We stopped for lunch in the cafeteria of the Smithsonian American Indian Museum and could not believe the variety of interesting dishes fitting the above description. The cafeteria is set up as a food court with each area featuring the food of a different Indian region of the Americas. It was hard to decide between all of the possibilities but we ended up splitting a large plate called four colors. It was divided equally between a beet, apple, walnut combo, a wild rice, pine nut and some sort of green combo, a mixture of quartered radish with fiddlehead fern, and a sweet potato, green pepper, sauteed onion and sunchoke combo. Each was unique and delicious and each had a few other minor veggie ingredients and spices. These were but a few of the possibilities. The cafeteria opens at 11 AM and closing depends on museum hours. They also have plenty for the meat and fish eaters including planked salmon and bison burgers. The spiced hot chocolate is also a winner.
Looking for Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten free near the Washington, DC mall?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Narrowing things down for DC and Virginia
- 2 San Francisco - mid October
- 3 Stay in Santa Fe or Taos, NM
- 4 Best, most beautiful, unmissable sections of highway 1 on the CA coast
- 5 Vegas hotels for families
- 6 Apartment Rentals DC
- 7 Bob Denver... Where are you?
- 8 Round trip from Chicago
- 9 Something to do besides drink wine in Sonoma.
- 10 Sonoma: Jack London State Historic Park
- 11 Sonoma and Napa Wine Country - How bad is it after the quake?
- 12 John Denver - Rocky Mountain High
- 13 100 Reason to Love New Mexico
- 14 Tour companies
- 15 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 16 Los Abrigados Sedona Arizona
- 17 Zion to Albuquerque
- 18 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour
- 19 Quick Trip to NYC
- 20 Why are hotels in San Francisco sooooo expensive 10/11-10/14/14
- 21 Need advise : Driving to Sequoia then to Las Vegas
- 22 3 weeks in Florida-Sarasota and Everglades recommendations needed
- 23 Nashville - Where to stay that's in the middle of it all?
- 24 DC, New York, Maine in 11 days with kids?
- 25 4th thread on East Coast trip.