We stopped for lunch in the cafeteria of the Smithsonian American Indian Museum and could not believe the variety of interesting dishes fitting the above description. The cafeteria is set up as a food court with each area featuring the food of a different Indian region of the Americas. It was hard to decide between all of the possibilities but we ended up splitting a large plate called four colors. It was divided equally between a beet, apple, walnut combo, a wild rice, pine nut and some sort of green combo, a mixture of quartered radish with fiddlehead fern, and a sweet potato, green pepper, sauteed onion and sunchoke combo. Each was unique and delicious and each had a few other minor veggie ingredients and spices. These were but a few of the possibilities. The cafeteria opens at 11 AM and closing depends on museum hours. They also have plenty for the meat and fish eaters including planked salmon and bison burgers. The spiced hot chocolate is also a winner.
Looking for Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten free near the Washington, DC mall?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Round trip from Chicago
- 2 Hotels in Washington, DC; Alexandria or Arlington with direct metro access?
- 3 Where to stay for one night between Cleveland and Toledo?
- 4 Drive Dallas To New Orleans - Best Food Stops!!
- 5 Saturday arrival Seattle airport to Lake Crescent
- 6 Is this Los Angeles tour feasible?
- 7 Where to from Tampa?
- 8 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas II
- 9 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 10 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 11 USA and Canada in 2 months
- 12 What do you think about Asian tourist manner?
- 13 Chicago O'Hare to Downtown
- 14 December trip from San Francisco to LA
- 15 Angels Crest and Rim of the World Scenic Drives: Mid-November 2014
- 16 Scenic drive from Charleston SC to Charlotte NC
- 17 And now...The 100 Best Things to Eat in Philadelphia
- 18 Hotel in Newton outside Boston - need transportation and related advice
- 19 NYC restaurant for Thanksgiving
- 20 I am turning 60 and boy do I need help with my trip!
- 21 Is the New York subway safe?
- 22 Houston Weekend Planning Help Needed, please
- 23 Need ideas - hGirls' trip to Chicago
- 24 Three nights in Chicago -- a report
- 25 Sacramento to State College, PA in late November