Starrs is gonna kill me.
I'm taking my 70 yo mom and her best friend to New York mid-August. I've received a lot of great advice here already -- and I probably should have taken it as soon as it was offered. I didn't though. And then, when I did try to book the hotels that were recommended for us, I was stymied by a weird credit card glitch.
I was updating Mom on our plans and venting a little frustration when I said, "I'm tempted to go with our original plan, stay just two nights, and book something right in Times Square if I can find one that my card will work on."
Mom said, "Oh," then "OH!" It was obvious that she was excited about the possibility of staying right in Times Square, even after I told her that everyone says it's loud and chaotic. So this morning I booked a room at the Marriott Marquis. The beds aren't queens, they're doubles -- but there's a sofa bed in the room too. And there's no such thing as a free, er, breakfast -- but our room has a view of Times Square. And since my cousin works for the Marriott chain I'm going to see if she can arrange any perks for her favorite auntie
Now I need help modifying the rest of our itenerary though. On Mom's NY bucket list:
Empire State Bldg (now changed to TOTR w her OK)
Hotel Carlyle (dinner or drinks - a shout out to hometown hero Bobby Short)
Statue of Liberty
We arrive at 6:35 PM on Friday, leave at 3:45 PM on Sunday. Here's what I'm thinking:
Fri: Check in to hotel, grab quick dinner, TOTR at sunset, drinks at 21
Sat: Marvelous Manhattan tour 9AM-3PM, freshen up, dinner at Carlyle, Anything Goes
Sun: Cab to Staten Island ferry, John's Pizza, souvenir shopping, back to Penn Station
Quick meal options between Times Square and TOTR?
Is it possible to just show up for drinks at 21 Club at 10PM-ish on a Friday night?
Cheap/good breakfast spots in/near Times Square?
What time to schedule reservations at the Carlyle before the show on Saturday?
Best souvenir shopping?
Anything else I can/should fit in without wearing the ladies out?
Thank you again for all your help. I wish all of you could hear the smile in Mom's voice each time we talk about this trip.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 2 Grannies, 2 parents & 1 three-yr-old
- 2 Peter J. Burns III
- 3 Suggestions for Sedona and Grand Canyon
- 4 Great Lakes extended road trip
- 5 Looking for areas to live? Commuting to Palo Alto
- 6 Philadelphia Traffic Help
- 7 sf Chinatown restaurant
- 8 New England Tour
- 9 50th Anniversary ocean stay with luxuries?
- 10 Botanical gardens on Maui, Hilo, and Kauai: how much do they differ?
- 11 City of Seattle: What we might miss and the kick ourselves later
- 12 Downtown Denver hotel
- 13 Hotel location Albuquerque
- 14 When will Key West be recovered from Irma?
- 15 San Diego with teens in Februsry
- 16 Olympic National Park (3-4 Days)
- 17 Los Angeles Area Restaurants - 2017 Edition
- 18 San Diego VRBO area
- 19 Queen Anne or Belltown Hotel
- 20 Glacier National Park 2018
- 21 Muir Woods in October
- 22 Alaska 19 day itinerary - comments/opinions, please?
- 23 Chicago - Memphis - NO - Anaheim (train/plane and taxi)
- 24 Southbound lanes at San Ysidro Border Crossing close for 57 hrs.
- 25 Disneyland Grand Californian
Starrs is gonna kill me.