original plan, stay just two nights, and book something right in Times Square if I can find one that my card will work on."
Mom said, "Oh," then "OH!" It was obvious that she was excited about the possibility of staying right in Times Square, even after I told her that everyone says it's loud and chaotic. So this morning I booked a room at the Marriott Marquis. The beds aren't queens, they're doubles -- but there's a sofa bed in the room too. And there's no such thing as a free, er, breakfast -- but our room has a view of Times Square. And since my cousin works for the Marriott chain I'm going to see if she can arrange any perks for her favorite auntie
Now I need help modifying the rest of our itenerary though. On Mom's NY bucket list:
Empire State Bldg (now changed to TOTR w her OK)
Hotel Carlyle (dinner or drinks - a shout out to hometown hero Bobby Short)
Statue of Liberty
We arrive at 6:35 PM on Friday, leave at 3:45 PM on Sunday. Here's what I'm thinking:
Fri: Check in to hotel, grab quick dinner, TOTR at sunset, drinks at 21
Sat: Marvelous Manhattan tour 9AM-3PM, freshen up, dinner at Carlyle, Anything Goes
Sun: Cab to Staten Island ferry, John's Pizza, souvenir shopping, back to Penn Station
Quick meal options between Times Square and TOTR?
Is it possible to just show up for drinks at 21 Club at 10PM-ish on a Friday night?
Cheap/good breakfast spots in/near Times Square?
What time to schedule reservations at the Carlyle before the show on Saturday?
Best souvenir shopping?
Anything else I can/should fit in without wearing the ladies out?
Thank you again for all your help. I wish all of you could hear the smile in Mom's voice each time we talk about this trip.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 http://supplementbase.com/juvarelle-serum
- 2 Road Trip-San Francisco and Los Angeles
- 3 Maui - luau question
- 4 Mesa Verde National Park Colorado
- 5 Bryce and Zion planning
- 6 The Big Island - Best Way to See the Volcano
- 7 NEW ORLEANS AND CAJUN COUNTRY...A WEEK-LONG FOOD QUEST
- 8 Salt Lake to Telluride Road Trip
- 9 Austin, Hotel
- 10 Landslide damages a portion of Scenic Highway 12 (SR-12)
- 11 Need advise(s) for travel from DFW to Destin FL
- 12 June trip to Colorado HELP
- 13 Monthly vacation rental Siesta Key
- 14 Colorado Itinerary
- 15 Rocky Mountain High...king
- 16 SW Colorado Itinerary
- 17 Drive from Ohio to NYC
- 18 1 year anniversary in Colorado in July
- 19 US Trip
- 20 Bryce and Zion hikes and photography
- 21 Philly Itinerary Help
- 22 Miami Beach and Baseball Trip - Hampton Inn or Sheraton Four Points
- 23 Miami Beach and Baseball Trip - Hampton Inn or Sheraton Four Points
- 24 Colorado Road Trip over Memorial Weekend
- 25 Boston Restaurant suggestion
Starrs is gonna kill me.