We stopped for lunch in the cafeteria of the Smithsonian American Indian Museum and could not believe the variety of interesting dishes fitting the above description. The cafeteria is set up as a food court with each area featuring the food of a different Indian region of the Americas. It was hard to decide between all of the possibilities but we ended up splitting a large plate called four colors. It was divided equally between a beet, apple, walnut combo, a wild rice, pine nut and some sort of green combo, a mixture of quartered radish with fiddlehead fern, and a sweet potato, green pepper, sauteed onion and sunchoke combo. Each was unique and delicious and each had a few other minor veggie ingredients and spices. These were but a few of the possibilities. The cafeteria opens at 11 AM and closing depends on museum hours. They also have plenty for the meat and fish eaters including planked salmon and bison burgers. The spiced hot chocolate is also a winner.
Looking for Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten free near the Washington, DC mall?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 2 Finding flights and hotels globally
- 3 USA and Canada in 2 months
- 4 Is the New York subway safe?
- 5 What is timeshare in spiritual sense.
- 6 Skiing New Mexico
- 7 Sacramento to State College, PA in late November
- 8 What do you think about Asian tourist manner?
- 9 Hotel in Newton outside Boston - need transportation and related advice
- 10 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas II
- 11 Where to from Tampa?
- 12 Angels Crest and Rim of the World Scenic Drives: Mid-November 2014
- 13 Drive Dallas To New Orleans - Best Food Stops!!
- 14 Need ideas - hGirls' trip to Chicago
- 15 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 16 Chicago O'Hare to Downtown
- 17 Three nights in Chicago -- a report
- 18 Trip Report to Pacific Northwest: August 2014
- 19 I am turning 60 and boy do I need help with my trip!
- 20 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 21 Thinking about moving from PA to Florida (Dr. Phillips area of Orlando)
- 22 Saturday arrival Seattle airport to Lake Crescent
- 23 Grand Canyon , Zion and Bryce Itinerary suggestions
- 24 Drive from Grand Canyon to Prescott next week
- 25 Houston Weekend Planning Help Needed, please