Starrs is gonna kill me.
I'm taking my 70 yo mom and her best friend to New York mid-August. I've received a lot of great advice here already -- and I probably should have taken it as soon as it was offered. I didn't though. And then, when I did try to book the hotels that were recommended for us, I was stymied by a weird credit card glitch.
I was updating Mom on our plans and venting a little frustration when I said, "I'm tempted to go with our original plan, stay just two nights, and book something right in Times Square if I can find one that my card will work on."
Mom said, "Oh," then "OH!" It was obvious that she was excited about the possibility of staying right in Times Square, even after I told her that everyone says it's loud and chaotic. So this morning I booked a room at the Marriott Marquis. The beds aren't queens, they're doubles -- but there's a sofa bed in the room too. And there's no such thing as a free, er, breakfast -- but our room has a view of Times Square. And since my cousin works for the Marriott chain I'm going to see if she can arrange any perks for her favorite auntie
Now I need help modifying the rest of our itenerary though. On Mom's NY bucket list:
Empire State Bldg (now changed to TOTR w her OK)
Hotel Carlyle (dinner or drinks - a shout out to hometown hero Bobby Short)
Statue of Liberty
We arrive at 6:35 PM on Friday, leave at 3:45 PM on Sunday. Here's what I'm thinking:
Fri: Check in to hotel, grab quick dinner, TOTR at sunset, drinks at 21
Sat: Marvelous Manhattan tour 9AM-3PM, freshen up, dinner at Carlyle, Anything Goes
Sun: Cab to Staten Island ferry, John's Pizza, souvenir shopping, back to Penn Station
Quick meal options between Times Square and TOTR?
Is it possible to just show up for drinks at 21 Club at 10PM-ish on a Friday night?
Cheap/good breakfast spots in/near Times Square?
What time to schedule reservations at the Carlyle before the show on Saturday?
Best souvenir shopping?
Anything else I can/should fit in without wearing the ladies out?
Thank you again for all your help. I wish all of you could hear the smile in Mom's voice each time we talk about this trip.
Mama to Manhattan, Strategy #3
Starrs is gonna kill me.
- 1 Las Vegas to Zion National Park - Fear of Heights
- 2 Traveling the pacific coast highway and national parks in one week
- 3 What is the United Lounge like at LAX?
- 4 Easter Holiday on Kauai with 10 year old daughter
- 5 visiting Arizona area for 18 days from May19th 2014
- 6 Paul Rabe - A West Chester Question
- 7 Family holiday to Hawaii - which islands?
- 8 NOLA 10th Anniv. Suggestions?
- 9 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 10 US West Coast - Car or Camper
- 11 Sightseeing and restaurants in LA
- 12 Question about Boulder area
- 13 Fort Lauderdale weather in late January
- 14 Savannah or Charleston- If you had to choose.
- 15 Hike down the Grand Canyon in February?
- 16 Grand Canyon in March?
- 17 a very short trip report of our 10 days on the Big Island
- 18 California Tour Groups?
- 19 Hotel near Public Theater
- 20 a very short, uneventful trip report of our 10 days in south Kona
- 21 First timers in Kauai--would love advice/suggestions
- 22 Warm and don't Drive
- 23 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 24 Ohare Clearing Customs from VIE Sat May 24 @ 1:30pm for 3:10pm flight
- 25 PRIDE OF AMERICA