We stopped for lunch in the cafeteria of the Smithsonian American Indian Museum and could not believe the variety of interesting dishes fitting the above description. The cafeteria is set up as a food court with each area featuring the food of a different Indian region of the Americas. It was hard to decide between all of the possibilities but we ended up splitting a large plate called four colors. It was divided equally between a beet, apple, walnut combo, a wild rice, pine nut and some sort of green combo, a mixture of quartered radish with fiddlehead fern, and a sweet potato, green pepper, sauteed onion and sunchoke combo. Each was unique and delicious and each had a few other minor veggie ingredients and spices. These were but a few of the possibilities. The cafeteria opens at 11 AM and closing depends on museum hours. They also have plenty for the meat and fish eaters including planked salmon and bison burgers. The spiced hot chocolate is also a winner.
Looking for Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten free near the Washington, DC mall?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 4 week family trip ideas
- 2 Kanab and Page with Kids Trip Report
- 3 East Coast in December
- 4 2 weeks in FL, Savannah and Charleston
- 5 Three or Four Nights in Moab?
- 6 I am "The Prince of Tides"
- 7 Charleston/Savannah/Asheville, 6 days enough?
- 8 Parking/shuttle near Midway
- 9 Antelope Canyon, Best Friends, Bryce, Zion trip report
- 10 Pyrotechnic Send-off
- 11 Tennessee Alabama Louisiana
- 12 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 13 Florida St George's Island
- 14 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 15 Washington DC in Spring?
- 16 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 17 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 18 Quick advice needed for 1st visit to HNL & Kauai
- 19 Weather in Hawaii in January
- 20 NYC becoming a battleground for Air BnB apartment rentals
- 21 Weekend in NYC
- 22 Looking for good moonstone beach hotels in cambria
- 23 Booking Lodging at the Grand Canyon
- 24 Grand Teton & Yellowstone & ???
- 25 Utah mid Sept Trip Report, Zion, Bryce, Arches- beautiful!