Starrs is gonna kill me.
I'm taking my 70 yo mom and her best friend to New York mid-August. I've received a lot of great advice here already -- and I probably should have taken it as soon as it was offered. I didn't though. And then, when I did try to book the hotels that were recommended for us, I was stymied by a weird credit card glitch.
I was updating Mom on our plans and venting a little frustration when I said, "I'm tempted to go with our original plan, stay just two nights, and book something right in Times Square if I can find one that my card will work on."
Mom said, "Oh," then "OH!" It was obvious that she was excited about the possibility of staying right in Times Square, even after I told her that everyone says it's loud and chaotic. So this morning I booked a room at the Marriott Marquis. The beds aren't queens, they're doubles -- but there's a sofa bed in the room too. And there's no such thing as a free, er, breakfast -- but our room has a view of Times Square. And since my cousin works for the Marriott chain I'm going to see if she can arrange any perks for her favorite auntie
Now I need help modifying the rest of our itenerary though. On Mom's NY bucket list:
Empire State Bldg (now changed to TOTR w her OK)
Hotel Carlyle (dinner or drinks - a shout out to hometown hero Bobby Short)
Statue of Liberty
We arrive at 6:35 PM on Friday, leave at 3:45 PM on Sunday. Here's what I'm thinking:
Fri: Check in to hotel, grab quick dinner, TOTR at sunset, drinks at 21
Sat: Marvelous Manhattan tour 9AM-3PM, freshen up, dinner at Carlyle, Anything Goes
Sun: Cab to Staten Island ferry, John's Pizza, souvenir shopping, back to Penn Station
Quick meal options between Times Square and TOTR?
Is it possible to just show up for drinks at 21 Club at 10PM-ish on a Friday night?
Cheap/good breakfast spots in/near Times Square?
What time to schedule reservations at the Carlyle before the show on Saturday?
Best souvenir shopping?
Anything else I can/should fit in without wearing the ladies out?
Thank you again for all your help. I wish all of you could hear the smile in Mom's voice each time we talk about this trip.
Mama to Manhattan, Strategy #3
Starrs is gonna kill me.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 2 Place for a drink where kids are allowed? An NYC question.
- 3 Hotels in LA ... I know...how long is a piece of string type question...
- 4 Napa Girls Getaway - Need hotel advice
- 5 Grand Staircase Esclante National Monument
- 6 Grand Circle Itinerary Utah
- 7 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 8 My Boston weekend...killing time near MGH
- 9 New York City Restaurants
- 10 Dining in D.C.
- 11 Lunch with little girls UWS?
- 12 Charleston, SC Beaches
- 13 9 Day Trip to Yosemite, Oregon and Washington State
- 14 traveling Amtrak cross country
- 15 Jersey City Parking
- 16 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 17 Washington DC Metro
- 18 AirBnB is illegal in San Francisco,
- 19 Best Glacier viewing (by boat) from Seward or Whittier
- 20 Spring Break in California: San Francisco, Yosemite and up the coast
- 21 Little Bighorn Battlefield & Yellowstone
- 22 Camping Summer of 2015 Yellowstone? Yosemite? GT?
- 23 Las Vegas to Los Angeles via Death Valley
- 24 San Diego/Los Angeles Trip with Teens
- 25 Alaska cruise and land