I'm hoping to get a slew of ideas to consider for my winter "get out of the cold" trip to the south. I know I'm starting early...one of my quirks... My preliminary planning for a part Feb/part March road trip from Ohio will probably be solo and for around 30 days. I'm trying to capture interests such as local foods, scenic drives, history, architecture, a taste of the blues, beach, strolling town. I wish to avoid interstates most of the time and am mostly interested in medium and small towns which offer something of interest... I also don't like 1 night stays - getting a break from driving is nice. I prefer my time behind a wheel maxed out a 6 hours (not including sightseeing stops) in a day.
My draft looks like this:
Cincinnati to Memphis (7 hrs - 1 day) Interstate to get rolling on this trip
Memphis 2 nights
Cleveland/Greenwood/or other town 2 nights - I'm planning to stop in Clarksdale on the way. I will set aside a day to visit towns/sites in the area. Ideas?
Galveston, Tx 7 nights - was there recently for 2 days and missed seeing/doing a lot
New Orleans 2 nights - visiting family, been there before
Dauphen Island, Orange Bay, Oyster Beach, or Pensacola, etc. 5 nights - looking for suggestions for a beach town that is reasonable in cost, pretty, relaxing, warm (60's+). Would stroll beach/boardwalks, shop, dine, take a boat ride, sightsee and take day trips. Any ideas for those day trips and sightseeing?
Natchez 7 nights - Seems lots to do & see (plantation tour, shopping, historical sites, Indian culture), day trip to Vicksburg and looking for ideas on other day trips.
Natchez Trace to Nashville - 1 or 2 overnights - I realize that this is a slow route. Suggestions for stops or must-sees nearby?
Nashville - 2 nights - visiting friends, been there before
Back to Cincinnati
I am hoping for answers to the above questions and any suggestions for dining, accommodations and things I haven't thought of. Finally, as a solo, I have a healthy sense of cautiousness (so if you wouldn't want your mom to go there by herself, please don't suggest I go).
Thank you to anyone who takes the time to respond!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 RACKSPACE 1888 260 2909 Installation renewal contact RACKSPACE tec*h
- 2 PRAY FOR THE LEG !!!
- 3 Novel in Progress
- 4 Savannah or Charleston- If you had to choose.
- 5 arizona rte 66
- 6 Moser Homes, Inc.
- 7 Skin Contour Cream (USA): Get Smooth And Soft Skin
- 8 RV road trip from CA to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
- 9 PNW & its grudge against the bumbershoot
- 10 Driving from Chicago to Sacramento
- 11 Short Oregon Trip
- 12 Hotel location Albuquerque
- 13 New offer from Southwest for California residents
- 14 Yellowstone/Glacier - a cabin with a view
- 15 Trip for 2 to Colorado need ideas.
- 16 Another JFK to Manhattan Question
- 17 Cruising the Cs: Canyon de Chelly, Canyonlands, and Capitol Reef
- 18 Has anyone tried Car Wiz for rentals?
- 19 Short Notice
- 20 Advice needed: first trip to Hawaii
- 21 4 days in San Francisco
- 22 LA Cali for 3 days alone, What To Do?
- 23 5 Days in Charleston and Savannah in December?
- 24 Pawley's Island, SC Favorite Restaurants?
- 25 Eating Well In Manhatten